Mexico or Belize Anyone?

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
For a long while now I've been toying with the notion of riding to Mexico. Maybe even Belize. Have any of you ridden to either one? Please note I don't consider border towns as a qualifying ride nor am I interested in hearing about fly-ins or cruise-ins, those are nice (I've done them) but what I'm looking for are accounts of genuine rides deep into Mexico and beyond. Since the NT is a relatively new player in the USA I'm particularly interested in hearing from anyone who's done a ride of this nature.

I've done quite a lot of reading & research and have truly enjoyed the dialog in this ADV thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546927

I know there are tons more sites & threads out there but if anyone has NT700 experience I love to hear about your exploits.

Thanks in advance,

LL75 :)

OP
OP
larrylarry75
Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Thanks for the link Chuck, it's great to read about rides like his. What I'm really looking for though is word from anyone who may have ridden an NT to Mexico; I'd like to hear how they fared with the roads, and the kind of roads they traveled, etc.

At this point in time I'm undecided whether or not I'll actually go but if I do I'll need to choose between my NT which is unproven, or my Ninja 650R or my Aprilia/Sputnik, both of which have done Alaska. The slightly higher saddle height of the NT calls for a bit more reserve when dealing with gravel, etc., so if anyone's actually been down there that's who I'd like to hear from.

Best,

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Thanks for the link Chuck, it's great to read about rides like his. What I'm really looking for though is word from anyone who may have ridden an NT to Mexico; I'd like to hear how they fared with the roads, and the kind of roads they traveled, etc.

At this point in time I'm undecided whether or not I'll actually go but if I do I'll need to choose between my NT which is unproven, or my Ninja 650R or my Aprilia/Sputnik, both of which have done Alaska. The slightly higher saddle height of the NT calls for a bit more reserve when dealing with gravel, etc., so if anyone's actually been down there that's who I'd like to hear from.

Best,

I think the NT is too new in the US for it to have made a trip that far south.

OP
OP
larrylarry75
Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Hi Paul,

OK you're paranoid. :rofl1: All kidding aside I thank you for your response and taking time to post the State Dept's travel warning. I've read it before and I agree with them, there is a certain amount of risk when traveling in or through Mexico but as their warning states "There is no evidence that U.S. tourists have been targeted by criminal elements due to their citizenship." They're really forced to include that as it's highly factual and to not do so would be outright deceitful.

It's interesting to note the fatality rate of US citizens in Mexico is actually about half that of those living in the US. It's a per-capita statistic but true nonetheless. OTOH if you really want to live dangerously take a ride through Detroit, America's most dangerous city...go for your ride on a Friday night, say around midnight. Sorry but I recently did some reading on the most dangerous cities in the world - you can Google it - and our own Detroit ranks as number five IN THE WORLD! Good grief, where do we go from here?

For a really in-depth and on-going report of what's happening in Mexico, particularly with respect to bikers I recommend reading the "Is Mexico Safe" thread in ADVriders site. There you will see all sides of the issue commented on by a lot of people, many of whom are very expert and others who's experience is limited to reading sensationalist news papers or watching television. Remember, the more sensational a story is the more newspapers and television shows will be read and watched, all of which generates money. Lots of money.

A number of the ADV posting members live in the most violent areas and provide detailed up-to-the-minute accountings of hostilities. Of particular note is the fact that all of the danger lies with those who are involved with the illegal drug trade; ordinary citizens and tourists have not experienced any danger when they follow common sense in their travels.

Sadly there have been incidents wherein Mexican citizens were killed or injured when caught between cross-fires involving rival drug cartel members. Those innocents were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time in hotly contested areas. Others who have been killed were driving SUV's or pickups that strongly resembled those favored by gangs and again, caught in the middle of a turf war. It's difficult for me to understand why anyone would choose to drive a black SUV into those areas knowing full well they could be targeted. It would be like wearing a deer costume in a hot hunting area on opening morning of hunting season. Go figure. To date no bikers have been involved in any of the skirmishes simply by avoiding those areas, at least during the times when confrontations are most likely to occur.

It would take up way too much space to do a comprehensive report regarding the topic of personal safety while motorcycling in Mexico; the ADVrider thread has reached over 5000 posts and is still going strong. I posted a link to that thread earlier for anyone who cares to learn more from real life riders and residents of Mexico; it's a worthwhile read.

Anyway thanks again for your consideration, I really appreciate what you're feeling and no, you're not being paranoid, just thinking and that's good. I hope you'll find time to have a look at the ADV thread, it's a facinating read and you may find it enlightening.

Best,

OP
OP
larrylarry75
Bike
2010 NT700V Red
I have ridden thru Mexico on way to Central America and done Baja----all no problem. I used Helix for several trips in Baja, Suzuki GS500E thru Mexico.

I see no problems----take care of insurance day before in US---sometimes cheaper too buy annual policy than just for trip time. Cross border early and clear towns right away.

Think NT would be fine for trip---I stopped at WalMart and bought case of water in US (Cheap Charlie) ---although I speak 3 languages, Spanish not one of them---I always get along/find cheap places to stay/eat-----of course when I see/saw McDonalds I always stop. Belize English Speaking. Just go and take your time
John,

I read your remarks and totally spaced it, meant to say thank you but didn't. Bad manners here, sorry. :eek:

Interesting that you rode a Helix down there, it's one of the scooters I've admired but never owned or ridden. Came close but ended up with a Piaggio MP3 500 that's fun to ride but doesn't inspire my confidence for a trip that long. The Suzuki GS550 I'm familiar with, I owned a '78 and really liked it, it was the first 6-speed for me.

I think you're right about the NT being fine for the trip, others have said the same so it will likely be the one. If I go that is, the jury's still out on that score but every day I'm leaning further towards going. I wish I spoke even a little Spanish but my communication skills with smiling and pointing have served me well in the past so I think that part will be OK. I've only been to Mexico a couple of times but didn't have any trouble and really enjoyed it.

Thanks again for the suggestions, especially on buying a year's worth of insurance, that's a good tip.

silverdevil

getting in to Mexico is a lot easier if you have a clear title to the bike. I would check this out before you start there.
I have been about 400 miles in many years ago and I went it with a 1500 Wing. the roads are not bad but of course there are bad spots.
I would not go there now, just my opinion.

OP
OP
larrylarry75
Bike
2010 NT700V Red
getting in to Mexico is a lot easier if you have a clear title to the bike. I would check this out before you start there.
I have been about 400 miles in many years ago and I went it with a 1500 Wing. the roads are not bad but of course there are bad spots.
I would not go there now, just my opinion.
Thanks Silver Devil,

Good reminder about the title. I've got it and will make copies for back-ups, same as with most important docs. Officials sometimes insist on keeping them so I don't like to hand over the originals.

I figured the roads I'll be traveling will be in fair condition and probably a lot better than some I've seen in Alaska. About the only device I expect to install is one of Ernie Bell's Bigfoot sidestand pads. I have one on the Ninja and it's a lot handier to use than fussing with those little pads or crushed beer cans and it allows you a lot greater selection of places to park.

I'm presuming your last comment about not going there now is probably related to the negative reports about personal safety? I've responded to that in previous posts but if it's based on something else I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks again,

Top Bottom