Lifting or removing Fuel Tank

BlackEyes1

I tried searching for this but have been unable to find it here on the forum. And even though my request is related to farkling, I thought it really is a maintenance question.

This weekend I am going to try and put on some farkles such as the Powerlet Outlet handle bar clamp thingie (that's a technical term right? ;)). So it mentions to route the cabling under the gas tank. Additionally, I would like to put a K&N air filter on the bike (apparently under the fuel tank) and well if I can only lift/remove the tank once all the better. I have ordered the NT700V service manual but it is 3 weeks out. :turtle: So my qualm is that I don't know how to remove the tank, if there are any gotcha's to watch out for, etc. Would it be possible for someone here (who already has some sort of service/shop manual) to scan a few pages out of the book related to fuel tank lifting/removal and maybe post them or send me a PM? Any help or even helpful notes that anyone could provide would be really appreciated.

BlackEyes1

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The tank is hinged at the back and if you remove the two 6 mm bolts in front, the tank will swing back to give access to the air box. By the way, it appears that those two bolts are holding down plastic trim which they are but underneath is the front mount for the tank. Make sure the tank is less than half full when you swing it up or you'll have gasoline spilled on everything!

Physically removing the tank from the bike is a lot more involved and I've never had a reason to do that. I can do the valve adjustment with the tank still mounted but held in the UP position with a steel rod.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I got the Powerlet bar clamp and have never wired it up. My GPS is wired to my Fuzeblock and my heated jacket is wired directly to the battery with the Heat-troller velcroed to the side of the gas tank.

If any body wants a Powerlet bar clamp, I'd be willing to swap even-up. But you'd have to ship me yours first, and I'd ship mine to you after yours was on my bike.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
In regards to an air cleaner element needing replacement or cleaning, the only sure way is to watch fuel economy. When you're sure it has dropped and you're well beyond the replacement mileage, it probably means the filter is dirty. Fuel economy is the least subjective way to check where acceleration or other speed measures are often too subjective.

Top Bottom