Just saying hello

Not a new NT owner but I have not been active on this site before. I bought my 2010 NT in Seattle area around 2015. Bike had around 1K miles on it when I piked it up. Rode to Colorado and went up the Pike's Peak. Haven't done whole lotta riding on it since then. Bike now has only about 6K miles. Valve adjustment may be due soon. Now residing in Northern VA. Looking for inspiration to do some long distance riding.

20150816_083913.jpg

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I've had my NT since new and now have 137K miles on the clock. We have been to all of the lower 48 states and one Canadian Province (Ontario). I hope this summer to visit Quebec, Newfoundland, Labrador and the Maritimes. Long distance riding is addictive. I do most my riding solo. I try to avoid Interstate Highways as most of the interesting stuff can be found on the old US Highways. I like to stay in the Mom and Pop motels and eat at the Mom and Pop restaurants. You don't learn much about a place by visiting their McDonalds. Every town or region is famous for something. At breakfast each morning I ask the waitress what the town/region is famous for. Also, be sure to ask about local museums, they can be fascinating. The best way to get started in long distance riding is to get started. Pick a location, plan your route and make it happen.

Mike

OP
OP
137K,, Whoa.. That's awesome!
I've done few long distance rides but on different bikes. Cross country on 1200RT. Nova Scotia on FJR1300. Key West on ST1300. They were just too big, which is why I sold them right after each rides. NT hit the sweet spot for me. Fits like a glove. Not too big, not too small.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Welcome to the Forum! I bought my 1st NT in March of '10 and at the end of April did the first ever Iron Butt Association in the entire Western Hemisphere on an NT :)D Whoo-Hoo!). In '13 I retired at age 70 and took my "Epic Post-Retirement Ride to Alaska, the Four Corners of the US, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Labrador," an 80-day, 21K mile jaunt. In '20, after 139K miles, I traded NT#1 for #2. #2 is actually 16 serial numbers older than #1, but only had 22K miles. It had been owned by a friend who was an ex-USAF pilot who maintained the bike the way the AF maintained the planes he flew. Due to Covid, some injuries, and my wife's Alzheimer's, I haven't ridden since 12/21 and it's only got about 29K miles now. But, as soon as I can get her Medicaid to kick in, I'll be back on the bike. If Medicaid doesn't make me sell the bike.

Finally Almost Done.jpg

OP
OP
Welcome to the Forum! I bought my 1st NT in March of '10 and at the end of April did the first ever Iron Butt Association in the entire Western Hemisphere on an NT :)D Whoo-Hoo!). In '13 I retired at age 70 and took my "Epic Post-Retirement Ride to Alaska, the Four Corners of the US, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Labrador," an 80-day, 21K mile jaunt. In '20, after 139K miles, I traded NT#1 for #2. #2 is actually 16 serial numbers older than #1, but only had 22K miles. It had been owned by a friend who was an ex-USAF pilot who maintained the bike the way the AF maintained the planes he flew. Due to Covid, some injuries, and my wife's Alzheimer's, I haven't ridden since 12/21 and it's only got about 29K miles now. But, as soon as I can get her Medicaid to kick in, I'll be back on the bike. If Medicaid doesn't make me sell the bike.

Finally Almost Done.jpg
Your bike looks awesome! Quite a few farkles I can see:thumb:

Hope everything goes well for you!

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Welcome to the forums ninepeaks ! Northern VA puts you pretty close to some great riding in the eastern portion of VA and into WV. I get over to the border counties frequently. If you ever get over the the western side of WV or SE Ohio, give me a shout. Believe me when I saw, I know nearly every fun road in several states and search more out frequently.

ps; a friend from Northern VA will be coming over to join our small group for some riding here next week. Maybe we'll meet up for some great riding. Also sent you a message on here.

Ride On ! !

Last edited:
Top Bottom