Is there a 90 degree valve stem option for the NT?

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Several years back I put these on my GL1800. It made checking and managing tire pressures much easier.

Is there such an option for the NT?

https://a.co/d/g1Ri0di

If the link doesn't work, browse to Amazon and search Showchrome 90 degree valve stem. Thanks!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
If you've got (or want to have) a Tire Pressure Monitoring System, you probably need to have an external mounted sensor. These are what I'm using now. They let me mount the sensor on the top of the stem and then check and adjust pressure from the "T".

You do need to have access to the inside of the wheel to get the stem securely mounted.

Back in about '02, I was riding a Kawasaki Concours and had one of these (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BJF2JQVB/ref=syn_sd_onsite_desktop_0?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_plhdr=t&th=1) that I had bought from a BMW store in Denver. I had just pulled onto the Interstate and was up to about 75mph when I felt a little twitch. The next thing I knew I was in a tankslapper and thought I was probably going down. I pulled in the clutch and didn't touch the brakes and finally came to a stop. the centrifugal force of that little brass 90-degree extension had torn the rubber valve stem nearly completely off. Don't use a 90-degree stem with a stock rubber stem.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Honda first fitted a 90-degree stem to the CX500T (Turbo) and to counter any worries about centrifugal force applying undue force to the rubber seal, the wheel had a support tab that kept the stem at 90-deg. Those angle stems used a rubber seat identical to normal (straight) stems so having the upper portion at a 90-deg angle would apply some force against the rubber seal at the rim.

I've seen Gold Wings where owners have fitted absurdly long, chrome 90-degree stems which seems worrisome and they reminded me of long stems used on semi-truck rims!

Last edited:
OP
OP
basketcase

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Thanks to all for the feedback. I have the ones at the link in my op on my GL1800 and have not had problems. I'll wait and do then when the tires are next renewed.

I recently completed the MSF Advanced rider course and the instructors there had couple of these to inflate tires that work great with regular stems, if you're already a Ryobi one tool user it's a cheap option. The digital PSI gauge is very accurate from what I can see, matches up to another gauge I have that I know is accurate. I'm sure the other battery toolmakers have them too. I bought one right after the class.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I have used stems similar to Dirtflyers with success. I think mine came from Soundrider.

Arknt

1685463459532.png

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
You can get the shorty stems that are identical to the OEM Honda stems at any auto parts store, part# TR412. Change the stems with every new tire install. I just carried a bicycle style pencil gauge with me. Didnt want to deal with the bent stems. A standard Milton 90 degree air chuck works fine.

Keep it simple and ride on!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
You can get the shorty stems that are identical to the OEM Honda stems at any auto parts store, part# TR412. Change the stems with every new tire install.
+1...
The latter is kinda mandatory anyway...

The chuck on EC style tire fillers on the gas stations are a bit easier to use on motorcycle wheels...

alf-klassik-analog-gas-station.jpg tire filler EC chuck.jpg

But since I like to measure cold tires in the morning, I got me this thing (electronic ones will fail soon; heat, humidity, vibrations, low batteries give wrong values...):

d7.04.02.10002733890FR0114.JPG

and now we're also equipped with those:

51LnkASi41L._AC_SL1491_.jpg 51f5VffjiFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
"...they age better than the rubber ones..."

I've been using the short-angled stems for eons and have never had one fail. Periodically, I'll change the Shrader Valve but the stem stays in place. They use a flanged vinyl seal that seems thin but works nicely because it has a machined surface on each side - one on the rim and one on the valve.

I've bought the shorty, alum stems from three different on-line stores and they always look identical. My guess is that there is a giant factory in China churning these out by the millions then sending them to different retailers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom