Large lid install

Bike
2010 NT700 Bloom red
I picked up a 2010 that had been dropped, (only scratches) from an auction and replaced the factory lids with the larger ones ordered from the CMSNL.COM. What is the general consensus, when it comes to the latches? Do I reinstall the factory ones and go that route of do I install the "cabinet latches" the everyone else is using. I really dont mind the look of them and it seems they are more secure than the factory ones.

Rich

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Rich, I've had the big lids on both of my NTs and I've got some of the exterior latches if the factory latches ever give out. I put 139K miles on #1 and #2 has about 29K on it. If your factory latches are still working, I would wait to change to the exterior latches.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 NT700 Bloom red
Rich, I've had the big lids on both of my NTs and I've got some of the exterior latches if the factory latches ever give out. I put 139K miles on #1 and #2 has about 29K on it. If your factory latches are still working, I would wait to change to the exterior latches.
Is there any preventive reinforcement (epoxy, fiberglass, body filler....) that I should do to the new lids? Just want to avoid problems down the road.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Many have filled the lid latch towers with epoxy or JB weld. It can help prevent the plastic from cracking where the screws go in. Search a little for some threads on latches for pics.
Also don't slam the lids to close, line them up and press to latch.
You can always add the external latches later if the originals fail.

Arknt

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
What Arknt said. Also, there is a technique I and Frosty use to ease them open and shut. Unlike PHIL who is a slammer! :rofl1:
1. When opening the lids, "unload" them. I am tall so I would put my knee against the lid, unloading the force on the latch, then trip the latch, move the knee.
2. When closing, you want to gently snick it in place. Even try and put the latch lever in the opening position, letting it go when the lid is in place. But above all, be gentle.
3. Study the mechanism and see where you would have to drill a hole to trip the mechanism manually if you had too. Some folks have drilled holes and put in safty wires so they can trip the mechanism if they had to.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Many have filled the lid latch towers with epoxy or JB weld. It can help prevent the plastic from cracking where the screws go in. Search a little for some threads on latches for pics.
Also don't slam the lids to close, line them up and press to latch.
You can always add the external latches later if the originals fail.

Arknt
I would add one thing to Arknt's notes. Do Not stuff too much in the panniers ! If you stuff them too full it pulls on those latches. The lids should push slowly closed easily. Don't hesitate to use a waterproof bag on the passenger seat.
This picture was taken during a 25 day, camping trip across the country. The panniers were full, but not tight fit.

Attachments

OP
OP
Bike
2010 NT700 Bloom red
Thanks for the advice. Already have the bigger lids installed and Im waiting on the new latches to arrive, so I can install them. I will fill the latch mounts with some sort of epoxy before hand though.

Rich

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
What Arknt said. Also, there is a technique I and Frosty use to ease them open and shut. Unlike PHIL who is a slammer! :rofl1:
I'll have you know that I am not a slammer. I don't know why you think that. I did have the first set of luggage linkages replaced under warranty at about 50K miles. But the second set lasted till I traded the bike in at 139K. The original set on my #2 NT (Frosty's old bike) are still good at 29K.
šŸ¤¬

I don't understand the gratuitous insult.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Thanks for the advice. Already have the bigger lids installed and Im waiting on the new latches to arrive, so I can install them. I will fill the latch mounts with some sort of epoxy before hand though.

Rich
Epoxy is not good in a shock/vibration environment. A BS motorcycle fairing cement is ok.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I'll have you know that I am not a slammer. I don't know why you think that. I did have the first set of luggage linkages replaced under warranty at about 50K miles. But the second set lasted till I traded the bike in at 139K. The original set on my #2 NT (Frosty's old bike) are still good at 29K.
šŸ¤¬

I don't understand the gratuitous insult.
Sorry Phil but we witnessed the offense. Maybe you were just having a bad day.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Phil, confession is good for the soul.....
"Hi, my name is Phil, and I'm a lid slammer"

Feel better already, don'tcha?
;)
Mike

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
While at it do the same with the tether mount posts, my GF managed to snap them within two days after installing the big lids... šŸ˜
Use some masking tape as dam/barrier around the posts to build adequate support (I used 5 min epoxy)

Top Bottom