Lifting a NT upright

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Hi Folks,

We're getting soaked here in Virginia with rains from Ida. My garage/barn has a gravel floor which flooded and turned it into mush. So one of my NTs tipped over on its right side. It was on its center stand, but with water everywhere, just not enough firm ground underneath it. Thankfully everything on the bike looks intact.

I searched these pages and didn't find any wisdom about how to bring an NT back upright. I don't have anyone to help me, being a self absorbed loner (as my ex-wife would describe me), so I have to do it on my own.

A jack would just sink into the same muck. There is an area that is still firm onto which I would move the bike once it is mobile.

I'm thinking of attaching a come along to the far side wall then running a rope to the bike. But where do you think I should attach the rope to the bike? Take off the seat and attach to the frame there? Attach to the grab handles?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
How I lift bikes...
one hand on handlebar, the other on passenger rails, chest/belly on seat, spread legs rearward, dig toes/balls in and start walking...
One it's half way up, I jack one knee under the side of the seat, give it a little kick and pull it vertical...

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
There is a method that you can find on the net about uprighting a fallen bike. The vid shows a little gal raising a Goldwing. First lower the side stand and find a piece of plywood to place under the stand where it will land when upright. Then from the right side of the bike place yourself with your backside facing the bike. Squat down with your butt on the seat and grasp the handlebar with your left hand and the passenger grab rail with your right hand and then slowly walk backwards using your legs for the lifting. Here's a link to a vid. Good luck!

Mike

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I would rather lift it myself using my legs if possible.
I would not attach a pulley or come a long to the grab handles. They are pretty solid but not steel. Maybe attach to frame. Handlebars probably solid enough but will pivot as bike comes up.

Hope no damage.

Brad

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I don't consider that a "fallen motorcycle".
It is still nearly upright IMHO.
Lifting a bike which is completely on it's side (handle bars touching the ground) is much harder.

Macka

Bike
2010 NT700V
I don't consider that a "fallen motorcycle".
It is still nearly upright IMHO.
Lifting a bike which is completely on it's side (handle bars touching the ground) is much harder.

Macka

The method mikesim posted is still the "correct" method and applicable. I used that method to lift my NT in the slam that obliterated my left side luggage lid.

I also used that method just last week to pick up a 500lb VFR I slow dropped on a downhill gravel road in the mountains being a clumsy goof by riding into a water drainage rut. (nice cushiony dead leaves for most of it, just some scratches). No side panniers, completely on its side. Side stand deployed before lifting. Rump on the edge of the seat, left hand on the handlebar pulling in the brake lever. Right hand up under the tail subframe. Walked backwards and rose with the bike.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Yup, you did it correctly by using your thigh muscles ("quads") to lift/push the bike upright. The quads are your largest muscles!
:)

Last edited:
Mikesim is spot on, I dropped my K75 on it's side crossing some muddy grass, getting the hand holds and walking backwards is definitely the way to get the job done.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I am sorry if you all mistook my comments. I was not saying that the method was wrong.
What I meant is that the lady doing the lifting would have needed to put in a lot more effort if that monster was truly on its side.
Our NTs would not remain nearly standing up like that!

Macka

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Fortunately, the tip over wings on the NT keep it from completely laying on its side when taking a "dirt nap" thus making it somewhat easier to get upright again. I glad to see that some on the forum have used the method that I mentioned successfully. I've been lucky in that every time Traveller has gotten away from me someone has always been there to help me get him upright so I have never had the need to personally use the method that I mentioned. I have filed the vid away in my remembery so that when the time comes (and I'm sure it will) that I am alone and Traveller decides it's "nap time" I will be able to upright him myownself.

Mike

OP
OP
harryhendo
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Thanks for all the replies! I used MikeSim's method (back to bike, hold the handlebar with the left hand, the passenger grab bar with the right hand, and push with legs, walking backwards as the bike comes up. That worked really well, and she's back upright and on firm ground now. The only casualty was the right side mirror, $35 from cheapcycleparts.com (plus (arggg.... $10 shipping). Not a scratch otherwise.... gotta love those small black 'wings'... they really work.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've had the bike lay down 90-degrees to the ground, resting on the big lids and the tipover wings. Then it tends to slide rather than coming up and that can damage the big lids with deeper scrapes. My problem these days is that I don't have knees that will bend enough to let me get rump onto the edge of the seat as I lift it and I no longer have the strength in my quads. If Horse goes down, he's probably there until I get help.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Here's another way to get a bike back on two wheels:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Here's another way to get a bike back on two wheels:

Pretty clever! I wonder if the tipover switch on the NT would prevent you from using that method?

Mike

Top Bottom