iPhone 4S on a Deauville/NT700VA

Nobby

I don't know of any of you use an iPhone, but I've found it's pretty neat for biking when used in conjunction with a bluetooth crash-helmet.

That said, we've all read the horror stories of an iPhone detaching from the bars/mount on the freeway/motorway and kamikaze'ing itself under the wheels of the truck behind. :eek1:

I saw this product:

[video=youtube;W4FrLGTumY8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4FrLGTumY8&feature=plcp&context=C31c3a11UDOEgsToPDskJSI6WM60etTySYsS7DP7FQ[/video]

It cost me ?27.99 and I've been using it on my Honda CB500S for a while now without issues, so have just migrated it to the Deauville.

A simple clip fastens around the bars:

Bracket by Nobby_Deauville, on Flickr

The Waterproof case snaps securely into this:

In Situ by Nobby_Deauville, on Flickr

While the clip feels solid, I'm paranoid about the phone dashing its brains out on Her Majesty's highways, and given that the 64Gb model is ?800 in the UK, so for "belt and braces" security, I've hooked the Lanyard (supplied with the unit) around the bar risers:

Lanyard by Nobby_Deauville, on Flickr

Voila! There's enough clearance to avoid the case (or Lanyard clip) scratching the tank.

I use a Duchinni D619 helmet - Flip-front and integrated bluetooth.

I can happily listen to music, use the Sat-Nag (which interrupts the music when it wants to tell me something) and receive phone calls.

The iPhone4S also comes with Siri voice recognition, so by pressing the home button on the iPhone, I can ask it to "Phone Mrs Nobby" and it immediately connects to her so she can tell me what I want to do ;-)

Interested if anyone else has anything similar or handy alternatives. . .

Nobby

Nicole

I would interested in if they have that for generic phones

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Sorry, should have been more specific. The Linkie-Thingie for the item on the website not just the website. But I've found it on page two of the "Ultimate Addons" section:

iPhone 4 Waterproof case

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I have used my Zumo 660 as an intermediary between the helmet bluetooth and my phone. This leaves my phone tucked away inside my coat or even in my top box. This works better with some combinations of phone and helmet bluetooth than others.

Bike
Black NT700VA-8 ABS
I have just got the Ultimate Addons mount and soft generic waterproof case for my HTC Wildfire S. Easy fit but NT bars are small in diameter and needed a little packing on the clamp and, if you have the std Honda heated grips, then mounting space is a bit tight. With care a power lead (smaller and more flexible the better) can be fed into the base between the zip joins if required - have a USB outlet in the LH pocket. Clear front allows touch screen to work fine as well - about ?20 in the UK (inc lanyard....) - seems well made.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
With bluetooth built-in, you don't need to have the phone in front of you. I keep mine in my tank bag, connected to the headset on the helmet. Choose a playlist and go, and just tap the helmet to answer a call, etc. I don't trust myself to fiddle with the phone while riding. You're braver than I!

taldric

I actually like having my GPS (in this case my phone) out in front of me to see the map. Just a comfort thing.

The biggest problem I have had with the iPhone 4 and 4S has been that when the phone is in direct sunlight the device will heat up and shut itself down. This is due to the heat buildup from direct sunlight on the screen. To solve it I have made a shade out of plastic that fits over my iPhone holder and gives about 3 inches of shade on 3 sides. This has made it work perfectly in all weather now, but it is bulky and less than "stylish".

I like the case linked to above and want to try it out. Has anyone seen one for sale this side of the pond? I haven't seen that exact solution in the US.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
direct sunlight the device will heat up and shut itself down
Tim, please take it back. Never complain about direct sunlight in the PacNW.:rofl1:

I have 2 ram ball mounts on the handlebar riser, one for GPS, one for HTC phone. My wiring is such that I can charge one a time. I carry the phone in a pocket unless it needs charging.

Audio from music or GPS directions distract me more than fiddling with GPS. I ride all day with earplugs and enjoy the engine sounds. I know....boring.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I like having my Droid in front of me too. It is now mounted on the handlebar clamp (drilled and tapped for my Ram ball). The GPS is above the dash. I do not have either waterproofed. The phone I just remove and put in tank bag in case of rain. The GPS has survived several rain storms even though it is an automotive type Magellan. One day I will kill it and can then justify a good Zumo :)

I like that iPhone case though. If I could find one like that for the Droid I'd get it.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The GPS has survived several rain storms even though it is an automotive type Magellan. One day I will kill it and can then justify a good Zumo
Good luck with killing it. I have been using an automotive Magellan 4250 on the bikes for over two years now and it survived everything from pouring rain to drops off the Wee without any problems. All without any protection other than a cheap screen protector...

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
ROFL, that's the same one I have. I wish Magellan actually supported their stuff, like a recent map update, and I'd probably still have it in my truck. I may just have to smash it with a rock so I can get a new one :) I'll just tell the wife I dropped my helmet on it :D

OP
OP

Nobby

Yeah I often use the sat-nag on audio only with the iPhone tucked in me pocket, but sometimes with fiddly traffic junctions, the visual is important.

I successfully fitted Oxford Hot Grips this weekend. Thanks to the many useful walk-throughs here, I (amazingly) managed to removed the black panel and storage box thingy without damage, injury or screws left over. (That's rare for me; I put the 'k' in 'incompetent'). I wired it straight into the battery (for now), as I haven't yet sussed out the wiring malarkey - I have a strong feeling that the European 2006 NT700VA/Deauville is subtly different to both the European NT650, and the later 700.

There may also be differences between US and EU versions based on various forums. I hear (not with 100% confidence) that the EU model supports more than one Hondaline power device (e.g. power socket AND heated grips), whereas the US model supports one or t'other. Between '06 and 2010 versions and US and EU models, there are too many variables for me to be certain that I'm going to get it right (The Blue wire or the red wire, Riggs?).

Next job is a better mount for the iPhone now the Hotgrips controller has nicked the only naked bar space I was using for the iPhone bar clamp. The RAM-ball doodah looks spiffing - especially fitted in the spare wing mirror threaded hole, so I might try that.

Then it'll be a power source for the phone - before I do that I need to get my head round all the options - outlet near the bars for in-use charging (dash or fairing pocket mounted), or one in the rear box, pannier or tank-bag for stowed-away charging. If I ever deduce how to take a feed from the option connector(s) I'll also reconnect the hotgrips to an ignition isolated circuit. I'm paranoid that my amnesia will kick in (I've had it for as long as I can remember, baddum-ching) and I'll have a battery as flat as roadkill and two melted puddles of rubber on the garage floor under the handlebars.

Meanwhile, thanks for all the handy hints and advice. I'll investigate a US-friendly supplier for the iPhone case, but if all else fails, I'm happy to grab one here and mail it over the puddle.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Congrats on the Oxford grips. I recently put them on my bike as well, wired into the accessory harness (it also connects to my powerlet and cig lighter sockets). I also like that it is a switched power source as I know my old age memory will fail me :) I love the grips too.

To repeat a bit, I had my Ram ball mounted on the left mirror mount screw location. It worked fine, but, it puts the phone in a direct blast of air. I was never really satisfied with that location, especially in the cold. I instead got a drill bit and 1mm tap and mounted it on the handle bar clamp instead. You can buy one drilled and tapped but it is a 5min job (and $10 worth of drill and tap) to do it yourself. The only downside is that now it is over the ignition key area so you have to use the key from the side. Not a huge deal but some may not like that. If not for the fork lock I'd move the switch. Then there is mounting it somewhere on the dash. My GPS has a Ram ball mount attached to the fairing above the dash. Two screws and doubled backed adhesive tape. Would be an OK spot for the phone too. Have to position it right so it doesn't interfere with the windshield. Too many choices :)

Top Bottom