[Review] Lower footpegs from Knight Design

elizilla

(posted on other forum, 3/17/2010)

Today I received a set of prototype footpegs from Knight Design. They fit in the standard peg mounting bracketry, and near as I can tell they will not touch any earlier when leaned into a curve. But the surface you place your foot on, is an inch lower than stock.

I installed them right away, and took the bike out for a test ride. The new foot position is more comfortable and roomy, very nice. I was afraid that losing the rubber part would increase any peg vibration, but it doesn't seem to, also great.

The brake pedal and shift lever will need adjusting, and that's not going to be a quick job. I'm going to wait and do that this weekend when I have more time, or if I do tackle it on a weeknight I'll do it when the pipes are cool. I'll write about that project when I figure it out. :)

Also, having come to this bike from the sportier VFR, I habitually place the balls of my feet on the pegs, and my left heel is touching on the centerstand pedal. I don't know what if anything can be done about that. It's not really causing a problem, it just feels weird. Maybe I'll get used to it. But if you have larger boots than my Euro size 43 Teknics, and you too take a sporty foot position, it might be a problem for you.

Knight Design is going to offer them in multiple colors and tread designs, and with a choice of the stock height, one inch lower, and two inches lower. I just wrote to let them know that their prototypes fit. I don't know how quickly they'll appear on their website, but I bet it won't be too long.

Here's a picture of the new peg on the bike, and I've held the stock peg up next to it for comparison:

OP
OP

elizilla

Since I posted that, I had some problems with my left foot swelling up, that I now believe were due to my incorrect adjustment of the shift lever after lowering the pegs, and the things it did to my riding posture as I unconsciously tried to adapt. The problem was resolved by lowering the shift lever.

Then when I got my Russell seat, the lower pegs felt awkward so I have gone back to stock. But these lower pegs are not for sale - I plan to put them back on in the spring, now that I've adapted to the seat and broken it in a bit. :)

Bike
'10 Silver NT700
I purchased a set of the 1" lowering, clear anodized pegs from another NT owner, but found them to lower my feet too much. I'll sell them to another NT forum member for the $65 I paid.

Top Bottom