Last oil temp check for now

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Having decided that oil temp is not an issue on the NT, but wanting to still learn things, I have decided to terminate my oil temperature checks for now till I get my new probe, (got scared putting expensive calibrated glass probe into crank case) but here is my last check today. Unseasonal warm 48 degrees and sunny in Spokane. Rode 20 miles in 30 minutes. Rode into garage and turn engine off instead of letting her idle till the fan comes on. Oil temp was 162 degrees. Turn bike back on and let idle till fan turns on and off once. Oil temp 184 degrees. I intend to continue riding every 7-10 days if possible through the winter when I can and logging the trips. I also think its a good idea or at least cant hurt to let the bike come up to fan temp before shutdown. Summer temp readings should be interesting.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Chris is checking oil temps to see if his short winter rides are burning off the condensation that builds up.

The theory is the oil needs to reach a certain temperature for this to happen and short winter rides may not be enough resulting in condensation build up in the oil.

Condensation in the oil can lead to improper engine lubrication and possibly premature engine failure

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
The oil temp may be high enough to burn off any condensation in the crankcase but I am not sure your exhaust would be hot enough long enough to burn off the condensation in the pipe.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
The oil temp may be high enough to burn off any condensation in the crankcase but I am not sure your exhaust would be hot enough long enough to burn off the condensation in the pipe.
The NT700 has a full stainless system so it should not be a problem!

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
(Bought a digital steel thermometer today) I wouldnt worry too much about the exhaust. If you have any concerns, just grab onto it after a 20 mile ride and see how hot it gets! But here is a good story. Many cars are driven short distances around towns. Mechanics in the last century have found up to a gallon of water inside mufflers while working on the exhaust systems. Look at a car with a big engine or a pickup at a stoplight when its cold and if it hasnt been driven a great distance, you can see water dripping out the tailpipe.
(Rick, being an aeroplane mechanics, I find things like oil temp interesting. Water cooled engines have much less problem with it, but many air cooled UJM bikes in the last century had issues with it. If you bought a Yamaha 650 Seca here, you didnt get an oil cooler. In Europe, you got one. Joe Minton measured UJM oil temps for Rider magazine for an article and I think he saw 280 degrees on one bike. And that was in the sump. The new Honda CB1100 comes with a cooler, I think. And all for under $10,000.)

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
(Bought a digital steel thermometer today) I wouldnt worry too much about the exhaust. If you have any concerns, just grab onto it after a 20 mile ride and see how hot it gets! But here is a good story. Many cars are driven short distances around towns. Mechanics in the last century have found up to a gallon of water inside mufflers while working on the exhaust systems. Look at a car with a big engine or a pickup at a stoplight when its cold and if it hasnt been driven a great distance, you can see water dripping out the tailpipe.

The majority of the water you see dripping from the tailpipe on an engine that has been recently started is water that is a by-product of combustion, not condensate that has formed in the exhaust. I think that the amount of condensation that forms within the crankcase is miniscule in comparison. I really wouldn't worry too much about it.

Mike

Top Bottom