Iron Butt Review of BMW R1200RT

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Like many of you, I kinda take bike reviews in magazines with a grain (or two) of salt.

And yes - I know the Iron Butt runs ads from BMW. But there is something about the integrity of the group that carries over to the magazine, and I tend to trust what I read in the magazine.

In the current issue, there is not one, but two reviews of the wethead 2014 R1200RT. The stories give the kind of technical information that you don't always get, as well as the riding experience. Yes - both reviews were written since the "Do Not Ride" edict issued last May. (If you have not followed that story, the shock as since been replaced.)

As I've said before, I'd have to win the lottery to buy one, but the R1200RT is still the object of my bike lust.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
My current first choice as well Doug however I think the Ms. will get her master bath remodel before I get my RT, lol.

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
My current first choice as well Doug however I think the Ms. will get her master bath remodel before I get my RT, lol.
I wondered if you'd pulled the trigger on one.

Looks like I won't make this Sunday's TWT M&G. Oh well !

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
I've taken a shine to the F800GT, looks like an attractive alternative for the NT.

Roy, I was on a trip to Glacier/Yellowstone this past August and one of the guys was on an F800 and although I had to leave earlier because of a delay because the guy on the BMW 650's rear wheel bearing failed. so the guy on the F800 ultimately threw a chain and had to get a new sprocket and chain. I'm happy with the NT.

Terry Copeland

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I end up liking the ST-700 (NT) more after every organized ride. I start with a full tank and sit out the first gas stop. The majority of the bikes are H-D, Victory, Honda V-Type Cruisers 1200cc+, and other cruisers in the same league. There may be an occasional Suzuki 900, or Yamaha sub liter cruiser in the group. One thing I notice is that they all seem to use Premium Gas. They also fill up twice as much as I do. On our 200 mile ride last weekend, I filled up at the beginning of the ride and again from where we started with Regular Gas. I had absolutely no problem staying with the group. I sometimes shifted into fourth gear on the longer hills to keep my RPM above 3500. The bigger bikes did not have to do that because of their superior low end torque. I still have not found a bike that is more practical and still performs well.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I think the R1200RT is a good motorcycle, but I can have 2 NT's (list price new or 4 sale price today), and not get any more satisfaction of riding. Of course if you need to find a dealer(about 140 for BMW), Honda might have a few more, okay a lot more. Ride what ever you like, it your money.

Last edited:
Top Bottom