Kisan Pathblazer

Tiger 650

Has anyone tried a Pathblazer headlight modulator yet? I am interested in a headlight modulator and this one seems to be the best one out there. Any comments or suggestions?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I don't like headlight modulators, personally, but a good friend has a Kisan Pathblazer on his ST1100. It was a fairly easy installation from what he says.

I have the Kisan Charge Guard and if the Pathblazer's instructions are as clear as the Charge Guard's were, it should be a snap.

Plus, when I had one question, the person who answered the phone down in Colorado Springs definitely knew what he was talking about. Not only that, he understood my question and gave me a clear, concise, accurate answer.

OP
OP

Tiger 650

Thanks Phil. I am going to give one a try. I would rather be overly noticed by other drivers than not noticed at all. Hyperlites also makes modulating LEDs but they are almost twice the cost of the Pathblazer. I already have the Tailblazers and they work great and were a snap to install.
Bob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
I'd love to have a headlight modulator but I'd want it to be available on demand versus continuous. You know, for those times when you want just that extra bit of visibility. On the Deauville it's called a Passing Light Control Switch so the parts are available.

My MSC instructor had a modulator on his V-Strom that was wired to a photo cell for turning it off at night. He has been stopped numerous times by LEOs where he'd have to educate them on the legality of operating a forward flashing white headlight. He was quite the character and a darn fine instructor.

Bike
Black 2006 NT700V
I'd love to have a headlight modulator but I'd want it to be available on demand versus continuous.
I've just fitted the Kisan pathBlazer and, because here in Australia it is only legal to modulate either the low beam or the high beam (but not both), I opted for the P115W-H7 and connected it to the high beam.

This means that the modulator only works if I switch the high beam on during the day and the daylight sensor, which I installed in the centre of the meter cover (see attached), ensures that it doesn't modulate at night.

Why I've decided to fit a headlight modulator ...

My husband and I are both experienced and careful riders - we each started riding more than 33 years ago but gave it up for 10 years after our second child was born (our first born was carted around in a sidecar for five years). We returned to motorcycling in 1996 when both of our children were old enough to safely travel as pillion passengers.

Almost a year ago my husband and I set off for a ride one bright, sunny (almost) Summer afternoon - we were each riding our BMW F650GSs. We only made it about 250 metres from home before a car driver ran a Give Way sign from a side street and collided with my husband.

What's interesting about this story is that I was riding ahead of my husband at the time and, as I saw the car approach the intersection very quickly (I was sure the driver wasn't going to stop), I took evasive action and started weaving gently in an attempt to attract the driver's attention.

The driver saw me and gave way but then immediately turned into the road and collided with my husband. Even though we both had our headlights on and were wearing light coloured jackets with high-vis vests the driver said he didn't see my husband. I suspect that part of the reason for this is that my husband didn't get the driver's attention (he continued riding in a straight line and didn't weave) but I also strongly suspect the driver wasn't expecting to see more than one motorcycle.

Fortunately my husband wasn't too badly injured even though his bike was almost written off but it has made both of us a lot more cautious in relation to approaching intersections.

A few weeks ago I came across the following YouTube video - SMIDSY (Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You) and it made me realise that my gentle weaving action probably saved me from becoming part of the accident my husband was subsequently involved in. It also got me thinking that fitting a headlight modulator would further increase my chances of being seen ...

I've also attached a copy of a study that was done a few years ago in relation to SMIDSY accidents.

[video=youtube;eqQBubilSXU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQBubilSXU[/video]

Attachments

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I am not particularly crazy about headlight modulators. I prefer a set of Denali Lights mounted on each side of the front mudguard. That and my high beams usuaally get sufficient attention. Nothing you do will help with a distracted driver (ask me how I know?)

Statistically most collisions are at intersections--usually someone making a left hand turn into your path--- To that end, I approach all intersections poised for a very rapid stop.

My preference is to have a brake light modulator where the strobing increases in speed as the vehicle decelerates. I also believe in garish colours and reflectors. My helmet is a Nolan N-103 painted School Bus Yellow. It clashes with everything I wear except my black leather jacket--which I no longer wear on the motorbike.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
On the Deauville it's called a Passing Light Control Switch so the parts are available.
That switch is used to flash the high beam headlights, I have one on my V-Strom and it is very handy and convenient for flashing the lights at an errant cager. Since the switch only works when depressed and held though it won't work very well as a on / off for your modulator... Unless you want to hold it all the time...:D

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
The only reason I won't get a modulator is because of experience of a fellow rider (Gold Wing).

He had one for about a year. His stories were of people who headed toward him, especially on two lane roads at dusk. Some studies have backed that up. Seems a pulsating light causes 'target fixation' and the other driver tends to drive toward what he is fixed on. Some cases involving emergency vehicles as well. Not conclusive, but, enough for me to avoid it.

I have been using the SMIDSY weave for about 6 months now and it seems to make people not pull in front of me so closely. It is possible they think I am nuts or don't know what I am going to do, but, it seems to work.

I will also flash my high beams a couple of times at night. During the day my high beams are on all the time.

These two assume I see the other guy first, in time to do something.

Bike
Black 2006 NT700V
I prefer a set of Denali Lights mounted on each side of the front mudguard. That and my high beams usually get sufficient attention.
Here in Australia my legal options in relation to additional daytime safety lighting are limited - the use of high beam/driving/fog lights during the day and DRLs (daytime running lights) are illegal.

I have been using the SMIDSY weave for about 6 months now and it seems to make people not pull in front of me so closely. It is possible they think I am nuts or don't know what I am going to do, but, it seems to work.
I've been doing this manoeuvre for years and find it particularly useful when I feel the driver behind me is too close - most of the time they back off and it doesn't seem to upset them the way that touching the brake does.

Last edited:
Bike
Silver NT700V
Excellent video. I will be adding the SMIDSY maneuver to my "arsenal". I am usually more concerned at twilight times ans night but the view of the motorcycle approaching was very revealing. Denali lights are still on the farkle list.

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

elizilla

Interesting that the PDF points out one of the things that has been bugging me as I consider what car to get for winter: The huge blind spots that get worse every year. Car design trends seem to be leading us to ever smaller windows and ever larger pillars. And the windows that remain, are getting ever more tinted. It's like they don't think anyone needs to see out of the cars, let alone see into them or through them. Grrr. If I want a car with huge, clear, unobstructed windows I will have to buy an older one because the new models just get worse and worse!

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
If I want a car with huge, clear, unobstructed windows I will have to buy an older one because the new models just get worse and worse!
Not all of them. My Ford Flex has huge glass all around with excellent outward vision...including upward as most of the roof is glass with multiple sun roof panels! My daughter's Subaru Forrester also has excellent outward visibility in a smaller package...

Thank you for posting this. I've been doing the SMIDSY weave for years and didn't know it had a name. I just noticed that people backed off anytime I did it. I still intend on installing a Stebel Nautilus, nothing gets a cager's attention better than a truck horn!

keystone

My experience with headlight modulators is from a fellow rider who has one on his bike. Twice now at an intersection he's had cars pull out in front of him. After yelling at one of the drivers the driver of the car told him he thought singling him to go ahead through the intersection. I can see the same problem arising making a left turn onto a street where a car is waiting to pull out. I'm all for being seen but I don't want to give a driver the wrong impression of my intentions.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA, #227
I had the dealer install my modulator and I did not even specify a particular one. I wound up with a Signal Dynamics Diamond Star Head Light Modulator 2050-0036. It works as advertised and stops in tunnels and at night. I have had two cars pull over because they thought I was a cop, one PU truck driver pull over to give me the finger because it annoyed him so much in his rear view mirror and more than one driver not turn left in front of me because of the flashing headlight. I would not ride without it.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
My experience with headlight modulators is from a fellow rider who has one on his bike. Twice now at an intersection he's had cars pull out in front of him. After yelling at one of the drivers the driver of the car told him he thought singling him to go ahead through the intersection. I can see the same problem arising making a left turn onto a street where a car is waiting to pull out. I'm all for being seen but I don't want to give a driver the wrong impression of my intentions.
For awhile I would flash my brights at a car that appeared ready pull out in front of me. I thought the brighter light might catch their attention. After thinking about it I quite the practice since I thought they might get confused and think I was signaling them to go.

lcseds

For many years I have used modulator. I never had anyone cut in front like I was signaling them to go. The flash rate is to fast for that (and the flash rate is controlled by DOT so it is NOT mistaken for a flash to pass, or signal to go, or law enforcement). If they only saw one or two flashes, the they barely saw you and probably would make the cut anyway. I can't count how many people coming out of side roads, that was going to do a rolling stop, actually stop after a double take because I got their attention.

Bike
'10 Silver NT700
I installed a Xenon bulb and VisiPath headlight modulator on my Honda PC800 in '04. The modulator itself melted and I had issues with the manufacturer trying to tell me it was the bulb that overheated. However, while the heavy plastic modulator plug melted around the electrical contacts, the rubber boot around the base of the bulb did not. Thus, it was a problem with the modulator and not the light. The company I bought it through - Comagination - tried to post "glowing reviews" of the product as variously-named satisfied customers, on the PC800 forum but was flushed out by other members. It was actually quite humerous to see the guy fail time and again. He eventually removed the PC800 from his list of bikes on which the original modulator would work.

Shortly after, I installed the Kisan PathBlazer and TailBlazers and have been impressed with both for a number of years. I will likely be getting Kisan for the NT to go along with the TailBrights conspicuity tape/patches I just received. I also have some of my own conspicuity tape in red and while, that I'll probably add to the front and side of the bike. In the past I've even put it on my helmet for better chance of being seen in the uneviable possibility of being separated from my bike on a dark road. And a reflective vest for nightime riding also. Anything to make me stand out.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
I appreciate the research that helps us understand why the cager does not see me. I will definetly be employing the "Anti SMIDSY Manuver" in the future.

Because I live in a rural area, I have come to know that many of my friends and neighbors continue to drive when their eyesight is no longer up to snuff. They can get around only because they know the roads, traffic is light, and they can go slow and follow the yellow line.

As my awareness of this situation has risen, my riding style has changed. I no longer assume I can be seen and heard. Even if I could convince my friends to hang up the keys, there are to many out there that will still keep it up. It is up to us to recognize the dangers and take action to avoid it. Otherwise, we might as well ask our wives to put "I had right of way" on our head stone.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Interesting that the PDF points out one of the things that has been bugging me as I consider what car to get for winter: The huge blind spots that get worse every year. Car design trends seem to be leading us to ever smaller windows and ever larger pillars. And the windows that remain, are getting ever more tinted. It's like they don't think anyone needs to see out of the cars, let alone see into them or through them. Grrr. If I want a car with huge, clear, unobstructed windows I will have to buy an older one because the new models just get worse and worse!

Katherine,
A friend in the car business tells me that the reason the windows on the newer cars are so small is because glass is very expensive. Cuts costs. They will make them as small as they can get away with. I rented a Mitsubishi Eclipse, and the rear window visibility was a mere slit--had a spoiler and a very small window. I'll stick to trucks.

Top Bottom