Manifold Absolute Pressure MIL's

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
The NT started getting intermittent MIL's about 2 1/2 months ago. Interestingly, the problems started 3 weeks after dropping the NT after hitting a deer. I'm crossing my fingers that it is now cured, or at least in remission.

Symptoms: A solid MIL lit when ignition key turned to start. Most times it would clear by cycling the ignition switch, on a few occasions the MIL stayed solid. Could also clear MIL by cycling engine kill switch. Active MIL's were always an ECM code 1- Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP). Stored codes in the ECM were always (and only) a 1, MAP voltage, hi or lo.

A few weeks ago the NT started stalling when cold just above idle. It started fine and once warm it ran better, but not great. Even when warmed up the engine was weak coming off of idle.

Attempted Fixes: Disconnected, inspected, reconnected both ECM connectors. No change...still got MIL's & engine ran rough just above idle.
Needed to do 24K valve inspection, so while checking the valves, tried a few more fixes. Disconnected, inspected, blew out with compressed air, & reconnected connectors associated with checking valves (MAP, Throttle Position (TP), both Fuel Injectors, Inlet Air Temp (IAT), Idle Air Control Valve (IACV), Cam Position (CMP?), Pulse Air something something (PAIR?), fuel pump, 10 wire multipin connector (it contain MAP, Fuel injectors, TP, IACV, CMP signals). I didn't find any smoking gun on the connectors, but a few of them felt weakly connected. I also relieved the stress on the IAT sensor (at the front of the air cleaner) wiring going into the wire harness by cutting back some electrical tape. Found some fouling on the rear spark plug, and replaced both spark plugs. Found some excess dirt and grim around the insulator under the rear throttle body possibly indicating some air leakage into the rear cylinder. This could explain poor engine performance just above throttle and fouled spark plug. Inspected wiring harnesses, fuel lines, vacuum lines....no problems found.

End result: Put everything together and have been trouble-free for ~500 miles, ~30 starts, >100 cycling of ignition switch. Engine runs strong at low rpms again, and no MIL's!! Total cost- $0. Special tools needed--service manual. I suspect a connector was loose/corroded/dirty & possibly throttle body was also jarred loose when NT was dropped.

The service manual is very good at giving information on how to fix MIL's & stresses to check all connectors before checking sensors and the ECM, but it doesn't ever mention the 10 multipin connector containing the MAP signal.

As much pain as checking the valves every 8K miles is, it does provides the opportunity to look at the air-in and air-fuel-out sides of the throttle bodies, inspect vacuum hoses & fuel lines & wire harnesses, pull spark plugs..etc. And my valves didn't need adjustment at 24K after making the first adjustment on the front exhaust valves at 16K.

I bought a MAP Sensor thinking that if MIL's continue after the above inspections, that then it would be a good time to replace the MAP Sensor. So far, so good. The Honda dealer has a 30-day-return-for-full-refund policy if the part is not used. I haven't opened the new MAP sensor package.:)

It is somewhat unsatisfying to not find a failed component, but that is the way it can be with intermittent electrical faults.

Last edited:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
It is somewhat unsatisfying to not find a failed component, but that is the way it can be with intermittent electrical faults.
Yes indeed.. I've probably spent years of my professional career attempting to track down intermittent electrical problems in various military and civilian telecommunications systems. The mobile systems are the worst... As a hobby I've restored a couple bikes and several cars, including a couple "Lucas Prince of Darkness" era British sports cars, those brought new meaning to unending frustration while chasing intermittent problems...that moved around! I learned a long time ago that if the problem goes away to be happy...even if you don't know why. Just closely document everything that you did up to when it went away... And if, or should I say when, it comes back do the same things you did before and see if it goes away again, if it does you are on your way to isolating and finding the issue.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
The NT started getting intermittent MIL's about 2 1/2 months ago. Interestingly, the problems started 3 weeks after dropping the NT after hitting a deer. I'm crossing my fingers that it is now cured, or at least in remission...
The dealer believes our intermittent TPS MIL (code 8) was a loose TPS connector. The Sub-code was low-voltage indicating a likely poor connection. Testing the connection with the special Honda tool, showed that the connector was loose. They tightened the pins and were unable to reproduce MIL after torturing the connection and harness. Still a bit early for us to determine if the issue is fixed but so far (100 miles and 3 engine starts no indicator).

Sounds like you found your issue. I plan on paying VERY close attention to all the connectors on the throttle body when I perform the next valve clearance check. Like you correctly point out, while you're in there might was well have a look. :cool:

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
We went for a ride last Saturday and the MIL came back. Looks like "fixing" the pins in the connector wasn't the problem. We've been riding with the GoPro on the ready to video the bike if/when it acted up. Here's an edited video I have of what our NT is doing when the MIL comes on. I'm hoping this will reduce the need for the dealership to try and recreate the problem. It had been 260 miles since the last instance.

I'll be contacting Blue Ridge Powersports today and pointing them to this video. I'll update this thread as things progress.

[video=youtube;N_sqen6hSbQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_sqen6hSbQ[/video]

OP
OP
dnktng
Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
We went for a ride last Saturday and the MIL came back. Looks like "fixing" the pins in the connector wasn't the problem. We've been riding with the GoPro on the ready to video the bike if/when it acted up.
Regarding 4:00 attempt to read the MIL code, IIRC the clutch may need to be released to make the MIL flash the code. I'm not 100% sure about the clutch, and you may have released the clutch anyway. That was confusing as to why it wouldn't flash the code???

Concerning the hiccups and power losses...That looks like the Fail-Safe Function from the ECM working when you have an active fault.

In your case you're sitting at the gas station at the end of the video, assuming that the throttle is released and you clearly have the locked in MIL code 8 before shutting off the engine. You turn engine off, Ignition switch back on, start engine and the MIL code 8 clears all without changing the position of the TP sensor. Since the TP sensor doesn't change positions, how could it cause the MIL code 8 to clear? Seems unlikely to me. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is anything that can change throttle position (and the TP sensor) during engine start other than the normal throttle & cable linkage. That should be good news, because it seems much more likely to be connections to the TP sensor causing the MIL code 8's, and not the actual TP Sensor. I don't think you can 100% rule out the TP Sensor as causing your MIL code 8, but it seems less likely than wiring/connectors.

Because of the MIL problems I had, I've gotten into a habit of waiting several seconds after turning the ignition switch ON to ensure the MIL clears before I start the engine. In my case I would get a MIL before cranking the engine, that could sometimes be cleared by simply cycling the ignition switch. It is just a different set of condition that could cause/clear a MIL code between "Ignition switch on & engine not running" and "Ignition switch on & engine running." That information may be valuable when trying to determine what is causing a MIL code. Sorry, but I noticed you started the engine without letting the MIL clear before starting the engine at the end of the video.

Also observed that the NT's rpm was 1500 idling with the MIL code 8 in, and rpm was back to a normal 1200 with it MIL code cleared. Just interesting info.

There are 4 connectors between the ECM and the TP sensor that should be checked. Two ECM connectors, a 10 pin connector mid way to TP sensor, and the TP sensor connector. No reason to not have all of them checked before replacing an expensive throttle body. And there is no reason to suspect one connector over the other, they are all the usual suspects.

Oh, excellent idea using the GoPro. Not that exciting of a video to watch, but it could prove to pay for itself if it helps fix your troubles.

I've had 790 trouble free miles. Keeping my fingers crossed. Good Luck.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Not sure why the code didn't display the first time. Everything was done the same: Neutral, side stand down. It worked the second time. Not sure if she had the clutch pulled in on the first attempt or not. I don't think the NT has a switch on the clutch handle so I wouldn't expect holding the clutch in to have any impact. It was strange wasn't it? We've had it "hiccup" a few times and never illuminate the MIL. Maybe it just wasn't "bad" enough. ;)

Code 8 is complaining of a low/high voltage reading at the TPS. Movement of the TPS isn't necessary to indicate a high/low voltage issue. It just needs to be reading a certain voltage at a specific position. As you too experienced, there are times that when we turn the ignition to "ON", the TPS will illuminate and indicate a code of 8 and the engine hasn't been started nor the throttle touched. This was actually the case on that day. Turned the bike on and the MIL didn't clear as it should when first turning the bike on. Cycling the ignition saw the MIL clear but having seen that, I knew it wasn't fixed so we attached the GoPro and off we went.

The entire wiring harness has already been gone over with a fine tooth comb by the dealership last time. They tested all the connectors with their special Honda tool. They even thought they found that the TPS connector was a bit loose so they "fixed" it. Upon hearing this news, the dealership's tech only has two more places to look. The TPS (throttle body would need to be replaced) or the ECM. The dealership believes the TPS is the more likely culprit.

Good point about the idle speed. I'll bring that up with the dealership's technician. Although not particularly interested in the video (I suspect the tech just hates it when customers try and "diagnose" the problem), it may provide a little more insight into what's going on. The video sure is easier to "demonstrate" the problem than trying to explain it with words and hand gestures. :cool:

OP
OP
dnktng
Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
The NT has a switch inside the clutch lever. It's contact goes into the ECM. The logic allows you to start the engine with the clutch pulled in when transmission in gear. It also has some logic that makes a cold engine rev to ~2000 rpm with clutch released and in a gear (not neutral). I know this because my clutch switch sensor was in a permanent "clutch released" state after my deer accident. Id start the engine and it would be warming up at 1500 rpm, pull in clutch, put it in first gear and the rpm would jump to 2000. Also could not start engine when in gear, sidestand up, clutch pulled in because it was sensing a "clutch released."

Again though, I'm not 100% sure that the clutch needs to be released to read MIL codes, but that is the way I remember it.

If you take it to a shop and they replace either the ECM or Throttle Body you may want to ask to keep the replaced parts. If later some MIL codes comes back, you would have a known good Throttle Body or ECM to use or sell.

If the techs at your Honda shop strictly follow the Service Manual to troubleshoot a code 8-1 or 8-2 (low or high volts) the 10 pin connector is never disconnected, discussed, or checked in any way. It is somewhat forgotten and unless the tech looks at the wiring diagram or visually follow the wires from the TP sensor to the ECM they may not check it.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Ah, good to know on the clutch lever. Thanks!

I'm sure they followed the Service Manual on the checks which is why they are now looking at just the throttle body or ECM. Thanks for the observations on the RPM. I hadn't noticed the RPM thing which is an interesting tid-bit.

The NT has a switch inside the clutch lever. It's contact goes into the ECM. The logic allows you to start the engine with the clutch pulled in when transmission in gear. It also has some logic that makes a cold engine rev to ~2000 rpm with clutch released and in a gear (not neutral). I know this because my clutch switch sensor was in a permanent "clutch released" state after my deer accident. Id start the engine and it would be warming up at 1500 rpm, pull in clutch, put it in first gear and the rpm would jump to 2000. Also could not start engine when in gear, sidestand up, clutch pulled in because it was sensing a "clutch released."

Again though, I'm not 100% sure that the clutch needs to be released to read MIL codes, but that is the way I remember it.

If you take it to a shop and they replace either the ECM or Throttle Body you may want to ask to keep the replaced parts. If later some MIL codes comes back, you would have a known good Throttle Body or ECM to use or sell.

If the techs at your Honda shop strictly follow the Service Manual to troubleshoot a code 8-1 or 8-2 (low or high volts) the 10 pin connector is never disconnected, discussed, or checked in any way. It is somewhat forgotten and unless the tech looks at the wiring diagram or visually follow the wires from the TP sensor to the ECM they may not check it.

Bike
NT700va
All interesting followup but a question: Can we "jump" the contacts where the fuse goes for that # curcuit and find a high or low reading? This would be a simple test to see the actual voltage the sensor is sending. It would be easiest with a digital Simpson type of amp meter - giving Mrs Clause a hint of what would be a practical gift I would actually use and enjoy this Christmas.

Russ

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
My understanding is that you can take readings off the TPS easy enough. Any multi-meter can read the TPS voltage through the range of the potentiometer's movement. The trick is when the issue is intermittent. Ideally you recreate the MIL and then can test the TPS reading at that point. A bit hard when the MIL will sometimes read immediately but may wait 1000 miles before making an appearance.:(

I suppose you could make a harness to fit between the OEM wiring harness and the TPS connector at the throttle body and then connect that to a multi-meter that you secure to the handle bars. You could then be "at the ready" to see what the readings are at the point of failure.

I'm making use of our extended warranty. If the TPS wasn't part of the throttle body (making it a pricey replacement) I would have already had the new sensor installed to further eliminate that variable.

All interesting followup but a question: Can we "jump" the contacts where the fuse goes for that # curcuit and find a high or low reading? This would be a simple test to see the actual voltage the sensor is sending. It would be easiest with a digital Simpson type of amp meter - giving Mrs Clause a hint of what would be a practical gift I would actually use and enjoy this Christmas.

Russ

Last edited:
Top Bottom