latches

slowtrot

The latches are not a good robust design. They can be made to function with some work. Think of them a cable activated triggers on a gun. These triggers take a lot of trigger pressure to release their "hammers ." I took mine out a couple of years ago and filed down the "sears" and polished them so the trigger would release the latch with much less pressure. I did not take pictures but I never have had any more stuck latches and they hold the lids well. You could probably file off too much and get a hair trigger which will release the lid even if you are not pulling the levers.

This is not an easy fix because you have to take the system completely out to work on them. I had tried everything else-cleaning, new grease, new oil, new slickum nothing seemed to assure me that they would open every time. But they do now!

slowtrot

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I think you got it right. When I dig my NT out of the snowbank next month that is one of the things on my maintenance list. Teflon cable lube helps too, but that requires cleaning and re-lubricating periodically. Like many others I disconnected my seat lock so, with the seat off, I can just reach in and work them manually if needed.

I haven't even seen my bike since last October. It is like getting a new motorcycle every year!!!

Top Bottom