Installed The Trunk Today

Neil-OKC

So I decided that $150.00 was way top much to pay the dealer to install my new trunk.

Got it home and opened the boxes. Sure was alot of nuts and bolts and washers.

Took out the instructions and read through them once. Didn't seem like was such a hard job to do(turns out it wasn't).

Not sure if my album will show up but I uploaded some pics of the process. One thing I was worried about at the end was I had a ton of left over parts. I am guessing this is normal and this trunk mounting system is used on more then just the NT.

Was fairly painless and took me about 3 hours only because I took my dear sweet time and checked a few things under the seat and what not. Wanted to get to know my NT better so took that time to look around alot.

The instructions that came with the mounting system were very easy to follow. Though I am an Electronic Tech by trade so these were extremely low level written. Meaning someone with very limited mechanical knowledge should not have to much problem doing it themselves.

Also for the 2 holes you need to drill for the rear plate, I just used a 3/8" drill bit then dremeled it out to the correct size. This was much easier and cleaner then trying to find a keyhole drill bit the correct size.

All in all I am very happy with the end result. Also as you cna see a fullface helmet will fit inside. Mine is a HJC Sy-Max II and takes up alot of room but fits quite nicely.

Can check the pictures at http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/album.php?albumid=154

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
I have found the top trunk to be my favorite and most used farkle. Using it daily on commute to work, for lunch, jacket, gloves, helmet, saves wear and tear on the side bag closures, that many seem to have problems with. Next best farkles are the Rox Risers and seat re-foam job. I have had my NT 14 months now, and I like her better every day.
I would warn that the fabric that keeps lid from opening too far, will probably go away quickly, so be careful when opening it all the way, or closing the lid and cutting them. There have been several ideas for replacement on the site....I used #14 coated electrical wire and crimped on eyelets to make sturdy stop bands.

rcase13

Any one know where I can find a PDF of the rear trunk instructions? I have the factory box on my bike and I don't think it's attached correctly.

tawilke46

One thing I was worried about at the end was I had a ton of left over parts. I am guessing this is normal and this trunk mounting system is used on more then just the NT
That is correct. You will have parts left over you will not use.
The excess parts did make the installation on my bike take a little longer, and somewhat confusing.:confused: The instructions did list which parts not to use on the parts table. Had to sort them out and figure which parts I really needed to use on the NT, especially the bolts. What were those big rubber grommets for?????, etc.:shrug2:

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The trunks are very usefull and the Honda trunk does come with extra hardware. I noticed you did not install the rubber backrest. I thought that came with the trunk.

tawilke46

I noticed you did not install the rubber backrest. I thought that came with the trunk.
I ordered mine through my dealer, and it came with the backrest. I'm guessing that is the way they ordered it. And I am sure I paid for it.
Although it does require you to drill two mounting holes in the lid, which I admit made me a little nervous. Measure twice, double check twice and drill once.

OP
OP

Neil-OKC

I ordered mine through my dealer, and it came with the backrest. I'm guessing that is the way they ordered it. And I am sure I paid for it.
Although it does require you to drill two mounting holes in the lid, which I admit made me a little nervous. Measure twice, double check twice and drill once.
Well actually if you look close before drilling the holes there are two guide marks already inside the lid.

I have not installed the rst pad yet as my wife is deployed for another 6 months and I kind of like the trunk looks without it. Though I know She'll make me install it once she gets back:)

tawilke46

Well actually if you look close before drilling the holes there are two guide marks already inside the lid.
You are right.
The holes you refer to were in the instructions and I located them inside the lid before drilling the holes. I still measured twice and double checked anyway, then drilled the holes.
Did not want any surprises.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Were you ever able to obtain these? I also need a peek at these as my bike was creamed by a garbage truck. I was able to save the trunk, but not the black plastic cover over the light. Now, I am not sure how the spacers go under the mounting plate. Sure wish I had taken pictures up close of the 4 bolts & spacers!

Bike
2010 Red NT700
The mechanic that installed mine told me the extra parts were to be used if you bought a different bike and wanted to mount the topbox

Top Bottom