It just would not start!

A unusual occurence this a.m. Stopped for donuts, got on the bike, give it the usual 2 seconds of starting and nothing. Tried again and nothing. Now I turn it over for several seconds and no ignition. Now several seconds more and nothing. Hmmm. OK I put the sidestand up and down and up again and no luck. I switch the kill off and on and nothing. I know the gear is in neutral. I am aware that the fuel is low so I stand the bike up, switch the kill button off and on again and now it starts. I note with interest tht the display has changed from milage A to the total milage. I check the A milage and it has not reset. Get to the house and it starts on the center stand without problems. Anyone got any ideas? And yes the fuel is low very low.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I had a similar intermittent no-start situation while on a trip last year. Two separate times it refused to start then suddenly decided to start after a few minutes. When I got home, I checked the fault (MIL) codes and they identified a faulty crank position sensor. I ordered the sensor and installed it myself. End of my problem.

Your problem might be related to the Engine Stop Switch not making contact or something amiss with the battery causing the display to go haywire. Check the MIL codes to see if something comes up.

Last edited:
Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
I also suspect the crank position sensor, If the bike was cranking but not firing this is a possibility and the MIL code should confirm this

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Don't forget to check out and clean the clutch , snd sidestand safety swutches!

Eldon

Top Bottom