Large pannier lid - help - lock bar orientation

Hi all - my 2012 700 has been at dealer's because large pannier lids occasionally open (while riding) and at times will not close/latch (I have always been careful in closing them). This really sucks.

Honda dealer has only seen a couple other NT700's; they have no experience with this problem. Honda US of no technical help since they don't carry the big lids.

We want to verify the proper orientation of the two asymmetrical 'lock bars' that are along the topside of each lid.
The manual does not help and the big lid install instruction diagram does not clearly show the orientation.
I have attached the install directions.

Clear photos or line drawings would be super helpful!

Also, I know that some owners have installed aftermarket latches, but exclusive of that solution, are there any common part failures, and/or repair/adjustment tips re: the original latching mechanism that I can pass on to the dealer tech?

Thank you in advance!

Best,
Scott Johnston (Philadelphia area)

Attachments

Hi Scott, I've posted a response on the UK site..Hope the picture helps.

Bike
2010 NT700V
It doesn't matter which way you install the lock bars. If you pull one, flip it 180 degrees and put the two screws back. It will end up oriented the exact same way as it was before. You're problem is most likely not the lids themselves, but the latching mechanism behind the black plastic. I'll post up a more detailed explanation of the latch mechanism in a bit. but for now, I would recommend to make sure nothing is getting stuck between the lids and the black luggage carcass. for example, make sure the two fabric support straps fold in nicely and aren't getting caught in the seam.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700V
Sorry for the poor photos, but the majority of the latch assembly is tucked up below body work. I'll have to break this up in a few posts, but I'll try and stay in order of operation. These photos are of the left side lid latch assembly, but the right is just a mirror image.

The end of the lock assembly has a plastic cam with a pull cable end attached. With the key lock in the locked position, this cable is pulled and under strain.

keylock - Copy.JPG

When you unlock the lids with the key, this plastic cam rotates upwards relaxing and feeding the pull cable back in.

keyunlock - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700V
The single pull cable from the key lock runs to the back of the bike under the tail lights. There is a coupler where it pulls on two separate cables. These cables run to the left and right side of the bike for the lids.

joiner - Copy.JPG

When the luggage is locked, the pull cables pull a sliding bracket inward towards the center of the bike.

locked - Copy.JPG

When the key gets turned to unlocked, the pull cable relaxes and a spring attached to the sliding bracket pulls the bracket outwards towards the luggage lids.

unlocked - Copy.JPG

Bike
2010 NT700V
The latch mechanisms for the two lockbars on the lid are joined by a rod. This rod imparts the movements going on with the black plastic outside release lever to both latch points simultaneously.

The following photos just show some key components of the rear and forward lid latches.

rearlatch1 - Copy.jpg
rearlatch2 - Copy.jpg
forwardlatch - Copy.JPG

Bike
2010 NT700V
The sliding bracket has a round nub that engages with a open jaw on the release latch. This jaw in the photo looks like the open end of a spanner wrench. When the luggage is locked, this nub on the slider is pulled out of the jaw of the release latch since the slider has been pulled to center by the pull cable.

lockjaw - Copy.JPG

This is why the black plastic lever feels loose when the luggage is locked. The jaw isn't engaging with anything. The following photo shows the plastic lever being pulled on, but the bike is locked so the jaw isn't engaging with the slider.

lockjawswivel - Copy.JPG

Bike
2010 NT700V
When you unlock the luggage, the slider moves towards the lid. This brings the bracket nub into the jaw of the release latch and allows the mechanism to move.

unlockjaw - Copy.JPG

Bike
2010 NT700V
What else to look for. It's even harder to get a good photo of the lockbar latches themselves. The photo with "lockbar on lid" is probably the best look at one. But they pivot and are hook shaped, that's what grabs into the lockbars. As seen in the photos, both of the lockbar latches have little springs. This is in addition to the bigger spring that is attached to the sliding bracket. Make sure all springs are accounted for.

Also ensure the screws holding the lockbar latch assemblies haven't backed out or broken. Everything in there should be firmly mounted.

Have the dealer pull the seat and watch the operation of everything. They'll need a good light and inspection camera or mirror. When pushed, the lids should give a nice click and the hook ends of the lockbar latches should fully engage into the lockbars.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
What else to look for. It's even harder to get a good photo of the lockbar latches themselves. The photo with "lockbar on lid" is probably the best look at one. But they pivot and are hook shaped, that's what grabs into the lockbars. As seen in the photos, both of the lockbar latches have little springs. This is in addition to the bigger spring that is attached to the sliding bracket. Make sure all springs are accounted for.

Also ensure the screws holding the lockbar latch assemblies haven't backed out or broken. Everything in there should be firmly mounted.

Have the dealer pull the seat and watch the operation of everything. They'll need a good light and inspection camera or mirror. When pushed, the lids should give a nice click and the hook ends of the lockbar latches should fully engage into the lockbars.

Hope this helps.
than
Hi Scott, I've posted a response on the UK site..Hope the picture helps.
thank you!

Bike
2010 red NT700
Hi all. I’ve just read through this old thread and have a question on my newly acquired 2010 NT. The key lock for the panniers seems to be reversed. With the key up and down where the key will go in and out the bags will open. When the key is turned horizontally or at the 3 o’clock position the bags will lock but you can’t pull the key.

it’s almost like it’s reversed. Any suggestions would be appreciated

We love the bike. It’s a great running machine

Bike
2010 red NT700
Hi all. I’ve just read through this old thread and have a question on my newly acquired 2010 NT. The key lock for the panniers seems to be reversed. With the key up and down where the key will go in and out the bags will open. When the key is turned horizontally or at the 3 o’clock position the bags will lock but you can’t pull the key.

it’s almost like it’s reversed. Any suggestions would be appreciated

We love the bike. It’s a great running machine
Took another look at the pics after I pulled my switch area apart. The cable was routed incorrectly and was effectively doing nothing. Rerouted it around the cam and now the key lock worked as intended. Thanks all for the pics and discussion above

DonH

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
This was a very timely dissertation for my use - thank you! I had pulled off the right saddlebag because of a brake issue. In doing that, I took off the release handle for that side (which I later figured out to be unnecessary). After I put the saddlebag back on, the release handle was very hard to pull, even to the point I was afraid of it breaking off. I remembered your article, so I reread it and studied all the photos. Did not figure out what I did wrong, but I took the handle off and put it back on several times and studied the operation and now it seems to be working fine. And, I have a better understand of how the latches work. Again, thank you.

Top Bottom