Missing Bolts Right Crankcase Cover

Ron Hudson

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V..95PC800
Had Honda Dealer to handle Warranty work and replace the Pulse Generator Sensor..
Got it back and lever looked at the cover, Now see 2 missing bolts and top bolt not completely seated..
Are these missing ? or blanks.. I'm thinking missing looking at Service Manual page 11-5 top picture. thanks
1631465783501.png1631465892595.png

Moto-Kafe

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I believe the top one is missing........doesn't it hold the cable clamp per the microfich diagram for "Right Crankcase Cover" (Cheap Cycle Parts.com is what I use). Should be a 6M x 35mm.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
If the dealer did the work, then they are responsible to put everything back to factory specifications. I would take the bike back to them and speak to the Service Manager and point out the issues. Then remind him that his people did the work and the dealership has a responsibility and contractual obligation to perform the work to factory specifications. I personally would let him know that I would be contacting North American Honda regarding this issue.

Yes I agree with Brillot2000, make them repair that shoddy work.

It‘s a shame but I have found things like this happen fairly often. We thought we would try a local family owned auto repair shop for an oil change. They informed my wife she needed a new air filter immediately and a cabin air filter which was odd because both filters were changed by me a few months ago. My wife said no thanks and let them do the oil change and moved on.

The next day my wife noticed her glove box door was slamming open instead of its normal slow well damped opening. Upon inspection I noticed the little dampener was not attached to the door. I got to thinking about the air filter and sure enough the cover was fully not fully secured, both procedures required no tools and I can change both filters in five minutes and yet the shop somehow screwed that up. A call to the shop manager resulted in a free future service but I don’t think we will use them ever again.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Yes, the bolt is missing and the other doesn't seemed to be seated so I would take it back to the dealer and ask the service manager to have the tech revisit his work and complete the repairs. I would suggest a much less aggressive approach than Brillot suggests however.... coming on strong when someone makes a mistake seldom solves the problem amicably. The service manager knows the tech screwed up, the service manager also knows that they have an obligation to make it right. Threatening him by saying that you will call Honda will accomplish nothing. Give them a chance to make it right. All of us make mistakes... we are after all, human.

Mike

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Yes, the bolt is missing and the other doesn't seemed to be seated so I would take it back to the dealer and ask the service manager to have the tech revisit his work and complete the repairs. I would suggest a much less aggressive approach than Brillot suggests however.... coming on strong when someone makes a mistake seldom solves the problem amicably. The service manager knows the tech screwed up, the service manager also knows that they have an obligation to make it right. Threatening him by saying that you will call Honda will accomplish nothing. Give them a chance to make it right. All of us make mistakes... we are after all, human.

Mike
Compromise, if it's still not right, then call Honda Corporate Headquarters.

Mistakes are one thing, missing hardware is another. Especially when it was previously there when you first brought it in.

Allowing anyone to try to get away with shotty work does not address the issue. Nor is being passive-aggressive regarding it.

You as the consumer have rights under the Bureau of Automotive Repairs. The work order you had signed was to be down under "Good Faith" and it was expected the work to be done to factory-recommended procedures for that particular vehicle under the agreement. Stand on the grounds that the work was not done correctly and it can pose a "Safety Concern" and the possibility of other related failures with your vehicle.

As Mike said, be cordial and respectful on the initial reporting. Thereafter you can be more aggressive and exercise your consumer rights under the governing state's laws regarding vehicle repairs. You paid them to do the job in "Good Faith" and they have the obligation to make it right at "No Charge" to you.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Ron Hudson

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V..95PC800
Compromise, if it's still not right, then call Honda Corporate Headquarters.

Mistakes are one thing, missing hardware is another. Especially when it was previously there when you first brought it in.

Allowing anyone to try to get away with shotty work does not address the issue. Nor is being passive-aggressive regarding it.

You as the consumer have rights under the Bureau of Automotive Repairs. The work order you had signed was to be down under "Good Faith" and it was expected the work to be done to factory-recommended procedures for that particular vehicle under the agreement. Stand on the grounds that the work was not done correctly and it can pose a "Safety Concern" and the possibility of other related failures with your vehicle.

As Mike said, be cordial and respectful on the initial reporting. Thereafter you can be more aggressive and exercise your consumer rights under the governing state's laws regarding vehicle repairs. You paid them to do the job in "Good Faith" and they have the obligation to make it right at "No Charge" to you.
Thanks for the response... to be clear, there are 2 empty bolts holes on the face.. do these both need a bolt ?
They appear both need a bolt according to the manual picture..

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
If you haven't already, before taking in to the service dept check the remaining bolts/screws. It could be bad if more are loose/missing and cover comes loose and oil leaks.

Brad

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Thanks for the response... to be clear, there are 2 empty bolts holes on the face.. do these both need a bolt ?
They appear both need a bolt according to the manual picture..
The hole below the "HONDA" impression and the dipstick do not require a bolt. My bike is also void of one in this area.

All bolts must be flush against the case. Also, there is supposed to be a bolt above the dipstick towards the left upper corner.

I wish you luck with the dealer regarding this issue. Again, stand on the grounds that work was not done correctly under the work order's "Good Faith" agreement.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Update.... Honda Dealer apologized for the error and made it right.. All Bolts secured.
Service Manager appreciated the opportunity to correct and addressed his young Tech in shop..
On ward..
Excellent news! That's what I suspected would happen. As my Grandma used to say, "You attract more flies with honey than you do vinegar".

Mike

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Excellent news! That's what I suspected would happen. As my Grandma used to say, "You attract more flies with honey than you do vinegar".

Mike
I feel compelled to share the following regarding the other side of that coin.

As both my parents and grandparents use to say. "A sucker is born every second." I am just saying...

I use the 2-N method for most cases in situations such as this. Try "Nice" if they do not respond well to that. Then off to "Nasty" and leveraging all applicable laws regarding the situation. That's how I got Zero Motorcycles to buy back that "Lemon" they produced.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
It‘s a shame but I have found things like this happen fairly often. We thought we would try a local family owned auto repair shop for an oil change. They informed my wife she needed a new air filter immediately and a cabin air filter which was odd because both filters were changed by me a few months ago. My wife said no thanks and let them do the oil change and moved on.
Yes, this happens often. I took my Chevrolet Sonic in for an oil change and the dealer's "service writer" came up to me looking like he was at a funeral. He calmly stated that the mechanic checked the automatic transmission fluid and found it to be very dirty and it could cause transmission failure. They recommend a $400 'flush', but I should really get the $600 flush and filter change. I asked him "so your mechanic checked the automatic transmission fluid?". The writer said "yes". I said "well he should get his eyes checked". The writer said "sir, that's not called for". I said "sure it is. My car has a manual transmission".

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I feel compelled to share the following regarding the other side of that coin.

As both my parents and grandparents use to say. "A sucker is born every second." I am just saying...

I use the 2-N method for most cases in situations such as this. Try "Nice" if they do not respond well to that. Then off to "Nasty" and leveraging all applicable laws regarding the situation. That's how I got Zero Motorcycles to buy back that "Lemon" they produced.
Since you felt compelled to my reply, I feel likewise to reply to you. I wouldn't have mentioned my "alternative" approach had you recommended the first "N" of your system. Rather, you chose to resort to your second "N" and hit 'em between the eyes with nasty and tried to intimidate them with their legal obligations and advising them that you would call Honda. You said in a follow up post that a mistake is one thing, but loose parts are something else..... well if they aren't a mistake, then what are they?? Hmmmmm..... You mention a "Good Faith" agreement on a work order, can you please direct me to a copy of a work order that uses that terminology. Your grandparents taught you that "a sucker is born every second"..... it is truly a shame that you were raised to be such a cynic. Life must be terrible not to be able to trust anyone.

Mike

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Since you felt compelled to my reply, I feel likewise to reply to you. I wouldn't have mentioned my "alternative" approach had you recommended the first "N" of your system. Rather, you chose to resort to your second "N" and hit 'em between the eyes with nasty and tried to intimidate them with their legal obligations and advising them that you would call Honda. You said in a follow up post that a mistake is one thing, but loose parts are something else..... well if they aren't a mistake, then what are they?? Hmmmmm..... You mention a "Good Faith" agreement on a work order, can you please direct me to a copy of a work order that uses that terminology. Your grandparents taught you that "a sucker is born every second"..... it is truly a shame that you were raised to be such a cynic. Life must be terrible not to be able to trust anyone.

Mike
You do not know half of it. Trauma was a big part of that upbringing as well. ;)

Good Faith Law and Legal Definition

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
If you will read your "Good Faith" law carefully you will find that it applies only to the exchange of merchandise, or the exchange of financial instruments or labor law. It's not that what you know is the problem, it's what you know that ain't so. Having said that, a consumer has a reasonable expectation of good service when he enters into a transaction with a service provider. If one does not receive the service that he expects, it is his obligation to approach the service provider with the problem. This can be done in a know-it-all, nasty, in your face approach or it can be done as a gentleman. My experience has been as both a consumer and service provider that in virtually every instance, the latter approach is much more successful than the former. Trauma in your upbringing does not preclude you from acting like a gentleman.

Mike

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
If you will read your "Good Faith" law carefully you will find that it applies only to the exchange of merchandise, or the exchange of financial instruments or labor law. It's not that what you know is the problem, it's what you know that ain't so. Having said that, a consumer has a reasonable expectation of good service when he enters into a transaction with a service provider. If one does not receive the service that he expects, it is his obligation to approach the service provider with the problem. This can be done in a know-it-all, nasty, in your face approach or it can be done as a gentleman. My experience has been as both a consumer and service provider that in virtually every instance, the latter approach is much more successful than the former. Trauma in your upbringing does not preclude you from acting like a gentleman.

Mike

Update.... Honda Dealer apologized for the error and made it right.. All Bolts secured.
Service Manager appreciated the opportunity to correct and addressed his young Tech in shop..
On ward..
That is how service is supposed to work. Congratulations on finding a good dealer.

Top Bottom