Insulated clutch and brake levers

elizilla

OK, so they aren't really heated. But I love my heated grips, and I bought these gloves that are designed specifically for use with heated grips - they are thin on the inside, where my palms and fingers touch the heated grip, and insulated on the outside. And I find that like them except for one thing: When I use the front brake or the clutch, the levers are really cold! Brrr! The metal makes them into big heat sinks.

So today I insulated them. I wrapped them in a thick layer of self-vulcanizing rubber tape (aka "Rescue Tape"). Then I used electrical shrink wrap over the top, to smooth and protect it. 3/4" fits over the ball at the end of the lever, and shrinks to fit smoothly over the lever.

We'll see if this helps with the cold levers, and how well it holds up under UV, over the summer. If it doesn't work out, well, it's easy enough to remove, and I didn't buy anything special for it - this was just stuff already in my garage.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Innovative idea, Katherine. I'm sure that will take some of the sting out of the cold metal levers.

OP
OP

elizilla

Don't point the heat gun at your plastics while shrinking tubes. I deflect the heat with piece of cardboard when I do something like this.

Igo

Yeah Rick. She's trying to tell you not to shrink wrap your NT with the body panels but she's too nice to say it that way.

Top Bottom