Michelin Pilot Road 5

Bike
2011 Black NT700
I'm in need of some new tires to replace my Pilot Road 4s. Those using the Road 5s what are your thoughts and opinions?
Thanks for you help, Clint
And if not the Road 5 what would you go with?

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Re: Michelin Road 5

Road 5s are being mounted tomorrow. So, my only experience so far has been carrying them into the shop when I delivered my bike today between rain showers. I'll know more in a couple of weeks by the time I get to the West Virginia NT Rally.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Re: Michelin Road 5

[...my only experience so far has been carrying them into the shop...between rain showers...Phil]

So how was the wet grip? :rofl1:

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
First impression of these tires after ~300 miles is pretty good after a spirited back roads ride yesterday. Much happier with them than the BT-023s I replaced. More confidence and feel at all stages of cornering, most notably never felt the front starting to wash out or lock on entry despite being much more aggressive. That said I was still surprised to see that I had gotten the rear all the way down to both shoulders when I got home. Haven't done any wet or gravel riding yet to be able to comment on that. Got to do some riding on a road with plenty of fresh tar snakes, these tires roll over them pretty well as long as the bike is settled. They squirm a fair bit if you're transitioning when you hit one, but don't seem to actually give up much grip. Still more stable than the Bridgestones were, but less than the Pilot Activs on my K75.

OP
OP
daler
Bike
2011 Black NT700
Thank you to all for your insight and opinion. I'm going with the Dunlop Roadsmart III. It seems to have good reviews and is cheaper than the Pilot Road 5s. Also comes with a $75 rebate.
Thanks again, Clint

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I have been running a mostly Bridgestone tires over the years. I liked both the BT-023 & T30 EVO and their mileage was between 6-8k. The grip was good for many types of riding styles, commuting, twisties and etc.

Bridgestone has recently introduced the T31. I will be transiting to these tires on my next tire changes. BATTLAX SPORT TOURING T31

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Well, I won't be able to start giving feedback about the Pilot 5s tomorrow. The shop called to let me know that I've got bad front wheel bearings. They've ordered the parts and, based on what happened the last time, I'm guessing I'll have the bike back next Wednesday or Thursday. Shucks!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
How many miles do you have on those front wheel bearings? Well, I hope they take care of it in time for you to make the WV gathering! :)

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Well, I won't be able to start giving feedback about the Pilot 5s tomorrow. The shop called to let me know that I've got bad front wheel bearings. They've ordered the parts and, based on what happened the last time, I'm guessing I'll have the bike back next Wednesday or Thursday. Shucks!
On the bright side it is much better to find bad wheels bearings in the shop rather than halfway to West Virginia...:eek1: Have you ever had your stem bearings checked?

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Thank you to all for your insight and opinion. I'm going with the Dunlop Roadsmart III. It seems to have good reviews and is cheaper than the Pilot Road 5s. Also comes with a $75 rebate.
Thanks again, Clint
You won't be sorry!

Mike

Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
On the bright side it is much better to find bad wheels bearings in the shop rather than halfway to West Virginia...:eek1: Have you ever had your stem bearings checked?
Wayne got something there about steering head bearings, most of the time there loose from the factory or its just that when they seat in fast and get lose and if not checkout and adjusted they will where out in no time if checked and adjusted early they should last quite a while.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
My front wheel bearings had 40K and my steering head bearings have 68K. They aren't the standard bearing, but are All Balls tapered-roller bearings which were recommended by my mechanic.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
It seems to me that unless you intend to do a lot of on-purpose rain riding, there is no reason to spend Michelin $$. I have run two different sets of Michelin (3s and 4s) and found them no better (or durable) than any Dunlop or Continental tires I have run since.
My next new set will most likely be either Roadsmart IIIs or Conti Motions

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
You may be right. The only Roadsmart I've used was a Roadsmart 2 that was squared off at 8,954 miles. The BT-30 Contis I had were replaced at 8200 miles, but the front probably would have gone another 3-4K. The rear was squared off and wouldn't have lasted more than another 1-2K. Since I was leaving on a 5-6K trip, I replaced them with the PR4s that are being replaced now. They lasted over 12K and, as per usual, the front had at least another 4-5K on it. The rear would have lasted another 1-2K, but I'm leaving on a 5-6K trip. These Pilot 5s will get me through the year in all likelihood.

OP
OP
daler
Bike
2011 Black NT700
The Roadsmart 3s are on their way from Revzilla.:black1:

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I will say that Phil rides so much that he routinely gets caught in rain and even snow, so the PR5s are a good buy for his application
People who only ride in perfect weather and don’t engage in spirited riding can get by with a less expensive tire

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
the roadsmart 2 front tire is my highest mileage front I tried. got as high as 26,399, 2nd best was 22,457. the rear tire, buying a premium tire does have benefits. PR4 got as high as 16,835 to lowest 12,811. mostly 14K to 16K makes for less changes

Top Bottom