[Review] KonTour seat

stupidmonkey

After Rob posted a link to their site, I decided to go this route for my new seat. I figured I could be the first guinea pig on the NT700.

http://kontourseat.com/index.html

The process is fairly simple. They require a $50 deposit and the total cost is $575 for just the rider completed to KonTour specification and the pavilion covered or for $100 more you get the pavilion built to spec as well. Add in shipping and it came to just over $600. The turn around time was amazing and Ron was in contact with me the entire time. I shipped from FedEx and it arrived on a Friday and I had it back in my hands on Tuesday.

I've only rode 3 days with it but I can tell a difference between this and the stock covering. I do not slip forward on the KonTour and the padding does not cause my padding to hurt after riding for more than 50 miles :D As the temp is only around 85? for a high in Phoenix right now, I haven't been able to get the full effect of the mesh but I can place my hand on it with no problems when it is out in the sun. I will say it does take some time to get used to the look off the seat. Not your typical seat and will probably raise a lot of questions if you get near some other riders.

I'm very satisfied with the purchase and a big shout out to Ron and the guys at KonTour for a great product thus far. If you're still undecided it does come with a lifetime warranty as well.

You can see the pics in my gallery. This site that Rob posted has some better up close shots.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/ducati-motorcycles/gt-1000/seat-comparison/

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Oh cool, I'm glad someone checked it out. Please post more thoughts on it after it's all broken in and you've put some good miles on it. Glad to hear you had a positive experience. On some of the BMW forums that had been linked from Vulcan Bagger, people spoke very highly of the owner. Small operation so he gives a great amount of attention to you it seems like.

I'm still planning on getting a Russell as I want the width it provides - although the airflow of that polar mesh really seems neat. I have a feeling that would help with hotspots, and not sliding means no underlayers pinch anything - but I think I'd still get pressure points with it, which is my main cause of discomfort after a couple hours. I don't ride in the extreme heat a lot of you do, where the KonTour seat seems like it has great potential.

Thanks for the review - I look forward to further commentary. Glad to hear your initial thoughts are positive!

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
If your interested in the Kontour, there is a sale, but you need to hurry to take advantage of it. Seat will be made in December, and it can save $200. I think i will bite the bullet and order one. I old and feeble and need all the help I can get.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I will stay with Russell and do a ride inn & know that it will do the job for me. second choice is Riches in Kinston Wa. They have both been building seats for LD and other riders for ten years that I know about personally from my own experience.Teh price is so similar there is nothing to be gained from contour . Just my own thoughts ased on pretty close too 200,000 miles of seats built for my own body capable of 1500 mile days in comfort if I choose to ride them.

Eldon

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...although the airflow of that polar mesh really seems neat. I have a feeling that would help with hotspots...]

You can get somewhat of the same effect by using an inexpensive, beaded seat cover. They look funky but work well in regards to promoting more airflow when hot and an added benefit is they help keep your hindquarters dry in a day long rain since the water has a way to escape - rather than you sitting in a puddle for hours and hours and pressing that water into the material.

Tosh

Bike
2010 NT700V
Aircool butt? Does it heat up in the winter too! Both are neat ideas, but not worth your investment. Some times the best stuff is the old stuff. As many on this forum have read, Daylong seat for support and LDComfort underwear for heat and cool comfort. This seat tries to combine the two and looks to lack in both areas. Sorry about the negative attitude towards the product, but I have blown too much money on this new and greatest and unproven stuff. It sure to be more comfortable than a stock seat, but won't last like a Russel.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
I also am a recent Russell convert, but if I lived in AZ then a cool seet might be a priority for me as well. I hope the new KonTour works for you, and I applaud your willingness to pioneer it for everyone else who is uncommitted so far. I was in that boat until a mionth ago myself. My issue is the "hot spots" from sitting and pressure, so my day long is what the doctor ordered. My only real adjustment is because of the width of the saddle, my feet are not both as flatfooted at a stop like they were with the stock seat and a pad. The saddle will adjust to my rear end and I will adjust to the saddle, and then it will become a non-issue I suspect.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My only real adjustment is because of the width of the saddle, my feet are not both as flatfooted at a stop like they were with the stock seat and a pad. The saddle will adjust to my rear end and I will adjust to the saddle, and then it will become a non-issue I suspect.
LOL! Don't count on a Russell settling down and letting your flatfoot the bike, Len. I've put a few miles on two of them and, as far as I can tell, they've never gotten any lower. And my stubby little legs haven't stretched any either.

I think it's the spring in the Russell that keeps it from settling into a lower position.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Not to play contrarian - but I've experienced the opposite from Phil.
When my Russell was brand new, I could not flat foot my bike for the first time. After maybe 6 or 7k miles, I can easily flat foot with room to spare. It has settled roughly to where the stock seat was. My Russell has the "high density" foam, and I believe Phil's does as well. Seems odd we would experience this differently. Must have something to do with the original pan and how they refit to it I guess? (note that my Russell was not for my NT, but my tiger)

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Yeah...Maybe Phil's self described "stubby legs" have shrunk a little.
One thing I've come to appreciate about this forum and its members over the years (going back to the old .com site) is the diversity of experiences and opinions. Keeps thing "peppy" and at the very least interesting.

Top Bottom