Inop Brake light from hand brake

I disconnected and reconnected the two wires at the lower piece on the right handle bar.

I noticed the plunger or switch (whatever that little piece is) on it was flaccid. It goes whatever direction I push it and has no spring. It also gets hot after a few minutes. And if I shake it, the rear light flickers. Not sure how it’s all supposed to behave. I think it’s part number: 35340MM5600P.

I traced the wiring from the right handle bar to the left side harnesses and didn’t see anything that jumped out at me related to the problem the brake light issue.

however, my NT700 have both and audio cable and charging port in the left fairing pocket. It looks like this under the pocket (see attached). Open to thoughts on this and possible way ahead to fix the brake light issue and the weird wiring.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
The brake switch is non-serviceable and will need to be replaced. It is not an expensive part.

Not sure what the additional wiring is for but it is not part of the standard wiring as far as I know.

Seagrass

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
It's most likely just a brake lamp switch. After 139K miles mine gave up the ghost as well. It's about a ten minute repair and IIRC the switch is less than $15. The other wiring looks like an aftermarket harness for fog lamps or driving lamps.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The best way to fix the weird non-standard wiring is to remove it! And the brake light switch is an easy fix as JQL commented.

Top Bottom