maximum length cargo in the side bag pass-through?

Can someone tell me the maximum length cargo that I can carry in the side bag pass-through? With both the stock and deep lids, please? If I can get 30" of tent pole in there, it'll change everything about the way I pack. I may have a MotoFizz bag for sale at the end of this season.

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
Quick tape measurement and I come up with 26, maybe 27 inches. The diameter of the item may come into play seeing as the pannier lids are rounded.

OP
OP
Ripshod
Okay thanks. Actually I have a max pole length of 29" so I'll be lashing that down crossways behind the seat I guess.

Man, I can't wait till the end of the month when I'll be able to put my own tape measure to it. The next weekend after I get back with my new NT, I'm attending a motorcycle campers' rally just 50 miles from home. I have two motorcycles that I've set up luggage for and either of them can carry all my camping gear and make an impressive show of it.

If I have a brand new street bike to ride, I'll definitely want to take it there. We'll be camping at the foot of the Cherohala Skyway and I've ridden all those roads lots of times but this time with a brand-new-to-me bike. I'll only have a few days to arrange the gear on it. I should be okay for just the short trip but I might have to duct-tape the gear on to get it all down there.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
Cheap and easy suggestion if you do not have a rear top case, I picked up a soft sided cooler with a plastic hard inner liner at Wal Mart (about 20 bucks) and it works great bungied to the back "Rack" and seat via the grab rail. Holds a lot of stuff, keeps it dry, and easily removed and installed. I use it when I grocery shop on the NT and it even keeps the cold food cold on the way home!

skiper

I agree with Rocky on his solution. I did same - black and blue, looks good to me, practical, inexpensive / alternative use if doesn't work for you and can collapse flat ..

OP
OP
Ripshod
Actually the bike I'm getting does have a top case. Personally I've always preferred soft bags but I may rethink that once I have one. The only real space glitch I have is the set of Noah's Poles I carry for the tarp. They pack to 29" long so I pretty much have to find a place for them, then pack around that. Here's How I've been packing the ST for a lot of years:

You can see how I was able to just lash them onto the big bag and let them fly out back. Maybe I'll resort to laying them across the seat or maybe I'll take off the top box and come up with something completely different. I just know for a fact that I'll wish I had more time to pack.

And by the way, I am devising a scheme to install some panniers in front of the hard bags of my NT, sort of like in that picture. But they'll be nicer looking bags.

Last edited:

skiper

Novel idea with the soft panniers in front of hard bags. Like a big holster.. You may get pulled over at checkpoints for pistol running. If yu mount the poles vertical then have a place for flags.. :)

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Jerry,

With the large lids you will have on yours the pass through is right around 30". The small lids accept a 24" long part, not sure how much longer. I have put rolled blueprints in there and my tent poles are advertised as 24".

The trunk you will get is large enough to fit most of that duffel bag contents in it, and, still have room to strap another duffel across the passenger seat.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
The duffle has my tent, rain fly and sleeping bag in it. Everything else for 5 days of camping fit in the tank bag, trunk and side cases. And that was when I had the small lids on it :)

If I remember right......the trunk had all my clothes, stove and cooking stuff. Right side case had tools, spares, and rain gear. Left side had air bed, ground tarp, air pump for bed, tent stakes and towels. Tent poles went in pass through along with a tripod stool. Tank bag had first aid kit, extra gloves, hat, etc.

PS first pic is pass across Sierra Nevadas, second is North of Monterey along CA1.

Last edited:
Top Bottom