Increasing front visibility

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
These are essentially the same lights as my Denalis, in a different housing. They are bright enough to work as driving lights at night. And if you leave them on all the time, as I do, I think you'll run into situations at night where the 45-degree angle will be blinding oncoming vehicles. I'd go with the more tightly-focused ones. They still show up well for drivers on side streets according to reports I've gotten from church members who've seen me around town.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I like front "marker" lights. The high output LED's (cree) are perfect for that. Actually have used the older version high output LEDs and they work too, just not as well in daylight.

I would go with narrower beam. If you look from the front, at 100ft and off to the side you will still be in the beam.

I am going to try out an even cheaper alternative. Flashlights mounted to my crash bar. :) Yes, I can be a cheap b-----. :)

If the flashlights don't work the way I want then will go with the ones Phil has found.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have been a huge fan of headlight modulators. The apparent movement of the light really catches people's attention.

As opposed to other forms of attention getting devices, such as wearing a hi-viz jacket (which I wear), you actually get feedback once in awhile with headlight modulators. About once every two weeks or so, somebody will flash their high beams at me, or will stick their hands out the window and point at my headlight or do something else in an effort to tell me that they think there is something the matter with my lights. I had one police officer pull me over and another stop to tell me I had I had a problem with my lights.

I have the Kriss unit installed - very reliable. http://www.kriss.com/ Yes, headlight modulators are legal. (I carry a copy of the federal regulation with me on the bike for the LEO who may not know it is legal.)

I also realize there are some riders who do not like modulators - I for one like them. I do, however, turn it off when riding in groups.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I do, however, turn it off when riding in groups.
Thank you for that, Doug! One of the first group rides I ever did was a complicated route in the mountains SW of Denver and a guy on a K75 (the spiritual predecessor of the NT) followed me the whole ride with his modulator on. I had a headache after a couple a' hundred miles of that.

OP
OP
daler
Bike
2011 Black NT700
You should check closely with all pertinent laws. I skimmed the federal regulation allowing modulated headlights a long time ago. I can't remember exactly what it said but it was very explicit in what is allowed. It very well may be the case that only the main, central light may be modulated, not multiple front lights.

kenstone

OK, some strong feelings here.
Allthough there is a national law allowing modulators some/most states require a light sensative switch that will bypass (turn off) the modulator when it's dark.
Police are known to stop those with modulating headlight(s) to check for the switch:(.
Waving their hand over the headlight or ask where the switch is on a bike with a fairing.

When I scan ahead and see someone that needs to see me but may not, I push with my knees, alternating left and right, which causes the bike/headlight to wiggle slightly to get the attention of drivers that could do something stupid if they hadn't seen me.
It usually gets their attention.
Ken

OP
OP
daler
Bike
2011 Black NT700
Ok, since it's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission. Will what I have in mind actually work in reality?

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I have Denalli II mounted to the tip over bumpers. I have had several coments how they increase visibility in daytime. The lights now form a triangle. They also help me see more in the dark time.

Brad

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
You should check closely with all pertinent laws. I skimmed the federal regulation allowing modulated headlights a long time ago. I can't remember exactly what it said but it was very explicit in what is allowed. It very well may be the case that only the main, central light may be modulated, not multiple front lights.
True enough - http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-technical-articles/Modulator-regs.htm

I carry a copy of the regs with me - just to show to the uninitiated LEO.

kenstone

Did you ever show that copy to the police that stopped you?
It's not really important to me, but I have read discussions on this subject in different forums where members have researched their own state laws and/or updated info on the federal law, found conflicting info, and posted links to it.
Modulating headlights certainly work and believe using them is a personal choice.

I had a Barney Fife type stake out my appartment when I was working a temperary job in Oregon because I had out of state tags.
The legals at work advised me that I did not need Oregon tags, I checked with the Oregon DMV and they confirmed it, so I asked them for a letter or something to show Barney Fife.
Answer: "We don't issue get out of jail free cards, if you get a ticket, go to court and tell the judge your situation.":shrug2:
...I got Oregon tags, after paying for/passing an emissions test:redface:
Ken

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
It looks like more than just the main beam may be modulated, BUT, there are very specific switching requirements so all the lights would have to be switched at the same time, at the same amount. Pretty hard to do when you mix filament and LED lights.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Did you ever show that copy to the police that stopped you?
It's not really important to me, but I have read discussions on this subject in different forums where members have researched their own state laws and/or updated info on the federal law, found conflicting info, and posted links to it.
Modulating headlights certainly work and believe using them is a personal choice.

Ken
Yes, I did show the copy to the officer. No problems whatever. He was very professional and polite.

He was also a very quick thinker. The expression on his face was priceless when he saw an old grey-beard as my helmet came off. After he read the federal reg, he said "Actually, I thought it might be some sort of alarm that a thief didn't know how to turn off."

Yeah right! But he was very cool. We chatted a moment, then he wished me a good day.

I too have read threads on other forums about some LEOs not understanding and that is why I carry a copy of the reg. It states quite clearly that it supercedes state regs. The AMA had a recent "Letter to the Editor" question asking why Kansas passed a new law allowing modulators when the federal reg is so clear. The answer was that is made life a bit easier for LEOs who may not have full knowledge of federal regs.

kenstone

Yeh grey hair has worked for me before:rolleyes1: but is a 2 way street as I have also heard "you're old enough to know better than to...":redface:

OP
OP
daler
Bike
2011 Black NT700
Thanks everyone, especially those that stayed on topic. ;) I think I'll probably go with the Model 30 LED off road Spot light like Daboo.
Clint

OP
OP
daler
Bike
2011 Black NT700
Ok, final answer. I decided and purchased a pair of 2" Round 10 Watt LED Mini Auxiliary Work Lights (I liked the looks and the reviews) and a LED Indicator SPST Round Rocker Switch. All from superbriteleds.com
Once again thanks for everyones help and yes that is my final answer.
Clint

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
OK so to follow up with previous post, I finally got my lights mounted.

Costco high output LED flashlights ($10 for 3). They have the CREE type LED's.

They work on 3-4V so takes a bit of a circuit to modify 12V to work. I used a variable voltage regulator with resistors to output 3.8 V when fed with 13V from bike. The two lights draw 1A at 4V (4Watts). The interior of the flashlight is altered. The switch in the base is removed completely and it is fed with wires. The threaded base is then "potted" with epoxy. The entire setup is waterproof and solid Aluminum (not plastic).

I wired them to the high beam and they do really well as daytime 'marker' lights. At night they work as flood lights, good for about 100yd.

The mounts are home made as well (of course). Sheet Al turned into a "P-clip". The mounting point was chosen cause it was convenient and below the headlight level.

20130811_190726_resized.jpg
20130811_190827_resized.jpg

PS bonus is I have at least one backup light in my bag since the same lights are my standard utility flashlight (I think I have 9 or 12 of them around the house and in all the vehicles). And, if necessary I can just mount a flashlight and run it off of battery power if needed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom