It wasn't a long ride...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
But it was a nice one. After my weekly appointment with my physical therapist, I decided I needed a motorcycle ride. I rode through Fort Collins, got on US-287 and took it to CO-14. 14 is a great road that goes up Poudre Canyon, over Cameron Pass, and, after 97 miles, ends up in Walden, the center of North Park.

Poudre is pronounced "pooder" and is French for "powder." The whole name of the river that carved the canyon is Cache le Poudre and means something like a place to hide/store your powder. It had been threatened by one of the major Colorado forest fires two or three summers ago, but is still mostly a gorgeous and challenging ride.

I only went as far as Stove Prairie Road (County Road 27) and then took it to Rist Canyon Road (CR52E) and back to LaPorte. So I was only in the mountains for 35 miles, but it was nice to be there and riding some twisties. Which leads me to an observation: I'm not riding as fast as I used to when I'm in those twisties. I noticed that on the Three Flags Ride, but I did have stretches of that ride when I rode as fast as I ever have. But I'm sure not pushing things the way I did 7-10 years ago. That's probably a good thing. :) I'm still enjoying my rides, maybe even more than I did back then. And, after all, it's not a race, is it?

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
The best rides are the ones you enjoy the most. We all feel a little "frisky" from time to time and catch ourselves going a little too fast. But I have come to realize that I enjoy the more relaxed pace more than the "frisky" pace that creeps up sometimes. And riding for pure enjoyment is different for me than riding to get to a destination. Riding to a destination makes me want to just get there and my speed creeps up. So I'm always trying to slow down and take in more of the local flavor of the countryside on long trips.

Sounds like the ride you took was just what you needed at the time.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Glad you enjoyed the ride. I was in Waldon back in 1980 and really like the area. Always figured if I ever had to leave WV I would want to be in that area.

manybikes

Phil, I have ridden that many times and never seems to get old...better do it now as winter will soon be upon us.

Gary in Loveland
2010 nt
2001 Bonneville
2006 Honda CRF450X

Top Bottom