Installing Honda Heated Grip HELP - middle of the project!!

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Well my ankle that is connected to the knee bone series of projects were almost done when I ran into this snag - any master mechanics who have installed the Honda Heated Grips out there that can help? I didn't get clear directions that help, just "Disconnect the throttle cable from the right grip as INSTRUCTED IN THE MOTORCYCLE"S SERVICE MANUAL" - oh boy! No mention in the service manual but the Haynes Manual suggests that I need to remove the gas tank first - oops!
I have the old grips off, the new grips glued on and to do this I removed the throttle cable from the throttle pulley sleeve on the handlebar (white plastic pulley/tube that fits around the handlebar and upon which the new heated grip is glue on). Fine, but now I can not get the throttle cable ends back into the slots on the pulley. After consulting two tech manuals and one set of instructions for another brand of heated grips, it appears that I was suppose to remove the gas tank in order to get the throttle cable freed first from the throttle body cam to give me enough slack? Does this make sense and is it necessary? Is there anyway of getting it back together without removing the gas tank and loosening the cable at the end by the throttle body?

On a happier note - the MCL bar risers, the Garmin Zumo & (RAM mount) are all wired and working, as well as the new ADVMonster M-30 driving lights and LED dimmer. Some more details to follow soon. The last project always seems to be the killer!

Thanks for any help or suggestions out there.

Jim

OP
OP
ADK Jim

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Anyone able to offer some suggetions?
Thanks, Jim

Bike
2013 Harley Police bike
I just looked at mine. The "pull" cable does have an adjustment sleeve and nut. You may be able to get enough slack with this to get things re-connected. I have no experience with the Honda kit, but with a very few exceptions, twist throttle controls and cables are all pretty much the same.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have never been successful in removing the throttle from the cables without removing the cables from the throttle body so my hat off to you being able to get that done. I just remove the tank and the air box to expose the throttle body. It is pretty straight forward.

Hey, if you do remove the tank, you might as well replace the air filter and since you'll have the air box off, just remove the throttle body and you can check the valves while you are there.... LOL!!

Well my ankle that is connected to the knee bone series of projects were almost done when I ran into this snag - any master mechanics who have installed the Honda Heated Grips out there that can help? I didn't get clear directions that help, just "Disconnect the throttle cable from the right grip as INSTRUCTED IN THE MOTORCYCLE"S SERVICE MANUAL" - oh boy! No mention in the service manual but the Haynes Manual suggests that I need to remove the gas tank first - oops!
I have the old grips off, the new grips glued on and to do this I removed the throttle cable from the throttle pulley sleeve on the handlebar (white plastic pulley/tube that fits around the handlebar and upon which the new heated grip is glue on). Fine, but now I can not get the throttle cable ends back into the slots on the pulley. After consulting two tech manuals and one set of instructions for another brand of heated grips, it appears that I was suppose to remove the gas tank in order to get the throttle cable freed first from the throttle body cam to give me enough slack? Does this make sense and is it necessary? Is there anyway of getting it back together without removing the gas tank and loosening the cable at the end by the throttle body?

On a happier note - the MCL bar risers, the Garmin Zumo & (RAM mount) are all wired and working, as well as the new ADVMonster M-30 driving lights and LED dimmer. Some more details to follow soon. The last project always seems to be the killer!

Thanks for any help or suggestions out there.

Jim

I just went through all this to put on bar risers. You don't have to completely remove the tank--it's made to pivot up at the front on the rear bolt once you remove the fairing pockets and the bolts under the middle cowl lids. But to do that, you remove the seat, the fuel tank rear seal, the rear cowls, and the middle cowl lids. It's a real jigsaw puzzle. You don't have to disconnect any hoses, except maybe a short vapor hose right over the throttle cable ends to make room for your fingers. The rear cowls pop off, the middle cowls have one screw, and the fairing pockets have three bolts, a tab, and a bit of Velcro holding them down. Get your fingers into the seam at the inside edge of the fairing pocket and pull up carefully. Don't lose the silicone rubber grommet around the tab.

OP
OP
ADK Jim

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Well thanks all for your responses! The project is compete (well nearly complete). I wasn't able to get the Honda heated grips back on with out swinging the gas tank up as mentioned above and then getting access to the throttle body and cable adjustments. Finally have the heated grips working, the GPS & MCL bar risers installed and working and the M-30 AdvMonster driving lights. For those interested, I used a couple of stainless steel spacers from McMaster-Carr which I then used on the existing reflector brackets on the front forks. My only issue that is still unresolved is that I purchased a Powerlet receptical (like a cigarette plug) which I installed in the left hand pocket and an adaptor that would allow me to charge my iPhone or other USB devices. The problem is that the adaptor was defective and shorted the circuit blowing a fuse. The company is making good on the part and it should be here in a day or two. I'll post pictures of the final project if anyone would like to see the various installs. Thanks again, all who responded with help. Jim

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Good job, Jim! I'm glad everything is working out so well for you. I'll get your stickers in the mail tomorrow.

BTW, if we make it to WV, you can have a Coke. I'll have coffee (or stove fuel and bourbon).

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
... My only issue that is still unresolved is that I purchased a Powerlet receptical (like a cigarette plug) which I installed in the left hand pocket and an adaptor that would allow me to charge my iPhone or other USB devices. The problem is that the adaptor was defective and shorted the circuit blowing a fuse. The company is making good on the part and it should be here in a day or two. I'll post pictures of the final project if anyone would like to see the various installs. Thanks again, all who responded with help. Jim
Carefully check the polarity of the socket. I installed a 12v socket in the left pocket and later removed the pocket. When I reconnected the wires the power to the socket were connected in reverse. After the second USB converter failed I checked the polarity. I thought I had made the original install "idiot proof" ...

OP
OP
ADK Jim

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Frosty - Appreciate your post. The Powerlet I believe can only be connected one way. When I called the company, they didn't seem too surprised that it failed. Hoping this fixes the problem. :smile:

Top Bottom