Legal HID Headlamps? Modifing your headlamp reflector.

Bike
2010 NT700V
HiDs are clearly a positive for you as a motorcyclist, but not so positive for other drivers. With a lower voltage and amp draw it produces more light! YEAY. However, if you did not replace your stock headlight reflector with specific HiD reflector, you are breaking the law. Car manufacturers like Ford factory install HIDs. They are completly legal throughout the US because the reflector has a light cuttoff at the top part of the lens. The lenses look like a maginfying glass. Here are some examples http://www.theretrofitsource.com/retrofit_examples.php

Most of my info was from this post
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110802235540AABPYYM

Ok, now with all that info, I still want to go HiD. Has anyone retrofitted there stock headlamps for HIDs with a modified reflector?

elizilla

HIDs have a lower draw in operation, but they have a higher draw as they turn on. You have to be careful of that.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
The manufacturers spend the time and money to get the lamps DOT approved. Is there a single aftermarket manufacturer of lamps that has done this? All that I have seen are sold for off road use only... Legal and not got arrested yet are not the same.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Is there a single aftermarket manufacturer of lamps that has done this?
Yes, well kind of... The Sylvania Xenarc X1010 Auxiliary HID Lighting System is DOT approved. But it is not a "HID conversion kit" it is additional lighting. And Sylvania is also a major OEM supplier to the automobile manufactures as well so they are familiar with the requirements and have the test / approval facility in place. I have the X1010 system and it is an outstanding "add on" HID system, for a car or truck, but it is way to big for most motorcycles.

There is not a single "HID Conversion Kit" that is street legal in the USA, due to the lack of DOT approval, that I have seen advertised. And until the reflector issues are resolved I highly doubt you will find one....

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
There are plenty of ways to get more light out and do it legally. Sylvania Silver Star H-7 bulbs aimed properly do well. Add a pair of Denali Lghts, and things really brighten up. I don't know how one would need more light unless they were traveling at Mach 1.

Top Bottom