Large pannier lid leak

I recently installed the large pannier lids and the left pannier base accumulates several ounces of water following rain.
This did not occur with the standard lid.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Mine does that too. I don't get much water in the pannier but some and it has to rain pretty hard. I rubbed a small amount of silicone grease on the seals. Seems to have helped but it hasn't rained much lately.
I sort of think that the posts that you screw the metal bits that keep it shut are ever so slightly too long and it doesn't seal as well as it should

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I don't have many ideas other than an inspection of the seals on the inner pannier.
Mine close with a squeeze as the outer lid compresses the foam seal. I'm not sure they are 100% waterproof but pretty good.

Brad

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My left big lid leaks a couple of spoonfuls of water in heavy rain. Not enough to hurt anything I've ever carried in the left pannier. AFAIK, the right one doesn't leak at all.

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I've noticed that most of the time when I close the lid, the nylon strap that keeps the lid from opening too far (stopper band?) folds the wrong way (out instead of in) and breaks the seal around the lid. I have to make a conscious effort to make sure the strap isn't sticking out. I'm sure it would allow a way for water to get in if it was across the seal.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...I've noticed that most of the time when I close the lid, the nylon strap that keeps the lid from opening too far folds the wrong way (out instead of in) and breaks the seal around the lid...]

That happens a lot on my bike with the standard lids so I need to invent a simple rubber band system to pull them inwards! :rolleyes1:

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
[...I've noticed that most of the time when I close the lid, the nylon strap that keeps the lid from opening too far folds the wrong way (out instead of in) and breaks the seal around the lid...]

That happens a lot on my bike with the standard lids so I need to invent a simple rubber band system to pull them inwards! :rolleyes1:
Mine too. I have to make sure that they fold "inwards" not "outwards".
I have never had any rain entry into the standard lids but I do get a little bit (perhaps 1 teaspoonful) in when I hose the bike down at mains pressure.

Macka

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Mine don't do that. Both lids have been water tight.

Top Bottom