Info on the Suzuki 2007 GS500F

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Info on the Suzuki 2007 GS500F
Anybody have one of these? GS500F Suzuki. My daughter just bought one a mouth ago and I am doing the service on it now. Was wondering about peoples experience with this machine. I know I know, check the forums. I have and most of the folks there are a bunch of kids with limited info. Also I have looked at U-tube vids. . I want insight that I can trust from people I can trust, thus the reason for this post. The bike is a 2007 with 5400 miles on the clock and the valves are shim over bucket and have never been checked. Planning on checking them soon as the interval is every 4k miles. Would like to know what I can expect when I undress and open her up. Yes, I do have the service manual.

SAM_4720.jpg

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Have had two 500Es. Same bike except for the fairing. The engine is bullet proof, the steel frame is rust prone, the valves are probably fine, petcock is insufficient if you try to bump up the jets, and an SV650 shock bolts right up.
Thanks Bob, Have you ever gone in to check/adjust the valves? She, my daughter, is not going to do any modes to the bike. It runs just fine here in Colorado for her. She is a weekend rider.

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Yep. Make sure you put a rag in the cam chain tower between the pistons or else you might accidentally drop one of those slippery little shims down there, where they seem determined to wedge themselves in an instant into places that are extremely difficult to retrieve them from, the mere memory of which can scar lesser people for life. Otherwise, it is pretty straightforward, certainly easier than the NT.
Did you use the Tappet Depressor tool or some other method to remove the shims. As I was studing the proceedure in service manual, I opened up the pulse generator cover and found a squatter. Mud Dauber Wasp. :doh1:SAM_4722.jpg SAM_4723.jpg SAM_4726.jpg

Bike
Silver NT700V
Chuck,

Your Daughter found a gem. These are great bikes. My first bike was a 2007 GS500F I bought with 400 miles on it. After a year and a half and 15,000 miles I got the NT.

For a forum try GSTwins.com. I found it very helpful and friendly. I just checked and the forum is still up and active.

Last edited:

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Unable to help with the adjustments however have helped a lady friend of mine do all the other service and modifications to this 2004. She really likes the bike and it does very well loaded with camping gear for week long tours. Here's her 500F loaded on our way to Finger Lakes in NY last year.

Top Bottom