Lake Superior Loop

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I am taking advantage of the cold winter weather to plan my next years long rides. Last year I rode US 61 south from St. Louis down to N'awlins. This year, I'm considering taking US 61 north to Minnestota and then into Canada to complete the Lake Superior loop. Has anyone in the group rode this loop? If so what were your impressions? I'm looking at a late May time frame.

Mike

Bike
Bonneville T120
Haven't done it Mike but after our move to Ohio I'm think about doing all of the Great Lakes!
I don't think I'll lack for things to do in retirement.

Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
I have done the loop twice and highly recommend it! Be sure to bring your bug spray.

I'm considering doing the loop again since it has been many years since the last go-round.

Try combining it with a trip across the Mackinac Bridge and down the east coast of Lake Michigan.

Cheers,

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I live there. May and even June are a bit early to be riding around Lake Superior. It can be 30 (or more) degrees cooler next to the lake than inland at that time of year. July and August are much better if you have a choice. I've started out on rides that go toward the lake and changed my route when I ran into cold drizzle and fog along the lake. It just wasn't much fun. The weather can be OK, but your chances are much better later in the summer. Riding along the cool lake on a hot day is a real treat.

Bugs are hit and miss. When they are bad they are awful. Other times they aren't a problem at all. It is about 90' shorter if you go clockwise rather than counter clockwise (you'll be in the inside lane). Be polite at the border crossings and you'll need a passport.

There aren't a lot of motels along the north shore. So if you want a motel reserve one early. Camping is available. There are more motels on the US side. There are some good side trips I can fill you in on if you have the time and inclination to do some extra riding. You can camp in my house if you want, but you won't get breakfast till 6:00 AM unless you cook it. I'm about 40 miles east of Duluth.

I last did the trip around the lake in 3 days with some friends. We went too fast and I missed a bunch of stuff so I need to do it again. We were in our 3rd day riding along the lake in the UP of MI in the fog and rain. I decided the fog there looked just like the fog at home so I headed home that day.

Mike, I was gawking at the map yesterday, planning where I might ride next summer. I guess that's what motorcyclists do in the winter. So, if I'm around when you come through I'll be glad to guide you and Traveler. I've met a bunch of folks from this forum and the ST side, but almost no one ever comes by here. (The Very Boring Rally in Duluth was an exception) I'm pretty familiar with the US side from Two Harbors MN to Sault Ste Marie MI and I've done the CA side a couple times now.

Any other takers out there? Mike, I hope you don't mind my inviting others along on your ride. None of this is very formal. We can make more serious plans if our stars line up.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The first summer I had my NT, I went to the Concours Owners Group National Rally in Tomah, WI, and spent four or five days riding around the Alphabet Highways of Wisconsin. Then I rode east to Oshkosh and visited the Experimental Aircraft Association Museum for about 2 1/2 hours and then to Manitowoc to catch the USS Badger across Lake Michigan to Luddington. From there I rode up to Cadillac and met Katherine (Elzilla on the Forum) and a couple of other riders whose names I forget (sorry 'bout that, guys! I'm getting old.)

The next morning we rode NW and met a couple who had an NT and an ST, then west to Sleeping Bear Dunes, north until we got through Traverse City and the rest of the group turned back toward the south. I spent the night in Mackinaw City, then went across the Bridge, and west on US-2 to MI-77, and then east a bit till I got on MI-123 to Tahquamenon Falls. From there I went to Whitefish Point and visited the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, and then back SE till I got to I-75 and Sault Ste. Marie. I spent the night there, watched a small sailboat lock through the locks and then went across into Ontario.

I had a problem there with customs because I was too stupid to read the sign that said "Stop Here Until Signaled." The Canadian customs lady really chewed me out -- for a bit I was afraid she wasn't going to let me in.

I rode Canada 17 to Nipigon, got on Canada 11, and took it all the way to Thunder Bay, getting off it only to ride out to Ouimet Canyon Provincial Park. I had a great meal in Thunder Bay, and rode down to Duluth to visit Aerostitch and then on down to the Twin Cities to visit an aunt and uncle before heading back to Fort Morgan.

I really enjoyed the loop around Lake Superior. I was in some of the hardest rain I've been in on the loop. From Whitefish Point to Sault Ste Marie was absolutely soaking. Then from just south of the Canadian border till almost to Duluth it was raining hard and cold. I stopped and put my heated jacket on to keep from freezing, but before I got out of Duluth, it was up to nearly 100F. Then south of Duluth, it rained so hard that the highway and the gas station parking lot in Bayview were under water for about 45 minutes.

I was traveling in mid-August. I don't think I would have wanted to be there in May.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I was traveling in mid-August. I don't think I would have wanted to be there in May.
With an off-shore wind you'll be fine in May. With an on-shore wind you'll freeze. Trouble is that the lake makes its own wind. The cold lake water makes cold air which sinks and blows toward shore so you can have an on-shore wind all the way around the lake on the same day.

I had a problem there with customs because I was too stupid to read the sign that said "Stop Here Until Signaled." The Canadian customs lady really chewed me out -- for a bit I was afraid she wasn't going to let me in.
Didn't you do that when we went to Alaska too? Ya, they don't like that. I know someone did, but I can't remember who. I went to CA 4 times last year and I have an oldheimers memory.

Then I rode east to Oshkosh and visited the Experimental Aircraft Association Museum for about 2 1/2 hours
I can't believe you exited so quickly. Must have been some circumstances.

and then to Manitowoc to catch the USS Badger across Lake Michigan to Luddington
I've crossed on the steam ship Badger a few times too. They always docked in Manitowoc on the WI side, but for a time EPA wouldn't let them dock there because of the air pollution from the coal so they docked at Kewanee. I rode the red-eye schedule and arrived around midnight thinking I was in Manitowoc. I had slept on the boat so I wasn't real sharp when leaving the dock at midnight-thirty. I knew where I was going but didn't know what town I was in. I rode in the darkness (literally and figuratively) for an hour before I got it figured out. (pre GPS)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Jim, I don't think I've ever repeated my faux-pas at Canadian Customs since 2010. Musta' been someone else you remember.

The circumstances that got me out of the EAA Museum so quickly were pre-paid reservations on the USS Badger. Speaking of which, seems to me that I heard that they were going to either convert it to an oil-burner or scrap it. The EPA wouldn't give them a waiver for all the black smoke any more.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Speaking of which, seems to me that I heard that they were going to either convert it to an oil-burner or scrap it. The EPA wouldn't give them a waiver for all the black smoke any more.
Ya, that has been going on for 10 or 15 years now.

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Thanks for the tip about the weather, Jim. I looked at that last night and discovered what you are talking about. I will probably plan on the trip later in the summer. Now I gotta figger out what to do with my vacation time in May... <sigh>.... so many rides.... so little time...

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Now I gotta figger out what to do with my vacation time in May... <sigh>.... so many rides.... so little time...
I'm envious of those who can plan a trip in great detail. I just make a real general plan and take care of the details as I go. Any great detail I have in my plans usually gets changed on-the-fly anyway. But like you said in your first post - "something to do on a cold winter day."

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Now I gotta figger out what to do with my vacation time in May..
Mike, the odds would be pretty good that we could ride (almost) all of Colorado in May. Come out and I'll show you around.

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I'm envious of those who can plan a trip in great detail. I just make a real general plan and take care of the details as I go. Any great detail I have in my plans usually gets changed on-the-fly anyway. But like you said in your first post - "something to do on a cold winter day."

I usually plan in detail but the plan usually goes out the window the minute I hit the road. I enjoy the planning almost as much as I do the actual ride. I research where I am going and usually find some interesting places I never would have found had I just winged it. On the other hand, my plans are usually so flexible that if I encounter something on the trip that merits more time, I can do that too.

Mike

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Mike, the odds would be pretty good that we could ride (almost) all of Colorado in May. Come out and I'll show you around.
Thanks for the offer Phil, I may just see you in May. If I do Colorado I will have to drop by my bro and sister-in-laws in Woodland Park for a visit.

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Mike, keep Colorado in mind as a possibility. We'd love to see you!

Top Bottom