key broke off in top box

Bike
bike#61=2010NT700,silver
Guess which idiot just broke his key off INSIDE HIS TOP BOX LOCK??!!
Anyone have any ideas (beside a locksmith)? I tried tape but it's too far inside to catch.
Taped the box shut but it sure looks ugly with tape around it.
Thanks for any ideas.

Last edited:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
If you can get to the back of the lock assembly there might be a small hole that you can use a paper clip to push it out. Or a strong magnet might pull it out if the key was made of ferrous metal. Or if the lock assembly can be removed taking it out and tapping it on a bench may let the key slide out far enough to grab.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Well, that sucks. But as compensation, did anyone happen to get your facial expression when you discovered what you had done?:rofl1:

Seriously, though, could you perhaps reach in with something like a pair of tweezers, maybe ground down to fit in there?

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
This worked on a box I had.
Support standing on end with back down
Take wd-40 or silicone spray and shoot it in. It got the key part back enough to get needle nose to pull the broken piece out. Of course luck in much of this process.
I think I also tapped the barrel with a screw driver, I was going to use an old electric tooth brush to vibrate the operation if the tapping did not work.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
It is best to replace the lock (DAMHIK).

Replacement locks are cheap and quick and easy to fit (provided you have access to the inside of the case).

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
I just saw how to do this on TV tonight.

Get a fret saw blade and cut off the knob on the end so you are left with a small thin blade. This blade will easily fit into the slot in the lock.

Insert the saw blade with the teeth pointing down and the teeth points facing backwards (towards you)

When you pull the saw blade out, the saw blade teeth should grab the teeth of the key and allow you to remove the key.

Job done !

Last edited:

djpacholl

I echo Seagrass's suggestion. As an ex-locksmith I've used coping saw blades very effectively in this type of situation. They are small and thin and can usually be slid into the lock. You simply turn the blade slightly so that the saw blades are touching the broken key. With a little light pressure you can usually pull the broken key out of the cylinder.

elizilla

Is this a Givi case or a Honda case?

If it's a Givi case, which one?

I have a whole sack full of lock/key sets for Givi. They are the singletons left over from when I keyed all of my cases alike. If it's a Givi topcase on an NT, you probably only have one so you don't need it to match other cases, right? Drop me a PM and I'll send you a lock and key you can use. Free.

elizilla

Well, if he sends me his address I will send him a new lock and key which he can install. (Assuming the topcase is not the E55 Maxia - for some reason they use different locks and you can't put the standard Givi lock barrel in them.)

Top Bottom