Lower or higher?

jukka71

Hi there!

I have a 2006 model where you can adjust the windshield lower or higher, two alternatives. I just read an finnish article from 2006 where the writer mentioned that "for persons tall 6?10? should use the lower alternative, less noise!". I have it installed higher now. :confused:

I know you guys have models from 2010 but maybe your models have the same measurements at the windshield?! I also know that the best way is just try other windshields on the market... But thanks for your answers!

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The North American models, 2010 and 2011, have a five position adjustable windshield that just slides up and down. You might want to check out the Deauville UK forum for suggestions on the earlier versions windshield positions and any available optional windshields.

AzzA

G'day Jukka,

noise inside a helmet is a very subjective thing; it can be caused by many things, including the angle your legs rests (seriously).

What I have found, with the NT700 and other bikes as a general rule, is that the screen needs to be just below the riders eye-line (horizontally) to spill air smoothly over the rider. If the screen is lower than this the turbulence will cause booming inside the helmet, unless the screen is so low that the air-blast hits the rider around the sternum or lower (i.e. the helmet above any turbulence from the bike). Even this generalisation will be upset by choice of helmet, jacket, and seating position, etc.

Due to the forward fairings on some bikes it is almost impossible to avoid the turbulence by doing anything but raising the screen.

In the case of 6'10" riders on the NT650, the OEM screen must be too short for such tall riders. The option would be to buy a higher custom screen.

If you have money to spend on another screen, custom, then you should raise your OEM screen to the highest position and measure how much longer it would need to be. You will need a friend or two. With you sitting on your bike, as if riding, have your friend extend an inverted ruler over the top of the screen until the zero mark is just below your eye-line.
A guide used on one website was to place two markers in front of the bike, one at 10m and another at 20m. Sit as if riding and face/look at the 10m marker, then only moving your eyes look a the 20m marker. Measure to your eye-line for the 20m marker to find your ideal screen height. Not sure how this was derived, but it seems to work on other bikes.

OP
OP

jukka71

What I have found, with the NT700 and other bikes as a general rule, is that the screen needs to be just below the riders eye-line (horizontally) to spill air smoothly over the rider.
That?s what I?ve thought, too. Thanks for your answers!

Another little note: placement of the top vent holes in the helmet can be crucial. Try drastically altering your helmet position on your head and you may get some amazing results. On mine when I tilted the helmet as far down as possible the wind noise virtually disappeared.

OP
OP

jukka71

Try drastically altering your helmet position on your head and you may get some amazing results.
Have tried that without good results (have a new Nolan N104). But thanks!

AzzA

Have tried that without good results (have a new Nolan N104). But thanks!
Ditto... great helmet at a great price too, if you've got a head that will fit into one, I would recommend them.

The N-104 is near silent if you stand up into the non turbulent air, or ride a naked bike. (Will vary for different people and conditions, of course.)

Top Bottom