MCL Bar Clamp with 12V Powerlet

tawilke46

Installed the MCL bar clamp and powerlet yesterday. A real easy install. Ran just 2 wires from my Fuzeblock to the clamp and install the clamp. Since the left side is getting a little cramped with all the wiring I have on that side, I ran this wire bundle on the right side. This install will allow me to have access to 12V power on the front of my bike.
Next is to get the power run into my tank bag to power cell phone, Ipods, heated gear, etc.
http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/album.php?albumid=199&attachmentid=3690

Last edited:
Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
Looks good, I put mine on last week but opted for the outlet to be in front so raising the tank is easier, but kind of blocked to reach the ingnition key, really not bad tho...

Bike
Silver NT700V
I'm still looking for a good place for the switch. I don't want it to "tether" anything removeable to the bike. (Already have that issue with the cig lighter in the right pocket but used enough wire that the pocket can moved around when off the mount.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

Looks good, I put mine on last week but opted for the outlet to be in front so raising the tank is easier, but kind of blocked to reach the ingnition key, really not bad tho...
I thought about that when I was installing the clamp. I just preferred the better access to the ignition. Plus the powerlet on the bottom is how it is shown on MCL website.
If I have to move the clamp to raise the gas tank (which won't be that often, I hope), I will just have to deal with it when the time comes.

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

I'm still looking for a good place for the switch. I don't want it to "tether" anything removeable to the bike. (Already have that issue with the cig lighter in the right pocket but used enough wire that the pocket can moved around when off the mount.)
Chuck, If you are referring to the Denali switch, yeah that was a little tricky. Could not find a good flat spot to put it without buying some kind of bracket like Rick did.
I have the wire lead double sticky taped to the side of the left glove box. I did think of using little u-shaped clamps, maybe with grommets, to screw to the side of the box to make it easier to remove. What I did was a lot easier to install. If I have to move the wire will just have to restick it down.
I still have to see how the sticky install holds up to the heat/cold and wet environments.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I got Twisted Throttle's little bracket which uses one of the clutch assembly clamp bolts. It was a PIA at first because the switch would hit the edge of my tank bag and turn the lights off. I had the same kind of issue on the right side with the switch for the heated hand grips.

I'm a tad slow, so it took me about four or five months to realize that if I took the brackets off and bent them, the tank bag wouldn't act as an automatic switch any more. Sure enough! No more troubles.

Top Bottom