Mid Aughts BMWs?

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Im always looking at used bikes to see what I might buy if and when I move on from my NT. I see a lot of mid 2000 BMW dressers in the 3K to 5K range and they usually look really good. And you can tell they have been cared for, too.

I have always jokingly said "I could afford to BUY a BMW, but I can't afford to OWN a BMW!"

Does anyone have experience with the pros and cons of a 20 yr old BMW?

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I have a 1987 BMW R80 that I bought new in 1987. So it is a lot older than 20 years. However, I am simply amazed that I can still get parts, no matter what, for the bike. I needed a new ignition coil, and it was in stock. Everything down to hoses, bolts, etc. Amazing.
I really like the fact that I can do all the maintenance myself. I have never been to a dealer beyond the included 'break in service' at 600 miles (the bike now has 128,000 on it). This is especially true of the boxer engine bikes where the cylinders stick out and the valves are 'right there'. No bodywork to remove to get to them.
I've found that most BMW owners like to look at and add farkles to their bikes, but only ride them occasionally. So you can find a good used BMW with 15K miles on it that has been in a garage all its life. A riding buddy of mine just picked up a R1200RT with 10K miles for $5K, which is just astounding. Those bikes will run for 200K without a hitch.

Bike
‘10 NT700VA ‘10 HD Trike
Im always looking at used bikes to see what I might buy if and when I move on from my NT. I see a lot of mid 2000 BMW dressers in the 3K to 5K range and they usually look really good. And you can tell they have been cared for, too.

I have always jokingly said "I could afford to BUY a BMW, but I can't afford to OWN a BMW!"

Does anyone have experience with the pros and cons of a 20 yr old BMW?
So easy to work on. Pretty simple mechanically, but parts are pricey but plentiful. You’ll be amazed how smooth they are too. I actually just sold a 2003 R series and I’m missing it.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Heck, I have a new ('21 RT) one and it's been the easiest bike to work on than pretty much any other bike I've had (Wings, Super Tenere, Tracer 900, VStrom 650, ST1300s).

Valve checks are simple... I did buy tools from a guy that fabricates the ones you need but they were a fraction of the cost compared to what you'd have to buy from BMW and he has videos on the process. The OBDII connector gives you all the info you need to reset the maint interval or check codes and it will even pulse the brakes after a fluid change to help get all the air out (haven't tried that yet). I connect to it with a BT OBDII and a motoscan app on my phone or tablet. Yeah, it has tons of tech but it all works and works well.

I held off getting the RT because of all the things you hear about BMW bikes like final drive issues, electrical issues, etc... however, EVERY bike has issues, there's not a single one out there that doesn't have an issue, weak spot, design flaw or something that may drive the owner crazy... lol 'er'

This is my first BMW and I usually get bored or start looking for a replacement for the current bike 2-3 years into ownership for some reason, too heavy, too light, short range tank, bad ergonomics, wind management... etc... This bike has been the best so far and I'll think about maybe getting a 2nd lighter bike for short local rides but then I get on the RT and it's just perfect.. 100 miles or 1100 miles it just works and all the tech works well too. I say that with the exception of BMW's Connected App which is hideous so I don't really use it, the Zumo XT is good enough. They should have allowed mirroring for Android Auto and Car Play, that would have made more sense - kudos to Honda for doing that on the Wing.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with older BMWs ... more about BMW in general.

But, if I was looking for an older cheap and good bike.. The VFR 750/800 would be what I'd look for...

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
But, if I was looking for an older cheap and good bike.. The VFR 750/800 would be what I'd look for...
I really should be looking at metric cruisers for the low seat height but I have vowed not to... The only metric cruisers that ever really looked good were the 1st gen Suzuki Intruders from the 80s 90s and early aughts. But I've already had one of those.
More than likely I will ride the NT until I cant get on and off.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Don't laugh, but the scooters that allow pass thru seating are pretty awesome these days... I was on an ST1300 in the hills in NC and got passed by a Burgman 650 2-up like I was standing still.. any 650 will handle curves better due to the lighter weight but once I noticed a scooter passed me I just kept laughing..

They are plenty fast enough.. don't let the word scooter turn you off to them.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Don't laugh, but the scooters that allow pass thru seating are pretty awesome these days... I was on an ST1300 in the hills in NC and got passed by a Burgman 650 2-up like I was standing still.. any 650 will handle curves better due to the lighter weight but once I noticed a scooter passed me I just kept laughing..

They are plenty fast enough.. don't let the word scooter turn you off to them.
Yeah Joe, the Burgman is certainly an option.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Here is a killer deal if anybody wants to get into a FJR1300

2013 FJR 1300
For Sale
Leave A ReviewMessage Seller
[IMG alt="Rich Doyle"]https://www.fjrowners.com/d3/avatars/s/203/203578.jpg?1614066514[/IMG]
Rich Doyle0.00 star(s) (0.0) 0 reviews

$4,000 USD
Prineville, Oregon
4h ago

20K miles. I find I hardly ever ride it any more. Comes with Garmin 590 GPS, Barkbusters handgrip wind deflectors. Everything works. Sometime soon you'd want to change tires and brake pads. Also about due for an oil change.
Some other stuff it comes with, should you want it: 3 helmets w/BT headsets, brake blended gizmo, 6 extra windshields of various designs, and more. Front brake switch recall done. Everything works great.
More miscellaneous stuff available if you want it. Otherwise these things are getting tossed so it's all free.

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
My 650 Burgman was a very comfortable long distance cruiser. I put10,000 miles on it in two years, including a trip to Banf & Jasper one summer from Albuquerque. Huge carrying capacity, excellent fuel economy, superb wind protection, and acceleration that put many motorcycles to shame. I felt like it was a mini-GoldWing. Just have to get over the stigma of riding a “scooter.” But, it didn’t bother my ego at all. LOL

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
Even though the 650 ‘Burg has a low CG, it was still heavy as a brick. I picked it up just once off the garage floor - holy cow, way over 600 pounds. Empty.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
In 2019 I traded my NT in on a mid size Yamaha XMAX scooter. It is 200 lbs lighter than the NT and with its low center of gravity it’s much easier for me to handle with my 5’7”, 145 lb body. It’s not for everyone but I have no regrets as it is a much better commuter in city traffic and as an in town errand getter. Also a good weekend rider on the back roads. Averaging 80+ mpg is also nice. While it can handle interstate travel speeds that is not its cup of tea and I suspect for most on this forum it is probably too big a step down in size and performance.

Reactions: JQL
Top Bottom