Luxury Lite Mesh Cot

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My cot came today. I'll post an update to this report after I've put it together for the first time. Probably won't go out and pitch the tent and sleep on it tonight, though.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
It was a snap to put up. It's comfortable to lay on and packs relatively small, just slightly larger than my sleeping pad and slightly smaller than my sleeping bag.

Joanne's wondering if I'll have to get a trailer to carry all this stuff. I sure hope not!

Last edited:

taldric

The cot is great! Glad you got one. Try sleepng on it one night with your Big Agnes to make sure it will work for you once you are out traveling.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Mine shows arriving in Portland at noon today, so I imagine it will be here by 4 or 5 pm, as that is the normal tie for buster brown to get here to me.

Eldon

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Tim, I've got 1Trk and some of his friends from Michigan coming to camp in my background as they ride to the mountains the first weekdend in June. If they weren't going to be here on a Saturday night, I'd camp with them. But since Sunday is my only day to work, I probably need to get some sleep, so I'll be more likely to camp all by myself in the yard one of these nights soon.

I think I've got everything I need to camp sucessfully now: Kermit chair, REI Half-Dome 2+ tent, Big Agnes Buffalo Park + 40 sleeping bag, Big Agnes Insulated Q-Core sleeping pad, Luxury Lite cot, and the other thing I got today, a RayoVac LED lantern (with 3 D-cells, this is bright. Joanne said to tell you that you'll be able to read in your tent when I've got it on, Rick!). I think the only other thing I'm getting is the Dry-Spec Waterproof Motorcycle Packing System.

What this all means is that I am now committed to camping! Joanne said, "Are you sure you couldn't have stayed in motels for less money?" I told her that I would have come out ahead to motel it this summer, but next summer is a whole different deal.

Last edited:

Nicole

it looks like something that could be used as a stretcher. all you need is a few poles.

Bike
Rick, I believe if my memory is correct tha is written in thiere wb site , either by them , or by someone in a review of the product.

Eldon

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I've seen them used both ways. If it were me, I'd use it inside the tent as putting it under the tent makes all your in-tent storage now angled.

Bike
After recieving my Luxery Lite at 5PM and setting it up for first time, I got the heavie duty wider one as Phil did, it went pretty good once I fumbled and stumbled my way through it. I will need to do this several more times to have my efficiency improved by experience. I think I will have to agree with Mellow regarding putting bedinside of tent, mayb a extra tarp under bed area, maybe even a section of strong canvas to protect floor although the Coleman I have seems to have a pretty good floor in it some extra material would only make it sleep warmer. Not like when packing into elk camp with horses and muels and having plenty of saddle blankets to go under cots.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'm guessing I'll put it inside and watch the tent floor for any early signs of strain.

taldric

I find it hard to believe that the feet of the cot would harm the tent. Your weight is distributed over 12 feet, and each foot is rounded. I have no proof of course, but it sure seems like it shouldn't be a problem.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
That's my theory, too, Tim. The tent isn't made out of thick material, but it's strong. I don't think a cot foot would come as close to damaging it as a sharp rock underneath it would. I've had four or five tents in my adult life and I've never damaged a flooor. Most of my tents have been budget items -- the Half Dome 2 + is not a budget item.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I find it hard to believe that the feet of the cot would harm the tent. Your weight is distributed over 12 feet, and each foot is rounded.
The question I have is how many square inches of contact surface do those twelve rounded feet provide? Your body weight is being disproportionately spread over those relatively few square inches. The zone from your shoulders to hips is a significant amount of weight on a very small surface area.

Top Bottom