interesting front tire wear?

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
So i havnt been hitting the twisties very often lately but have been commuting 12 miles each way to work pretty regularly. There is one high speed longer left hand flyover on the way to work and a fast highway right sweeper on the way home. I also have a roundabout that i sometimes do a few laps and try to drag a peg:ROFLMAO: I dont think i have ever had a tire wear more on the sides than the center. Getting a Road5 today...

nt700fronttire.jpg

This was about 9000 miles.

Last edited:

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Not that unusual... maybe the tire pressure is low.. or high.. doesn't matter, looks like you got good miles out of it.. replace and repeat.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
What you are observing is normal wear from the crowned roads and city streets here in California. Also, lane-splitting in traffic on California's highways contributes to this type of wear. I think that road reflectors and the cement expansion joints compound the overall effect as well.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Also many tires are multi compound with a harder compound in the center & softer rubber on the sides.

Brad

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
What kind of tire is/was that? I would be disappointed with only 9K miles.

Mike

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
Its a pilot road 4. Here is my last pr3 with 6500 miles...

pr4.jpg

I dont think i am much of a "trail braker"?? That was kinda my point, i have not been doing much "sport" riding... lots of hard braking... so the center of the tire lasted longer? When i am riding hard, i generally brake hard while vertical and then turn in. I dont usually associate tire wear with braking, but it makes sense that it would.:unsure:

Last edited:

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
here is my tire miles chart. you must be riding on sharp roadways. I do wear them down past wear bars with these miles, cause I ride a lot. just passed 201,101 miles on my first NT Oct 2018, now onto my 2nd NT

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
The PR4 is a dual compound tire with softer rubber on the sides. I had a tire wear similar to yours and it surprised me a little bit. I think it was a Roadsmart2.
Tire mileage is quite variable depending on location, roads, riding style, etc. I don't do too well with mine but almost all my riding is short trips where I don't go more than a few miles without braking, accelerating, or turning. I believe the wear would be much better out on the open road.

Brad

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
Wow Woodaddict, you are a hi mile legend! Do your tires get flat spotted or do they stay roundish? Good to know the NT will go farther than i will:LOL:

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
yes, they have about a 1.5" or so wide flat middle. just looks funny as some tires will wear from the hard center edge to outside in a reverse like cup!! I do lean it over!
the worst for flat spotting was OEM tires, the nubs wore in a reverse like pattern and would make more noise in corners. it would trap some air which made more noise. the tires will rarely stay in in roundish shape, cause of different compounds for all the "better" cost tires.

and I do usually ride longer distance to get better wear. my work commute is 49 miles one way

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
and I do usually ride longer distance to get better wear. my work commute is 49 miles one way
When Woodaddict left WV after the Rally last May, his rear tire was basically gone. He knows, probably within a tenth of a mile, how far he can push tire wear. Maybe....

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My OEM front pads lasted 71,000 miles. I put EBC sintered pads on and replaced them after about 40,000 miles.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I replaced the front pads at 31,000 and the rear pads about 1,000 miles later. That is my mostly short trip commuter mileage. Your mileage may very. Since brakes are on your mind you might look at the rear pads to see what is left if you haven't already.

Brad

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
When Woodaddict left WV after the Rally last May, his rear tire was basically gone. He knows, probably within a tenth of a mile, how far he can push tire wear. Maybe....
not just rear.........front was worn too. when I got home I replaced both front and rear, well maybe after a couple more days to work. I had them ready in garage

Top Bottom