Michelin Road 5 Trail

Bike
Bloom Red 2010 NT700v
Today was an unusual day... as I headed down the Interstate at about 70 mph, I had a sensation similar to a tire following a groove where there was none. Next I start hearing a rumbling sound similar to a worn out bearing. Then the handling was becoming very strange with steering input to the handle bars seemingly ignored by the machine. By now I realized I had a flat rear tire and had gotten over to the shoulder. Fortunately there was an exit ramp so I got off freeway to a surface street. At very slow speed, I found the tire was staying on the bead so I limped on home almost another mile. I arranged to have the NT hauled to the tire store for replacement.

As the title states this tire is a Road 5 Trail which as I understand was actually purposed for heavier adventure machines. I feel this contributed to the beads staying in place on the wheel while I limped home - stiffer sidewalls? The cause of the flat is unknown due to arriving at the shop for pickup right at closing time and no comment was made on the repair order. When I made the original purchase, I opted for road hazard insurance, and this time it payed off for me. I have a new tire installed and I'm back in action. Hope this tire will be able to show me what mileage I will get when replacement is due to tread wear out.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Why did you opt for the Road 5 trail may I ask?

Mike

OP
OP
Rusty_Iron
Bike
Bloom Red 2010 NT700v
The choice was made based on the tire store's confusion about stock on hand the day I purchased the tire.

The Trail's tread design is identical in appearance to the Road 5 that I have installed on the front. I decided to try the Road 5's based on a very positive experience I had with PR4's.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I must be mistaken then. I thought the Road 5 was for sport touring and the Road 5 Trail was for ADV bikes, the Trail version having a more aggressive tread pattern.

Mike

Top Bottom