Inexpensive Driving Light Alternative

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I noticed this modification in another forum and wondered if this would work on the NT. The VFR modification involved replacing the ugly front amber lens with a clear lens and replacing the bulb with a Switchback LED Bulbs with Projector For Turn Signal Lights. The bulb is a mini projector white and turns to amber when flashing.

I already have Denali minis mounted between the headlight and front fender and notice the way other motorists treat the bike based on if the lights are on or off.
This is the VFR modification link:
https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/86422-5th-gen-honda-vfr800-clear-turn-signal-lens-with-switchback-bulbs/

The NT uses a different bulb but already has a clear front turn signal lens. Maybe something like this might work.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32292928860.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.15.2d5a13c4Tm4dm4

What do you think? Is this asking for a discussion with Troopers at the side of the road?:)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Frosty, those are a neat idea, but I wonder if the turn signal lenses would distort the light from the white LEDs.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The bulbs on the NT are single filament bulbs. The bulbs that the folks are using for the dual function are the LED equivalent of a dual filament bulb. The single filament bulb on the NT operates at a lower voltage when in the running lamp mode. When the turn signal is selected it flashes at the full 12VDC. This is why it appears to have two levels of brightness. I suspect that one could engineer it somehow but it's not as quick and dirty as shown on the VFR.

Mike

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Mike is right. Brilliot has done quite a bit of work with LED replacements on NT.
Don't know how his running light/turn signal is set up.

Brad

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Mike is right. Brilliot has done quite a bit of work with LED replacements on NT.

Brad
Yes, he has replaced the incandescents with LED's but IIRC, they still appear amber at all times. The OP original premise was to have dual purpose running/turn signal lamps. A neat idea if it can be worked out easily enough.

Mike

OP
OP
Frosty

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
The bulbs on the NT are single filament bulbs. The bulbs that the folks are using for the dual function are the LED equivalent of a dual filament bulb. The single filament bulb on the NT operates at a lower voltage when in the running lamp mode. When the turn signal is selected it flashes at the full 12VDC. This is why it appears to have two levels of brightness. I suspect that one could engineer it somehow but it's not as quick and dirty as shown on the VFR.

Mike
Mike. You are correct. The VFR has double filament bulbs for turn signals. They are plug in bulbs but 2 sets of contacts in the base.
I thought it might be some electronic magic, not so. That is why I tapped the brain trust.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R

Brad
All the lights on NaTalie are LEDs.

I used these for the turn signal around, 2-Pack BAU15S 7507 Extremely Bright Amber/Yellow Non-Polarity LED Light.

Be advised that you will need to install load stabilizing resistors across each bulb. 50W 6Ohm LED Load Resistors for LED Turn Signal Lights.

The running lights will not work without the resistors in place. The running light is accomplished by use of Pulsewidth Modulation (PWM) with the stock flasher module.

In the diagram below. The dashed line is equal to a lower DC Voltage, thus the light running at a lower intensity. The LED bulbs that I chose works perfectly fine with this setup.

1568173749657.png

Top Bottom