Interpreting tire date codes

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I should already know this, but the nuances are escaping me.

The tires on my NT show the following date codes.

Front: 0117
Rear: 4619

If I'm correct, that yields a manufacture date of January 2017 for the front, and ... April or June of 2019 for the rear?

Michelin Pilot Road 4's, by the way. They show no signs of dry rot or cracking. The front holds air and doesn't lose even a pound over a week. The rear needs a shot of O2 once in a while.

Other than the age making me nervous they seem fine. That said, new rubber is a top priority as I tend (or at least attempt) to wear the side-sipes as much as I do the centerline of the tread.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I should already know this, but the nuances are escaping me.

The tires on my NT show the following date codes.

Front: 0117
Rear: 4619

If I'm correct, that yields a manufacture date of January 2017 for the front, and ... April or June of 2019 for the rear?

Michelin Pilot Road 4's, by the way. They show no signs of dry rot or cracking. The front holds air and doesn't lose even a pound over a week. The rear needs a shot of O2 once in a while.

Other than the age making me nervous they seem fine. That said, new rubber is a top priority as I tend (or at least attempt) to wear the side-sipes as much as I do the centerline of the tread.

Thanks in advance,

Rick
If I recall correctly, the 4619 designates the 46th week of 2019 which makes it November 2019.

Mike

OP
OP
basketcase

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
If I recall correctly, the 4619 designates the 46th week of 2019 which makes it November 2019.

Mike
Roger that. Thanks.

Extrapolating that thinking to the front would make the front ~ 6 years and 5 months old, and the rear 3 years and 7 months old.

Tread wise the front is about 2/3's gone; the rear in turn appears to be fairly new.

Age wise neither of them is really sketchy, but with the tread considered the front is both worn and old enough for me to start actively shopping a replacement. In light of the age I'll rethink the matter of the rear.

Thanks again,

Rick

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Roger that. Thanks.

Extrapolating that thinking to the front would make the front ~ 6 years and 5 months old, and the rear 3 years and 7 months old.

Tread wise the front is about 2/3's gone; the rear in turn appears to be fairly new.

Age wise neither of them is really sketchy, but with the tread considered the front is both worn and old enough for me to start actively shopping a replacement. In light of the age I'll rethink the matter of the rear.

Thanks again,

Rick
Rick, the six years max is a rule of thumb. The two major culprits to premature tire failure are UV radiation and atmospheric ozone. Ambient temps are also a determinant to tire longevity. If you have tires that have been stored inside out of the sun in a controlled temperature and away from electric motors your tires can be run much longer. If you don't know the history or storage conditions, it is better to err on the side of caution and replace 'em.

Mike

OP
OP
basketcase

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
@mikesim thanks. I've already started shopping front tires. A local friend has a motorcycle tire machine at his work (shop) so I'll make a trip there one day to get it done.

Top Bottom