Just added some extra carrying capacity to my top box

Horizon

Added some Thermorest jet packs to the side of my top box....they double as dodgy arm rests....:cool:

Care must be taken as the plastic on the bottom half of the top box is very soft and won't safely hold more than a kilo or two, but this now means I have enough storage capacity now for two up touring...under stars, no hotels.

Attachments

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
That looks like a good way to carry light bulky "stuff"...:D And I suspect it was a lot more economical than most solutions as well.

docta

Not a bad idea, but beware of aerodynamic loads at speed and the overall stress they add......may also want to add larger backing plates to the inside of the trunk to spread the load and prevent cracking of the case wall(s) over time due to fatigue from flexing....may also want to add material to the outer case where the load contacts the finish on the trunk.....here at the Retirement Home, we use clear helicopter tape (including over the headlight) where ever abrasion might occur......don't ask me how I know!

TW

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I like having different ways to carry stuff. That looks like another nice way. Along with 'bungee buddies' on the top of the case would make strapping down a load easier.

I will probably make a new mount plate for my trunk that has some tie down slots in it too. Both front and side. And bolt down the trunk instead of having the detach featuer (that I never use anymore).

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
When I'm fully loaded for a camping trip with my wife riding 2up, I rok strap my REI Quarter Dome tent to the passenger grab rails and rest it on top of the lids. Just have to be careful not to scratch the lids but otherwise an easy way to carry extra bulky, light stuff. I've also used this technique for fold up chairs when going to a concert

rcase13

When I'm fully loaded for a camping trip with my wife riding 2up, I rok strap my REI Quarter Dome tent to the passenger grab rails and rest it on top of the lids. Just have to be careful not to scratch the lids but otherwise an easy way to carry extra bulky, light stuff. I've also used this technique for fold up chairs when going to a concert
I have done this. You have to love those Rok straps!

OP
OP

Horizon

Strapping to the top of the lids was my original idea also but going two up meant the grab rails became obstructed and I didn't feel comfortable with it.

Docta... you are correct, I had much larger washers at first but to spread the brackets far apart meant the outer bolts sit on the beginnings of the plastic curvature, hence leaving pressure points cutting in to the box. I will see how they handle speed, then perhaps make a backing plate or even just slightly bend the larger washer to suite and put them back on....Helicopter Tape....genius

We are going to attempt 17 days on the road in January, something Ive not done before and I can tell you, getting the right gear for two people to fit on this horse was quite the challenge. I love gadgets....we are now solar powered on all devices and cooking with fuel from the bike tank.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
For a backing go to a hobbyshop and get a strip of brass aboutafoot long. It is flexible enough to bend around the corners.

Bike
2011 NT700v
From a structural standpoint, I don't see you being successful using these as arm rests even with bigger washers etc. To give it the necessary strength, you'd need a strut bar running across between all your mounts. Otherwise you're going to put too much leverage on your box especially at speed as your suspension flexes.

I just don't see the box itself as having the rigid strength necessary. If you really want arm rests, I'd suggest designing a swing or fold away arm rest that bolts directly to the side handles and into the frame. If I was doing it, I'd probably fabricate it out of billet and use a premanufactured arm rest pad to finish it.

Good Luck

fltsfshr

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I put light stuff on the lids as well, and I added clear vinyl film to the top of the bags to avoid scratching the paint. You can barely see the vinyl being on there and it would be easy to replace/remove.

freezingalaskan

OP
OP

Horizon

yeah, the arm rest thing was a bit tongue in cheek....

I took em out for a run at high speed, a hefty cross wind and a touch of rain thrown in for sh*ts n gigs. Im confident they would hold up quite well and I will be very confident once I add a little more backing. I was riding solo and reaching back to have a feel around at air flow and pulling pressure was very very minimal, I suspect even less of an issue two up. I could see them in the mirrors the whole time and they don't raise up or pull in any direction. The straps have a good grip on the rolls but they slide easily through the bracket which takes most of the transferred energy out of them. Keep in mind the thermorest mats, dry sack and 38mm straps only weigh about 1.3kg together. They just jiggle a bit with the bounce of the rear box and gravity does the rest...(Im too young to use all those words together in a single sentence)

Top Bottom