Ker Plunk, There went my throttle side handle bar weight!

Bike
2010 NT700V
It was cold, bout 29 degrees farenheight, and windy, 30 mph wind gusts. When 90 miles from home on the high way I heard a ker plunk! It wasn't till 60 miles later when I found the culprit. My throttle side handle bar wheel weight fell out!

Does anyone know where I can get a new one? What is the original part number?

Or is this a good time to replace it with a throttle lock?

Bike
Silver NT700V
You could also shop Bike Bandit to campare prices. Or... if you were even thinking about a Throttlemeister of Kaoko lock, now would be the time.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Did you loose just the weight or also the clip inside the bar that holds it in?
I should still have my original weight if you are interested. I replaced mine with Manic Salamander throttle lock.

Brad

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I would expect that to be covered by the Honda warranty... Both of mine came loose but luckily I saw what was happening before they were lost. The dealer replaced the retention clips on both sides under warranty...

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Loctite won't do you any good if the whole thing is sliding out.... Part numbers 14 and 15, in your diagram, are what holds the internal weight in place.... The Bar End Weight (End Cap) screws in to the internal weight so Loctite would help if that is the problem...

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Been there and done that. Katherine was helpful on this one. She sent a twisted throttle link that showed the innards of the bar weight system. The clips only keep the inner bar weight in place at the proper distance. The only thing that keeps the outer bar weight on is the screw which does come loose. You could use blue locktite but I just check mine on occasion.

Btw I find ordering new parts from my dealer is cheaper than Internet because there's no shipping cost.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Been there and done that. Katherine was helpful on this one. She sent a twisted throttle link that showed the innards of the bar weight system. The clips only keep the inner bar weight in place at the proper distance. The only thing that keeps the outer bar weight on is the screw which does come loose. You could use blue locktite but I just check mine on occasion.

Btw I find ordering new parts from my dealer is cheaper than Internet because there's no shipping cost.
OK, I am tired, and my mind has turned to mush. But here goes...My Port external weight was loose today so I took the allen wrench to the screw and tightened it, but the weight on both ends of the bar can be turned, albeit with resistence. So suddenly I came upon this thread and I see there is an internal weight, with a rubber at both ends and some sort of clip. But the schematic doesnt show the allen bolt threading into the internal weight? Guess I should take the bolt out and use my locktite and look in there....
Chris who pours in molten lead into his heli-bars on his connie

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Or is this a good time to replace it with a throttle lock?
I'd say it's the perfect time! I've got the Throttlemeister and I like it. Twisted Throttle's Kaoko throttle lock looks real good to me, too. It didn't come out till after I'd fitted the Throttlemeister, but I was trying to find out if it would fit the NT (they didn't have an NT-specific application at first) and had several email exchanges with the manufacturers in South Africa. They got a Deauville from the SA distributor to make sure that their lock would work on Honda's heated grips.

BTW, I nearly lost my Throttlemeister right after I installed it. I later read the instructions and learned that I should have used blue LocTite on it.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
OK, I read the maintenance manual last night as well as K.'s posts, etc. I took off the weights and saw the half circles, matched them up like engagement dogs, put the locktite on, and put them back on. I can still turn the starbord side weight. I am assuming what ever it screws into is also turning?

loonytuna

Get the Kaoko, I have one and love it.

the advantage over the Throttlemeister (I had one) is the size of the knurled lock, it's much easier to use.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Thanks! Went to the link to the link with K.'s great PDF, which is now printed out an in my NT maintenance records...
BTW, in the how to section, there is a link to K.'s post with a dead link to twisted throttle.
http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/showthread.php?97-Removing-bar-ends
Perhaps putting a link to K.'s excellent PDF would be a good idea?

Last edited:
Top Bottom