Just one more question....

loonytuna

Center stand.

Put side stand down, get off bike, hold bike by handlebars and the passenger hand hold, push down on the center stand with your foot, apply pressure with foot while lifting and pulling backward.

Works easily every time, i think the key is lots of pressure with your foot.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
I suspect that dealers have some wiggle room in warrenty and service agreeement as far as prices....Perhaps my dealer meant the first year plus two additonal. He said he wanted to see the bike three times a year.
$1200 would be not out of the relm of fairness if it included three valve settings in addtion to 9 oil changes. QUOTE]

My local dealer gave me a 3 year service agreement for around $680. It includes all valve adjustments and any other scheduled services during that time (3 services per year). It also includes free mounting and balancing of tires. At 13500 miles after 12 months with 3 services including 2 valve adjustments and tire changes, it has already paid for itself.
So, yes, I believe the service agreement varies wildly by dealer.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
So, yes, I believe the service agreement varies wildly by dealer.
Service agreements are offered by, and only valid at, the selling dealer, not by Honda, so prices vary and are very negotiable. The Honda dealer where I purchased my NT doesn't even offer service agreements. I did purchase a very reasonable one for my V-Strom at the dealer I bought it at...

Extended warranties, both Honda's and third party, are also very negotiable as they have huge profit margins. I added a three year Honda Extended Warranty for about around $450, IIRC, when I bought my NT. The salesman, who still is not my friend and is gone now anyway :), originally quoted me $750 and said it was a "non-negotiable" Honda price. I told the Sales Manager I'd shop around, as you do not have to buy the Honda Extended Warranty either at the time of purchase or from the selling dealer, and the price suddenly, mysteriously, dropped by almost half...

Don't forget to come prepared to negotiate your APR if you are financing, if you have good credit those are negotiable as well. It is not uncommon for the F&I side of the deal to try and slip in a higher rate than Honda, or the bank, comes back with, those APR "points" are what they are paid their commissions on...and are pure margin. When I bought my NT I was "per-approved" by Honda finance on line for the 1.9% deal they had going on the NT at the time. I was quoted 3.9%, allegedly from Honda, by the dealer while we doing the paperwork, I pulled out my pre-approval and suddenly and mysteriously again the cost dropped.

It pays to do your homework, shop around whenever possible, and to negotiate hard...but fairly. And to know who your friends are...or aren't...:rolleyes1:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Very interesting comments. I am very good at buying current production cars, espeicially using services like Consumer reports that let you know the dealer hold back, wholesale price, and hidden incentives.....
I suck at buying discontinued motorcycles that are sold out at the warehouse level and are sitting on dealer floors but not here. I have no idea how or when the dealers pay honda for the bikes or what their profit margin
is. Or the advantage to the dealer in selling more bikes in any given year. And I understand why no main line motorcycle rag would darer print an article on this. Lost ad revenue. Same reason all three networks just put out
one short blurb last week about Chevy, in one of the most amazing lapses in quality "assurance" ever in the automotive world, shipped thousands of cars with brake pads missing.
If I were a dealer, and had some red 2010s in my warehouse, I would sit on them for 4 months, and see if the predictions of $5 gas come true by Memorial day. Men use that excuse to their wives all the time to buy bikes.
But I dont think like a dealer. There were times in my life when oppertunity knocked and I hesitated and lost. The regret wasnt worth the lousy few hundred bucks....good advice on service/maintenance agreements.
When the good weather returns, I will go by my dealer and dicker...maybe a combo deal with loaner bike....

Bike
Silver NT700V
Yes, service agreements do vary wildly; from non-existant to very good. I thought mine was costly and resisted for a week. After the salesman, service manager, and parts manager all said I should do it, I did. Bear in mind, I had spent hours in the dealership talking about riding habits, styles, the amoutn I ride etc, during the buying process. Out of all of that came my NT :). The maintenance agreement is for unlimited regular maintenance for three years. I am already on their dime. I just hope they will sell me another in two years as I will likely still be on the NT :).

Top Bottom