Kitsap Peninsula

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
Very nice photo's. What a contrast from your green / water wonderland to my desert environment! By the way, what's a ferry?

Bike
2011 NT
I had looked at doing that area a couple years ago. Didn't make and now I probably never will. It looks beautiful tho.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Chris, once again, thanks for the great pictures of a beautiful area! Next time, please stop and get a dramatic picture of the slug. Too many of our members don't appreciate the majesty of the slugs on the upper Pacific coast. :)

Chris, thanks for the pictures and thinking of me. I actually had to work this morning and left Port Townsend at 0700 to catch the 755 ferry and then off to the men's group I run every other Saturday for two hours, then back on the bike and back to PT by 12:30 to go to the Jazz Festival at Fort Worden. As you know, none of this would be possible with a car as there is almost always a two hour wait on the Edmonds side and we, of course, get to go to the front of the ferry line. Sweet.

Terry

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I need to run over to Kingston next week, on Wed. 8/6. Taking my FJR to Rich's for a seat customization. I have a choice between taking the Coupeville-PT ferry and then driving down to Kingston or going Clinton-Mukilteo then driving down to catch the Edmonds-Kingston ferry. The former is the shortest trip, in terms of time, but the ferry doesn't run quite as early. I'd like to make Kingston by 8:30, but the earliest ferry from Coupeville wouldn't dock in PT until around 7:45 assuming it's on time. The other routes are heavy commuter travel and there are plenty of earlier ferries. So my question is for daboo: What's the traffic flow like around 8:00 on that route between PT and Kingston?

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Doh! Yeah, I meant to address to Terry. And yeah, I've been riding the ferries for 15 years. Being on a bike is a major plus - usually. I probably will take the CV/PT ferry, but I wanted to check if there is something I needed to know.

But then there's the "Oyster Run" (late September). There are so many bikes that will come across on the Mukilteo-Clinton run that the loaders will cut the bikes off at a certain point in each load.

Also, for those not familiar with it, the Coupeville - Port Townsend ferry has predictable cancellations due to extra-low tides. It so happens there are early morning cancellations later that same week, so if I were to take that ferry I could not go over on the 8th or 9th and get to Kingston as early in the morning as I would like. Overall, there are morning cancellations the 8th through the 12th.

Rich, it doesn't matter much which one you take. The Edmonds/Kingston Ferry gives you more options, but I've never had a problem getting on the Coupeville/PT run. Probably, if it were me, I'd go to Edmonds for the Ferry as Rich's is only about five miles from Kingston. Easy trip. Good luck in off loading a lot of money at Rich's. I've done it twice now and haven't regretted a dime that I spent there. The guy is a true craftsman.

Terry

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Rich, it doesn't matter much which one you take. The Edmonds/Kingston Ferry gives you more options, but I've never had a problem getting on the Coupeville/PT run. Probably, if it were me, I'd go to Edmonds for the Ferry as Rich's is only about five miles from Kingston. Easy trip. Good luck in off loading a lot of money at Rich's. I've done it twice now and haven't regretted a dime that I spent there. The guy is a true craftsman.

Terry
He did wonders for my NT seat a couple of years back. I'm not worried about getting on the CV-PT ferry, but is there anything I need to know about the 30-mile drive down to Kingston? The last time I did this it seems like it was kind of a long 30 miles.

Nope, easy trip, go down Hiway 19 (that runs by the local airport I'm sure you've been at), to 104, go over Hood Canal Bridge and on down toward Kingston. No issues on the road, nice pavement.

Terry

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
A Coda to the ferry discussion.

Due to a failure yesterday of the propulsion system on a ferry on the Seattle-Bainbridge route, The Edmonds-Kingston route today is using a single boat, at least for this morning. The S-B route is more heavily traveled, as a rule, so they re-tasked a S-B ferry to that route. This cuts the crossing options in half when trying to make a schedule on E-K.

And another item: The Mukilteo-Clinton run has generally been a bit off schedule the past couple of weeks. The boats start out the day on schedule, but fall behind as the day goes on. This isn't too big a deal, since it's fairly short and departures are still pretty frequent. This happens every summer to some degree because boats are full for more sailings (no sails, but that's what they're called) and lots of people not accustomed to riding the ferries are coming over. But starting a couple of weeks back we have a new boat on the run, which is considerably larger. To load it fully takes longer AND there's a bit of a problem with the design that requires the folks directing the load to have to make decisions on the fly as to who gets loaded topside and who can not, based on an assessment of ground clearance. A process that is unique to this particular boat. The downside is mostly to those trying to make public transit connections on their destination side, which wouldn't be "us".

I was at the Ed-King ferry this morning coming back to Edmonds from Port Townsend and learned the Bainbridge ferry was dead in the water yesterday and they pulled one of the two boats on the Ed-King run and took it to the Bainbridge run, thus, increasing the departure times by an hour. I got to work about ten minutes before my first client. This was a little closer than I like, but that's part of being a ferry commuter I guess.

Terry

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
And then, yesterday, the Mukilteo-Clinton run went down to 1 boat for several hours for an unrelated reason. :shrug2:

Top Bottom