Milling debris in caliper bracket sliding pin bore

Peaches was due for a brake fluid change, so I thought I would address the right front brake pads dragging slightly. I chalked it up to brake fluid service interval neglect by a previous owner, so I took the caliper off figuring to just clean up any corrosion in the Piston bores and change the seals. As I was cleaning the old grease out of the larger of the two caliper bracket sliding pin bores, I pull out the Q-tip and over 1 inch of curled up spiral Milling debris was jammed into the bottom of the bore! I will try to attach pictures of this, and also the caliper Pistons as seen upon removal. Notice the top piston, middle piston, and rear piston are not extended equally. The middle piston sticks out more than the top piston, and the bottom piston sticks out more than the middle. This debris is probably what was causing my pads to drag, because the caliper could not float evenly on the brake disc. As long as it's out I'm going to change the seals and clean things up anyway, but, all I can say is, well... Made in Spain, not Japan.

Actually, screw it. I just tried pressing the Pistons back into their bores, and all three moved freely, with equal finger pressure, with no binding or sticking. I'm just going to pop the Pistons out a little bit with a little compressed air to clean the exposed area of the Pistons of dust and debris, then button it back up and see what happens.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
That is quite a hunk of trash in that slider hole.
Hopefully with that cleaned up your brakes will squeeze down evenly again.

Brad

Top Bottom