Interesting video of bike "incident"

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
And what we can all learn from it. Ruriko's Haybusa falls over and dumps her down a six foot embankment. She gets up, slightly injured, and two people help her right the bike....but they are not bike people and she is dazed....so the bike falls again, this time on top of her....Sometimes, we dont know how dazed we are after an incident and can make mistakes....sometimes we are tired and we are doing too much and we are not thinking clearly...
Normally, she is very careful on where and how she parks her huge bike, but it is clear she was not that way on her first attempt to park the bike. I have this issue with parking on mountain passes at pulloffs...the slope of the pulloff can be deceiving so I am careful to see which way the bike wants to roll and how much light is under the side stand...before I lower the bike.....

My personal opinion for me is that I dont park the bike in gear. If I HAVE to do that, then I am not parking the bike correctly. JMTC.
Dont forget to turn on the subtitles so you know what is going on.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Odd to see her make a novice mistake, then make it again without the helmet... but, the adrenaline was flowing and that affects your ability to reason and take the steps you would normally take in your minds checklist.

We've all had our oops moments. I know one guy in Big Bend that stopped similar to this but bike was pointing uphill, side stand on the road-side, drop off on the right. When he got back on the bike he just lost his balance and went over on the right... just a small maybe 2 foot drop into Texas scrub brush and missed the cactus...

I even know one guy that didn't check his tire before a long ride.... :oops:

I think she was good to stop the ride vs covering a healing would w/helmet that might induce an infection.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I agree with you, Harry. Some bikes roll forward off the side stand much easier than others. Some have a notch preventing the bike from rolling forward (IF the sidestand is fully deployed). Best practice is to put it in first gear.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
We've all had our oops moments.

Is this confession time Joe??? Or could there be more than one of us???

I stopped for gas and was doing an “on the bike” fill with the bike on the sidestand. I was leaning to the left (no pun intended) to push the “no car wash” button and, with the help of a SD wind, pushed my bike over to the right. Oops.

By the way Joe, that front tire is fine. The “chop” makes it look much closer to the wear bars than it really is. But I’m ordering new ones anyway. It is truly timely because my wife just bought another horse, so I’m entitled. Or maybe I should just buy a new motorcycle. 🤔. I think I’ll try a set of Anakees this time. They cost less than a divorce. Anyone else here ever try them ?

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Is this confession time Joe??? Or could there be more than one of us???

I stopped for gas and was doing an “on the bike” fill with the bike on the sidestand. I was leaning to the left (no pun intended) to push the “no car wash” button and, with the help of a SD wind, pushed my bike over to the right. Oops.

By the way Joe, that front tire is fine. The “chop” makes it look much closer to the wear bars than it really is. But I’m ordering new ones anyway. It is truly timely because my wife just bought another horse, so I’m entitled. Or maybe I should just buy a new motorcycle. 🤔. I think I’ll try a set of Anakees this time. They cost less than a divorce. Anyone else here ever try them ?
No, wasn't me.. and I signed an NDA so I can't say anything else.

I dropped the RT at a gas station earlier this year, was taking off and killed it and the torque pushed it a little to the right... a little too much you might say... lol

I had some Anakee 3s on the V-strom and it had 10k miles on those tires when I sold it, still looked like it could do 2k more...

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I certainly wouldn't have stopped and parked my bike that close to the edge of a 8-10 ft bank. She's lucky her Hayabusa didn't go over the edge and land on top of her! Unless my bike wants to roll, I usually leave it in neutral...just being a lazy old fart.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Odd to see her make a novice mistake, then make it again without the helmet... but, the adrenaline was flowing and that affects your ability to reason and take the steps you would normally take in your minds checklist.

We've all had our oops moments. I know one guy in Big Bend that stopped similar to this but bike was pointing uphill, side stand on the road-side, drop off on the right. When he got back on the bike he just lost his balance and went over on the right... just a small maybe 2 foot drop into Texas scrub brush and missed the cactus...

I think she was good to stop the ride vs covering a healing would w/helmet that might induce an infection.
Yeah, I know the same guy who checked the tire with a retired USAF pilot and both were astonished on how fast the tire wore....they wear faster the second half...
Many times, my being tired, hot, stressed...has affected my reasoning and abilities. I remember one ride with Frosty and Rick through the Sioux reservation to the rally...a way too long ride in the heat for me...I even took a nap....but once at the Spearfish campground....on the grass and stopped...I simply rolled over on the NT's port side.....funny at the time...
I think Ruriko was tired...she travels by her self and sets up her equipment and is trying to do too much at once at the end of a long day....and it bit her. A good lesson for us all. Lots of times, when things go south, the best thing you can do is nothing....stop, take a breath, and recover and think......and evaluate.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I agree with you, Harry. Some bikes roll forward off the side stand much easier than others. Some have a notch preventing the bike from rolling forward (IF the sidestand is fully deployed). Best practice is to put it in first gear.
I respectfully disagree. One, I doesnt keep the bike from rolling. Go to the garage and try it. Put the bike in gear with the side stand down. Now, lift the bike up off the stand and tell me you cant move the bike forward and back. My VFR will roll back and forth 3 inches. Any bike parked on the down hill is a recipe for a fall. Especially fully loaded and if one has short legs. If you want to stop the bike's engine in first gear, lower the side stand, then push the bike forward to engine compression, and lower the bike to the stand on a downward slope, go for it. Not me.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I certainly wouldn't have stopped and parked my bike that close to the edge of a 8-10 ft bank. She's lucky her Hayabusa didn't go over the edge and land on top of her! Unless my bike wants to roll, I usually leave it in neutral...just being a lazy old fart.
It was even scary for me to watch her cross that foot bridge! Frosty and I were in a similar situation a few weeks ago in the Big Horns....I was leading and Frosty blew his horn and pulled over to the side of the road with some issue...the side with a very long drop off. We were on a very twisty, narrow , rough part with terrible sloping shoulders.... I went ahead a few hundred yards, found a place that was semi safe to pull off on the uphill side but there was no way I was going to attempt to park or even attempt a U turn on an FJR, with 100 lbs of junk. I called him on the phone but his cell phone had no reception, so I decided to just wait for awhile and see if he could resolve his issue and catch up, which he did. On many bikes, the geometry of the side stand is such that it doenst take alot of force to roll them forward on a down slope off the stand.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
When the parking spot is at too much of an angle for my comfort, I try and park it diagonally to lessen the slope...and of course, leave it in gear. What is often precarious for me is when that angle results in the bike leaning too much on its sidestand! :oops:

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
When the parking spot is at too much of an angle for my comfort, I try and park it diagonally to lessen the slope...and of course, leave it in gear. What is often precarious for me is when that angle results in the bike leaning too much on its sidestand! :oops:
Frosty has that issue also. Putting on a big foot really helps for one thing. For another, Looking at the daylight under the side stand before easing the bike over helps. Frosty knows that when I pull into a rest area to just hang back and watch. I pull to an empty end, determine what the slope looks like, then park nose uphill and if I dont like the daylight under the side stand, I move the bike a bit.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I learned to observe/assess where I'll park at the gas station during fill-up because some of them have concrete sloping away from the island to aid water drainage and sometimes, I've found the bike sits too upright on the sidestand to feel safe. :(

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
In reflecting back on my SAD's, I will have to say that the majority of them came when I was parking the bike in a precarious position. I am exceedingly cautious when parking but even so, Murphy's Law has a way of giving me a boot in the ass from time to time..... <sigh>
:censored:
Mike

That second fall was tough to watch. Things can and do happen to a rider at any time, she was fortunate someone was there to help. I’ve done things like forget to drop the sidestand on my Bking and let me tell you when that weight comes down it is impressive. Actually caught the bike and kept it from falling over but it really felt like there were two guys on the other side of bike trying to push it back over.

Dropped the NT in the garage showing off to my buddy the first week I had it. Zero damage and it was easy me to pick up. We had a nice laugh at that one.

Love her Hayabusa but even a big strong guy like me would be riding a lighter much less powerful bike in Japan, likely an old 400cc four screaming everywhere.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
That second fall was tough to watch. Things can and do happen to a rider at any time, she was fortunate someone was there to help. I’ve done things like forget to drop the sidestand on my Bking and let me tell you when that weight comes down it is impressive. Actually caught the bike and kept it from falling over but it really felt like there were two guys on the other side of bike trying to push it back over.

Dropped the NT in the garage showing off to my buddy the first week I had it. Zero damage and it was easy me to pick up. We had a nice laugh at that one.

Love her Hayabusa but even a big strong guy like me would be riding a lighter much less powerful bike in Japan, likely an old 400cc four screaming everywhere.
Yeah...her first bike is a Triump 675...but she has had lots of mechanical issues with it. I think it is working now...... dont know what she sees in the Haya but oh well. For touring, she could have picked something in between.
a rur t.jpg

Top Bottom