KLR has a new home in my garage

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
I've been thinking about adding a dual sport to the garage since I moved to Nebraska a few months ago. Specifically, I wanted a newer model used KLR. I popped into a dealer just across the boarder in Iowa yesterday "just to browse". They had a 2008 red KLR 650 with 2000 miles on it. I found out their asking price, then left to think it over...
I couldn't help myself and made an offer this morning, considerably under what they were asking. Several phone calls later, we agreed on a price very close to what I offered (and what I hope is as good of a deal as it seems).
I paid up this evening and plan on riding it home next Friday or Saturday, depending on weather and snow.
Now the Connie has a stable-mate!

-Jeff

Attachments

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Just a FYI. Some 2008 KLRs consumed excessive oil when ridden at higher speeds for extended time. That year they had some soft piston rings. Just keep an eye on it and periodically check the oil. Congratulation on your KLR. I had mine for 10 years and had a ball. I now have a DR650. Lighter faster and can get me in more trouble than the KLR.:doh1:

OP
OP
vacanefan
Bike
Just a FYI. Some 2008 KLRs consumed excessive oil when ridden at higher speeds for extended time. That year they had some soft piston rings. Just keep an eye on it and periodically check the oil. Congratulation on your KLR. I had mine for 10 years and had a ball. I now have a DR650. Lighter faster and can get me in more trouble than the KLR.:doh1:
Thanks, Chuck. I'll keep an eye on the oil. I had a DR650 for about a year, I think it was a 2000 model. It was a great bike and I believe a little more dirt oriented. I'm looking forward to putting some miles on the KLR; most really good trail riding will require covering 400 miles of asphalt to get there (although there are some very mild trails closer). Hopefully the KLR will fit the bill well.

-Jeff

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Jeff, what you may enjoy doing in Nebraska is riding all the dirt/gravel/sand county roads. I don't know how many of those exist in eastern Nebraska, but one of my friends in Fort Morgan has ridden (in succession) an R100GS, KLR650, Wee-Strom, KZ-250 (I think that's what it was -- a 1/4-liter Kawasaki dirt bike), a DR-650, and now a KLM 1190 Adventure. He loves our dirt roads in eastern Colorado and western Nebraska. I'd love to ride those roads, too, but I'm reasonably sure that if I had a bike that was more dirt-oriented, I'd find a way to fall down at speed and ding up one of my artificial knees. I can't afford to do that, so I'll keep riding the NT and stick mainly to pavement.

OP
OP
vacanefan
Bike
Thanks, guys. I'm looking forward to some gravel roads, forest trails and fire roads.
Phil, I won't worry if I drop the KLR off road. I'm sure it will happen at some point. I've dropped nearly every bike I've ridden on dirt at some point (usually by taking it places I shouldn't have been). That's why I bought used; scratches and dings are easier to take. Now, dropping the Connie would provoke a different reaction all together...
Roy, that's quite a span for one bike (96-current). It's encouraging that it has held up ok and, more importantly, that you have found the bike enjoyable enough to keep it all these years. I hope I enjoy mine as much.

-Jeff

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
My son had a 2008 KLR, he liked it a lot. He a Happy Trails bags and did a few tweaks. The bike was his only bike so he found that long rides it was taxed on the highway. He was a Moto Ref for bike races and going to races on highways. He replaced the KLR with a Yamaha Super Tenere this year. I think you will enjoy that ride.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I used to ride my KLR from Wichita Falls to Denver and back. What is a one day ST/NT ride (650miles) was a 1.5 to two day ride with the KLR. Once I got over Raton Pass I started looking for secondary & dirt roads to finish the trip to Denver. If you are going to do a lot of pavement then a 16 tooth front sprocket works the best. If you do 50/50 then the stock 15 tooth is better and if you do a lot of technical off road then a 14 tooth is the way to go. In Texas I ran the 16 tooth and in Colorado I ran the 15 tooth. Happy Trails is your friend for out fitting your KLR. Great customer service. As I said before I had my 1997 KLR for ten years and never had a repair other than normal maint. I did change a chain at 22k miles. In my opinion The KLR falls in between the Wee Strom and the DR650. Great bike and lots of after market support. If I was to go back to the KLR, I think I would go for a 2007 or older.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I bought a 99 KLR650 & had 17,000 on it when I sold it just after getting the NT. I changed out the doo hickey and used soft bags, it was still on origingal chain. The most important change I made to it as a Russell daylong saddlewhich made it truly a long day motorcycleand the Russell didn't hamper it in off road situations. I sole it to a friend and the bike currently has nearly 30,00, He has just changed the chain and put brake pads on both ends.

I would suggest that you do some searching on Adventure rider for the wiring schematic to eliinate the side stand safety switch and the clutch safety switch. Those little micro switches can go belly up and leave you stranded , or else playing electrictian in a less than ideal place.

Eldon

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I bought a 99 KLR650 & had 17,000 on it when I sold it just after getting the NT. I changed out the doo hickey and used soft bags, it was still on origingal chain. The most important change I made to it as a Russell daylong saddlewhich made it truly a long day motorcycleand the Russell didn't hamper it in off road situations. I sole it to a friend and the bike currently has nearly 30,00, He has just changed the chain and put brake pads on both ends.

I would suggest that you do some searching on Adventure rider for the wiring schematic to eliinate the side stand safety switch and the clutch safety switch. Those little micro switches can go belly up and leave you stranded , or else playing electrictian in a less than ideal place.

Eldon
Number 10 on this post. I also did the DooHicky, Over rode the side-stand switch. (Be careful with that and don't for get to put your side stand up or you will have a Suicide STand:eek1:) Also I had a Rick Mayer saddle on mine. And on second thought I did change out the Fork seals and fork Boots at about 20k miles. That was the only unscheduled repairs I did on mine. I just hope my DR650 gives me as good of service as my KLR. I really should have never sold it. That is the reason I have a DR now. Sellers remorse.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Thanks Chuck for the safety reminder on the side stand, LOL this old geezer does that immediately on getting a dual sport bike in this modern age.Oh yes for those who may not be aware, the KLR650 has a shim & bucket valve train so no short term adjustments are required. Mine had it's initial check per the service schdual, It has not been looked at since, just keep the oil & filter fresh !

Eldon

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Thanks Chuck for the safety reminder on the side stand, LOL this old geezer does that immediately on getting a dual sport bike in this modern age.Oh yes for those who may not be aware, the KLR650 has a shim & bucket valve train so no short term adjustments are required. Mine had it's initial check per the service schdual, It has not been looked at since, just keep the oil & filter fresh !

Eldon
Shim OVER bucket. If a shim needs to be replaced, tie wrap the cam chain to the cam sprocket. Remove the Cam journal, tilt cam up, use a dental pick to flip out old shim. Replace in reverse order. Only one cylinder so it is very easy. I changed one shim at the first check and then never another in 26k miles. Bullet proof motor with a doohicky mod.

bicyclist

Congrats, Jeff. I'm sure you'll have fun with that bike. It's good to get dirty.:p

Top Bottom