Maintenance: Items to check

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I walked out to my bike after breakfast this morning and the centerstand was dangling oddly. There is one (count 'em, 1) bolt holding the centerstand on. Mine is missing.

The bolt is, according to the parts fiche, a 6X14 metric flange bolt. I can't find one of those here in Fort Morgan, so I'm getting a 6X16 metric bolt and a couple of washers. I will also use blue Loctite on it.

You might want to check yours. The bolt is on the right side, and the springs and the pivot on the left side seem to be holding it loosely in place.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Be very careful putting that bolt in, center stand "return" springs can have a nasty recoil. When I added the optional center stand to my Bonnie the "return" spring slipped off and punched a hole in the drywall in my garage! There can be a lot of stored energy in that area...

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Be very careful putting that bolt in, center stand "return" springs can have a nasty recoil. When I added the optional center stand to my Bonnie the "return" spring slipped off and punched a hole in the drywall in my garage! There can be a lot of stored energy in that area...
I wasn't going to unhook the springs, but by the time I got a bolt and got home, the centerstand had wiggled to the right and the part that goes into the hole where it pivots on the left side was out of the hole. I had to unhook the springs to get it reinserted. There are two springs and one of them is smaller than the other. I got that one hooked easily, but it took a lot of contortion to get the larger one reattached.

The Honda spec is for a 6X14 metric flange bolt. I could only find 6X12 and 6X16 here in town, so I got the 16. It sticks out of the threaded hole a bit on the inside but I can't see anything that it would interfere with.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Phil - Your description is a little misleading as the centerstand actually pivots on a large tube that is held in place by the
6 mm bolt you mentioned. At first glance of your text, one would think the entire centerstand was pivoting on a 6 mm
bolt. :)

I havn't looked at the clearance myself, but I am wondering if it sticks up out of the threaded hole enough, would there be room to put a jam nut on the top (as well as Locktite), if you got an even longer bolt?

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Phil - Your description is a little misleading as the centerstand actually pivots on a large tube that is held in place by the
6 mm bolt you mentioned. At first glance of your text, one would think the entire centerstand was pivoting on a 6 mm
bolt. :)
You're right! As I wrote that I knew I wasn't describing it very well. Thanks -- I'll go back and edit my original post.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I havn't looked at the clearance myself, but I am wondering if it sticks up out of the threaded hole enough, would there be room to put a jam nut on the top (as well as Locktite), if you got an even longer bolt?
I think the 16mm bolt would probably allow a nut to go on. I hadn't thought of that. I'll probably do that.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Ken,

Take a look at the retention bolt and see if it got daubed with paint during manufacture -- seems to me as if most fasteners on the bike have a mark that shows they were checked. Since my centerstand retention bolt was gone, I couldn't tell if it had been checked.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
It is indeed in a hot place. We can all put it on our quarterly -- semi-annual maintenance checklist.

Top Bottom