Mechanical Stuff

Bike
2006 NT700, 2004 Vfr,
I may have already mentioned this but my wife and I are heading to Jolly Old then Spain and Portugal for 3 months riding this year. At the family castle in the UK there awaits 2 almost fresh (well low mileage) bikes.
A 2004-VRF 800 for me and the 2006-NT700 for my child bride.
On the VFR forum there are quite a few farkles that I like and will be doing, both repertory and electrical. But on this forum I haven't found anything really earth shattering on the electrical side and nothing on the plumbing side.
Is this bike that good that Honda got it all right!
For instance on the VFR there are 3 simple items alone on the air induction that apparently totally take away issues created by Honda getting the bike so lean it wasn't tractable until after 5k. My 2010 Ducati Multistrada is exactly the same, but that took a $500 mapper to fix.

just wonderin'

Michael

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Michael, the biggest issues I've heard of on the NT are the pannier latch flaws. I've had two final drive rebuilds in the 125,000+ miles I've ridden. Both were the result of Honda mechanics who failed to lube the drive splines with Honda Moly-60 after changing my rear tires. Other than that, I have had minor issues, but none that would have stopped me on a long trip. Honda got it pretty right!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
No fixups necessary on the induction or exhaust side for the NT. When you don't ask the engine to rev high and produce oodles of power, it's much easier to make the standard computer mapping do the job.

Speaking of that, a good friend installed one of those aftermarket devices to manipulate the fuel mixture on his wife's NT. He's 100% technically competent so I'm sure he tried all the variations. Several months later, I asked him if it made much difference and his reply was droll and succinct - "It does use more fuel now." :shrug2:

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The NT is one on the best sorted out motorcycles I have owned especially in the engine and running gear. I think you would be hard pressed to improved on it.

OP
OP
Bike
2006 NT700, 2004 Vfr,
Thanks all,
Tha sounds great. I did read the post about the final drive issues. The PO just put new rubber on. When I get to UK I'll call and ask him who did it?
Sounds like I just have stuff to fix on the VFR.
M

Top Bottom