Longer cables

NL7U

Redbird...

From your username and description of how you extended your brake line, I assume you have a non-ABS model NT700, which has a completely different type of fitting on the lower end (see Honda part number 45124-MEW-851). However, if I read your reply correctly, it seems you have found that you can add extra banjo fittings to each end of your existing hose. Is that like a banjo to banjo connection? I sure would like to get an education in brake line fittings and what will fit what. If I am having problems finding ABS stuff, then others also are having problems and maybe we could pool our brains and come up with the answers that we need to safely raise our handlebars.

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
No, not extra banjo fittings, a new hose and banjo fittings. The hose is available in various lengths, for example, 21", 22", 23", 24", etc. Each end of the hose has a fitting with a nut that spins on the fitting. The banjos, available in straight, 35 degree and 90 degree bends -- where the bends are perpendicular to the flats on the banjo (different then the honda hose that has the bends parallel to the banjo flats) -- have matching machined fittings such that when the hose is screwed onto the banjo, the connection is brake fluid tight. No leaks. Using these, you can make up a brake line that is as long as you like. So I made up a brake line that goes from the handlebar to the connection block on the NT700V. You are right, I have a NT700V, not a VA. As I said, I used a straight banjo at the lower end of the hose, and a 35 degree banjo at the upper end. Each banjo adds 1" to the length. I see what you mean about your hose being different, the lower fitting particularly. My suggestion would be to take your hose (while still on the bike of course) to a place that makes up hydrolic fittings and hoses and ask them if they can make you a hose using at least your lower fitting. I've had hoses made for the front end loader of a small Kaboda tractor - worked just fine. Hope that clarifies things.
Ken

NL7U

Redbird..

Thanks for the reply. I just got an email from HEL today. If I ship or bring my old hose to them they will do up whatever I want. Since I will be in their area this summer, I will do this and maybe even get a tour of their facility.

ABS riders, take heart. Help is on the way!!

Top Bottom