MC Cruise - Thoughts & Installation

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
First I wanted to thank 3 other forum members for their help and input before I made the investment in the MC Cruise for my bike. KathyL confirmed that the unit was worth the price as her cruise is working perfectly many years after first having it installed. The guidance during the installation from DarlyCincy (Darly) and KGNT ( Kevin) helped with the puzzle - fitting 10 pounds in a 1 pound space! As others have written on the forum in the past, the product and the materials used in the manufacturing of the cruise control are all first class. The detail and comprehensive instruction manuals (yes there are 3) that came with the unit were very well done with pictures and clearly written instructions.

My only challenge with the installation was with the servo unit that is fastened under the left hand side tip over bar. The NTs in Australia don't have the EVAP canister in that spot where the instructions want you to mount the servo, therefore it doesn't show the challenge of fitting it into the area called for. Thanks to pictures by DarlyCincy and a phone call with Kevin one evening, once I removed the EVAP canister and loosen the middle cowl, it is possible to squeeze the servo unit and bracket into the space under the tip over bar. To make it easier though, I used a larger stainless steel hose clamp that I had in my shop, and then cut the "tail" off the clamp once tighten down. Otherwise, I was unable to get my hands and tools into the area allotted to tighten the smaller diameter hose clamp that comes in the kit.

With the servo installed, the rest of the installation went smoothly. All the cabling, and electrical connections worked just perfectly. For anyone else who might wish to install the cruise control, two things that I did to help was first to buy a box of small Ziplock bags and everything that came off the bike was placed in a labeled bag to aid in putting everything back together at the end. The other thing that I did, since the installation ran over a couple of days, was to check off (√) each and every step as I completed it, and follow the instructions to the "T". When it was all done and I did the testing procedures as outlined, yet I was concerned that the engine rev'ed up beyond the specs called for in the manual. I send an email to Tony in Australia and he promptly called me back the next evening and walked me through the testing. All was 100% correct, so I was thrilled. I've been out on several rides locally and the cruise works great. While we don't have mountains in FL to test, on the few rises in elevation, it does seem to keep the bike within a 2 mph range as it ascends and descends which is about what I have on my car - this was tested via my GPS.

So, my conclusion is that now with the heated grips, Russell seat, air horn, additional lighting, wider pannier lids, and now the cruise control, I've turned my NT into a Poor Man's BMW - but actually, if you have the BMW, you're the poor man as the repairs and reliability aren't as good as the Honda - we all know that. Thanks again to the forum members for your help and advise. Jim

IMG_5889 copy.jpeg

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Our little group now has 3 or 4 strong proponents for the MC Cruise. :)

And I agree that installing the servo canister was the most trouble with everything else being easy-to-moderate difficulty.

OP
OP
ADK Jim

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
DirtFlier - I agree and wondered if the cable coming out of the servo was longer if we could not have simply used 2 hose clamps and placed the servo directly under the bracket that holds the EVAP canister in place. It would get it farther away from the heat of the engine and also make the installation a piece of cake. Started down that road, but worried that the cable might be bent at an angle that would not allow it to operated properly. Also, the square hole in the SS bracket should have been slightly wider for the hose clamp. When I spoke with Tony, he said it is a generic bracket they make and we could have enlarged the hole a bit which again would have angling the hose clamp again for easier overall installation too. Jim

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
My CC has a vacuum operated servo. I don't remember any problems mounting the servo.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
ADK Jim - I'd guess that to keep prices low, MC Cruise tries to utilize as many of the same parts as possible for its kits. And having different length actuator cables in different kits may be in that category. Yes, it would have been nicer with a slightly longer cable but all of us made it work!

Frosty - If I recall correctly, the nice instructional manual doesn't show anything on the left side near the tip-over protector once the plastic is removed. I'd bet that AUS doesn't get the model with a charcoal canister.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I had to pull up old pics to refresh my memory. I could not remember if there was a charcoal canister (there is). On my install, the vacuum actuator was on a bracket which used the bolts that held the tip bar. In the picture it is under the tip bar below the charcoal canister. I remember being concerned that it was so close to the fwd cylinder.
1594942891379.jpeg

The actuator cable did a u-turn from the back to the spool box which is mounted above the fwd cylinder.
1594943047759.jpeg

There is a white canister Vacuum Reservoir on the right side. The electric actuator seems that it would be simpler.
1594943254009.jpeg

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Your vacuum reservoir is twice as large as mine. I have mine installed under the right fairing pocket. And luckily for me, there are no big or long hills in Ohio so my smaller vacuum reservoir does OK! :)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I had thought the Mc Cruise had an electric servo like my Rostra CC (which isn't working) has. I had figured that a vacuum servo wouldn't do real well on the long climbs out here in the Mountain West.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I have posted before that on MT 80 mph roads, the thottle needs a little help to maintain speed uphill. I am pretty sure that it is a vacuum limit.

Side note for ADK Jim: Take a lot of pictures when you are taking things apart and the install. You never know when you need a reference. Good example here: Trying to connect VFR800 injector harness after cleaned injectors and new vacuum lines. I should have taken more pictures before removing the harness. :oops:

1594962057872.jpeg

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Looks like a "blue snake" mating ritual!
:ROFLMAO:

Mike

OP
OP
ADK Jim

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Phil - Yes my MC Cruise uses a electric servo. They have two sizes.
Frosty - I am sure they use as many parts as possible that work from bike to bike. Heck, awhile ago I discovered that Honda Civic automobiles & our NT700’s share parts too! The main thing the MC Cruise guys do is build custom wiring harnesses bike specific and calibrate the computer modules for each bike. For a small company, I think the product is pretty impressive.
Oh, I shot pictures, used ziplock bags, checked off the directions step by step and used a 1/2 dozen Harbor Freight magnetic part trays too boot. Whatever it takes not like my dad who always seemed to have parts & pieces left over when repairing the washing machine. As an engineer he would say, “those things aren’t necessary”. I am not so sure when you sitting on it at 60 mph!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I have posted before that on MT 80 mph roads, the thottle needs a little help to maintain speed uphill. I am pretty sure that it is a vacuum limit.
My Rostra cruise control has a "feature" that apparently works something like hitting the brakes or pulling in the clutch. If the throttle gets almost to wide open, the cruise control cuts out. That rarely happens except on long climbs at higher speeds. I've learned to downshift to 4th when I start up the longer hills. The bike doesn't mind the higher rpm.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Phil - did you try changing the control switch on your non-functioning Rostra?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I haven't been able to do that yet. I'm not "dextrous" enough since that dang deer shattered my left hand back in '16. My friend who's got that capability is struggling with prostate cancer. As soon as he gets past his chemo-therapy, I'll try to get him to do that. If he can't, I'll give it a shot. The Throttlemeister worked well all the way to Spearfish and back.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
You need to find some pals living nearby that have still functional working parts! :) :)

Top Bottom