iridium shields

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Does anyone know if those mirrored face shields are tinted or just clear with the mirror finish?

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Most that I have seen are tinted with mirror finish. Don't know about all of them.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
I decided to experiment with an amber face shield. It may look nerdy but I am going to see if the amber, coupled with the internal sunvisor compliment each other. Also, to see how the amber is at night...and by 'night' I mean early morning waiting for the sunrise. I rarely ride at night

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The mirrored face shield on my Shoei is tinted with a mirror finish.
+1 It is dark enough I swap shields as soon as it starts getting dark.

Also, to see how the amber is at night...and by 'night' I mean early morning waiting for the sunrise.
I have a set of "Yellow" RayBan sunglasses with reading lenses that I initially had made to wear on the range while shooting. I have found they do help me see better when riding or driving in low light conditions. The yellow lenses gives everything a better definition while cutting down the wet road and headlight glare... Your results may vary as I had lens replacements in both my eyes about ten years ago which is a real game changer for your vision.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
I am playing with visors because I think I got the new helmet bug out of my system last night.
I have been agonizing/lusting after new modular helmets, but it seems the only time you really benefit from a flip up is when you aren't moving?!?!?!
Am I wrong?
is there something I am missing?
Dont get me wrong, I want one but I cant justify the expense just yet

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I wear a RF-1100 full face, my wife wears a Neotec. Since she wears glasses it is easier for her to "gear up" with her Neotec than it was with her old RF-900. When we stop at a stop light she flips her chin bar up and grabs her water bottle for a drink, I can't do that...at least nearly as easily. She can just hit a switch and drop, or raise, her tinted internal visor...I can't do that... I have to carry a clear and tinted visor, she always has both available without stopping to swap them.... If I could find a Neotec that didn't give me a jaw ache I would be wearing one today for all the "advantages" it offers over my RF-1100... That's my :twocents1:

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
I tried on a Neotech this weekend and fell in love, but $600 is so much money...Or Revzilla is selling N104s for $319 (25%off, makes me wonder if there is a new iteration already coming out or did 'Zilla buy too many)...Or a Revolver EVO for $199
The thing is, I dont need a new helmet, so I am trying to be grown up about it and wait til mine is at least two years old
But its so hard to be grown up when it comes to riding gear

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Okay, here is a little "fuzzy math" to help you "justify" the cost...:D The Neotec is approximately $600. It will last five year before Shoei advises on replacing it. Initial cost = $600, Term = 5 years: Annual Cost = $120. Monthly Cost = $10. Weekly Cost = $2.50. Daily Cost = $0.35. Is the Daily Cost of $0.35 worth the comfort, safety, and riding enjoyment having the Neotec will give you?

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Is the Daily Cost of $0.35 worth the comfort, safety, and riding enjoyment having the Neotec will give you?
You are smoooooth:smile:
Reminds me of my car selling days when we were trying to get someone to bump up 30 bucks a month on payments
"you mean you wouldnt give up ONE COKE A DAY to get the car you want???"

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yes, the advantages for a modular are mostly when stopped. Unless you have a cupholder or want a quick smoke while riding :)

I smoke cigars, especially when driving my truck on a long trip. So, have experimented with cigars on the bike. When the wind isn't cross wise the windshield provides enough protection to flip up the visor on my 3/4 helmet and smoke a 'short' cigar. Can also drink a cup of coffee or other beverage. BUT...that was about as far as I got. The chances of a gust blowing ash in my face was too much a hazard for such a habit. And if I want something to drink I stop.

If you need to drink something while on the road a camelback with a 90deg mouthpiece works with a full face helmet as well as a modular.

Last, many of the modulars have larger openings so you have less obstructed vision than a FF.

So, take your pick.

For me, I'd like to try the Lazer carbon fiber helmet. Very light, and, if it fit right and is not noisy I would buy it. It has a photochromatic face shield instead of a visor. Not sure if I would like that or not (and new shields cost over $100). Otherwise I think a Schuberth C3 or Nolan (if they fit) will be on my list.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I have been agonizing/lusting after new modular helmets, but it seems the only time you really benefit from a flip up is when you aren't moving?!?!?!
For me, the biggest dividend of a modular is being able to put my helmet on and take it off without taking my glasses on and off. With a full-face, I could never find a place to put my glasses where I could be sure that they wouldn't end up (lens-down) on the pavement. People have all kinds of suggestions about that, but I never fold the earpieces on my glasses and most of the suggestions required that.

I haven't scratched a lens on my glasses since I started wearing modular about 12 years ago.

I started with the original HJC Symax. It leaked in any kind of rain and the face shield wouldn't stay closed in strong cross-winds.

I had a Nolan that worked well, and then upgraded to an N-102. It worked very well, including protecting my noggin in a crash that totaled my 1st Concours. I replaced it with an N-103, and followed that with a Schuberth C-3. The Schuberth is expensive, but quieter than the Nolans.

Last edited:
Top Bottom